Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

There’s a few patches that have settled on paths and bits on the grass but the air is just a little to warm I think. Maybe if I went up the lickies it will be settled everywhere 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, shaky said:

Thats a big upgrade compared to what it was showing same time yesterday!!

Looks like east mids northwards to me but you never no

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Looks like the BBC called today spot on so far judging by the precipitation type radar. 

Posted
Just now, markw2680 said:

Looks like east mids northwards to me but you never no

Arpege and icon still look fantastic for tomorrow!!further south and west than the gfs!!the fact that gfs wasnt showing any snow at all across us same time yesterday will hopefully mean the hi resolution models have a better handling of this!!

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, shaky said:

Arpege and icon still look fantastic for tomorrow!!further south and west than the gfs!!the fact that gfs wasnt showing any snow at all across us same time yesterday will hopefully mean the hi resolution models have a better handling of this!!

It certainly wouldn’t surprise me to see it all slightly further south west tbh, just a shame it’s going to turn milder after though. Meanwhile the flakes are getting bigger outside so ma start to settle better now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Temps for tomorrow here (Wythall, South Brum) have been upgraded slightly for tomorrow morning, prediction though is still just for a brief bit of wet snow, then sleet then rain. Temps stay colder for longer though (Met Office site).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Looking ahead into tonight, the band of rain approaching from the west will likely bring a transient spell of sleet and snow for much of the Midlands. A slushy cm or so can be expected quite widely by mid-morning, with 2-3cm possible above 300m. Reverting to rain by lunchtime.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Light snow is turning moderate now here. Temp still hovering around 0.8c

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Interesting to watch it develop today.

A 'hole' has opened here as well.

I can see the sun through veiled cloud. which are moving quite rapidly from the ESE. (against the movement of the higher clouds)

All the while any precipitation is turning more and more to snow. (even though lighter now).

It must mean that a low is forming to our south west and dragging in the colder air to the east.

May not mean much for today.

But could help for tomorrow.

MIA

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
23 minutes ago, shaky said:

Yep Shaky..

Aperge  was the first to latch on to something wintry for the Midlands just over  2 days ago now, when all the others were forecasting the west would blast through, In my mind a big plus  for the high res models.

It also means that they have seen the general pattern better.(IMO)

MIA

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)

Met office yellow warning for tomorrow for central midlands. Also noticed heavy snow forecast 12 onwards today. Can't see it being anything other than transient bursts. 4c currently, trended up last hour:) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Turned to sleet now, temp at 1.8c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

The latest Netweather radar shows a heavy area of precipitation out West which, as longs as it doesn’t lose too much intensity, may give a heavier spell of rain, sleet and snow for places! 

Seems to be moving in mostly a West to East direction.

42015159-0FDA-49E5-B863-3D70FF16F9C0.thumb.png.2a28cf8b41992ff2804395bf4c95e95c.png

Edited by DiagonalRedLine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot dry summers and very mild winters

Snowing here. I went shopping just as it started earlier. Drove down to town (100m asl) and it was raining but turned to sleet when I finished my shopping. Drove back home (200m asl) and the lanes were starting to turn white.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Here in Telford, it's been snowing for a good half-hour now, just starting to settle slushily on wet cars, bins, rooves and grass - we had sleet for ages before the snow, and rain before that, so the ground is very very wet. 

It is falling pretty well completely vertically, though - it seems to have no wind movement at all out there. It looks like "film snow" you know the way it comes down prettily in Christmas movies, straight down in fluffy flakes? Like that. 

But I think it's sooo wet out there, and the snow is struggling to settle on actual ground... 

It's VERY lovely to sit here with a cosy hot water bottle and enjoy watching it as I knit! 

• Like 2