Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.
2 hours ago, WalsallWeather123 said:

Great weather today. Clearly the best day of the winter. Nice and warm

Good to see another member from Walsall, the number continues to rise :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 hours ago, WalsallWeather123 said:

Great weather today. Clearly the best day of the winter. Nice and warm

best day for me was 10th-11th Dec

Posted

Ah, the warm kiss of TM air for the first time in what's felt like months, how I've missed you. I'll even forgive your drizzle to be rid of those freezing winds.

• Like 1

Posted

2 days of mild rubbish I am bored already. How anyone can actually like mild weather at this time of year is beyond me. Utterly miserable and dreary conditions. Roll on the next cold spell!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather
3 hours ago, MattStoke said:

2 days of mild rubbish I am bored already. How anyone can actually like mild weather at this time of year is beyond me. Utterly miserable and dreary conditions. Roll on the next cold spell!

I dunno, I quite like the mildness today as it hasn't been gloomy and it is nice to not have to layer up to walk the dog. That said I prefer the two days of mild and back to cold scenario.

People who beg for snow are irrational thinking people. Yes it may be nice to look at but it can be potentially dangerous. In the midlands public transport was terrible, I saw numerous people slip over and bang their heads and schools were shut everywhere. So if think a bit of snow just so you can get excited is more important than people earning a living, childrens education and the general safety and wellbeing of people, particularly the elderly, then you are quite frankly deluded.

Posted

not quite sure where your coming from here, I too saw a few accidents, mainly low speed fender bumps, but some people will drive out when conditions are poor (i know some have no choice, but many do.) Some of the driving skills on show were terrible, people going way to fast on hills with approaching corners, heavy braking, to high a gear, not being patient, or giving space to others, the list goes on. I even saw people driving up to the moors 275 to 350 metres, 6 inches of snow, with semi blizzard conditions, and NOT in a four by four, I,m mean why risk it, take the main roads instead. As for schools being shut, well lets get real, in these modern times it seems any excuse to shut a school, some even shut with just 2 to 3cms, I dont know how they would of coped in the 70s or 80s when snow was measured in good old feet and inches

weather is weather, what about fog, or heat waves in summer, all potentially more dangerous than snow, or wind storms.

6 minutes ago, marksp said:

not quite sure where your coming from here, I too saw a few accidents, mainly low speed fender bumps, but some people will drive out when conditions are poor (i know some have no choice, but many do.) Some of the driving skills on show were terrible, people going way to fast on hills with approaching corners, heavy braking, to high a gear, not being patient, or giving space to others, the list goes on. I even saw people driving up to the moors 275 to 350 metres, 6 inches of snow, with semi blizzard conditions, and NOT in a four by four, I,m mean why risk it, take the main roads instead. As for schools being shut, well lets get real, in these modern times it seems any excuse to shut a school, some even shut with just 2 to 3cms, I dont know how they would of coped in the 70s or 80s when snow was measured in good old feet and inches

weather is weather, what about fog, or heat waves in summer, all potentially more dangerous than snow, or wind storms.

I probably came across too harsh but people like MattStoke clearly don't think when all they want is snow. The past couple of days have been much better weather wise due to general safety. Safety is far more important than getting excited over snow

Posted

Rain and wind, often associated with mild winter weather causes plenty of disruption.

Plenty of young, able bodied people manage to get around perfectly fine in snow, and in far greater amounts of snow than we ever see. Others, of course prefer to moan and whine instead of manning up and getting on with it. God forbid people should have to actually drive with care instead of speeding (like so many do normally), and spend a little time clearing snow off their windscreen.That is such terrible hardship! The only people I have sympathy with are the elderly and disabled in such conditions.

Funny, I saw no disruption whatsoever. Roads were clear, buses were running and trains were running. There were more people out than usual, enjoying the snow. 

I would take walking in snow, which is an absolute doddle most of time, over walking in torrential rain and wind and sweating my backside off in the humidity, which is horrendous.

Deluded? Nope. I just prefer to get on with it and make the most of things instead of using it as an excuse to whine and to not get things done. 

• Like 1

I didn't say torrential rain doesn't cause disruption. I was just stating that the past 2 days were far better for everyone vs 10 December where the whole of the public transport was cancelled in Walsall and Birmingham. Clearly you didnt have it as bad it Stoke. No one can deny that these last 2 days were safer condtions for driving and walking

Posted

i surpose its also relative to your location, in the Peak District you learn to drive in heavy snow, ice, and roads with quite frankly dangerous drifts, i love the snow, 3 feet to 6 feet drifts fab, but sensible footwear helps, but my partner hates it, even bought those funny ice crampon things that she attaches to her boots, even when theres only 5cms of snow !

the bigger problem as always is ice.

evening walks around the town at midnight, when no traffic and you can enjoy the deep snow is fab, but so is a hot balmy day in summer, may be 85 touching 90, with possible thunderstorm to break the humidity, then heat resets for the next day.  :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it
57 minutes ago, WalsallWeather123 said:

People who beg for snow are irrational thinking people. Yes it may be nice to look at but it can be potentially dangerous. In the midlands public transport was terrible, I saw numerous people slip over and bang their heads and schools were shut everywhere. So if think a bit of snow just so you can get excited is more important than people earning a living, childrens education and the general safety and wellbeing of people, particularly the elderly, then you are quite frankly deluded.

I genuinely don't give a monkeys about safety. Or the odd person slipping over and banging their head. Or the odd school being closed. Don't care. I do care about the drama of weather; the thrill of a blizzard; the joy of childrens sledging etc. Life is dangerous end of. The point of life is not to get through it without putting a plaster on. None of us are getting out of here alive. :-)

Bring on the snow. Bring on the blizzards. Bring on the traffic chaooooooossssssss :-) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Hmm. I find walking in mild winter weather to be far worse. I hate getting wet and bathed in sweat. Dreading the drenching and battering from the rain and wind tomorrow morning.

Those who moan about snow ruining their lives (*rolls eyes*) couldn't care less about the mild winter misery for me, so it makes it difficult for me to sympathise with them!

Walking in snowy and/or cold conditions is much better. Much easier to keep cool, nicer scenery, less idiots speeding and less noisy boy racers. Fresh snow is easy to walk on. It's only difficult to walk when it gets a little warmer and partially melts the snow which freezes into ice overnight. Or if it rains and creates sheet ice (The number of times I hear people rejoicing about rain 'washing the snow away' when all it does is create ice...).

Even just cold and dry with no snow would be better than mild.

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Well we have a snow hater on board and very rude one at that, we are all irrational and dueled on here then :crazy: the only one deluded is this very rude poster on this Midlands thread who thinks this is some kind of heath & safety thread....this is what I think of your opinions :bad:

Edit,   I know where you would be very welcome.......The model thread :rofl:

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot dry summers and very mild winters

I wonder how strong the wind will be overnight? Not sure my fence can take another battering like the other week

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Squall line just passed through here at 8:30.

Torrential rain with 100 meters visibility and very gusty wind..

Temperature dropped from 13.0C to 7.8C in 20 minutes.

I have recorded 6.2 mms of rain in about 20 minutes.

MIA 

Edit 10 mins after and rain now lighter and temperature has dropped to 7.7C

So quite an impressive drop in temp across the front. 

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted

Managed to avoid the squall, so only got slightly wet and and battered. Still bathed in sweat though. Oh mild winter weather is just so great!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
24 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Managed to avoid the squall, so only got slightly wet and and battered. Still bathed in sweat though. Oh mild winter weather is just so great!

Matt..

We are still getting rain... didn't you get wet?

Temperature is also still falling at 6.7C now. 9.3 mms of steady rain now this morning.

MIA

Posted
1 hour ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Matt..

We are still getting rain... didn't you get wet?

Temperature is also still falling at 6.7C now. 9.3 mms of steady rain now this morning.

MIA

Only a bit wet. Managed to time my walk with a drier slot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
On 23/01/2018 at 18:57, WalsallWeather123 said:

I probably came across too harsh but people like MattStoke clearly don't think when all they want is snow. The past couple of days have been much better weather wise due to general safety. Safety is far more important than getting excited over snow

Tbh mate I love snow and all the chaos it brings, you can’t beat waking up in winter to howling wind and heavy snow blowing around all over the place, schools shut and roads pretty much at a standstill, we get plenty of time for crap mild wet weather thanks 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

I also notice more people walking in snow and enjoying the outdoors rather than being in front of the telly so it does have benefits!

• Like 1

Posted

Didn't go walking today. It's hard to motivate myself to go on long walks when we have this mild rubbish. Although I did go for a walk yesterday, and got soaked.

The number of comments on here the past few days shows how boring it is.

Look forward to another soaking on my way to work tomorrow morning. Then sitting at my desk dripping wet.

Edited by MattStoke