Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Your Deepest Snow Record

Deep Snow please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
19 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Proof March can deliver a hefty fall of snow as well - I missed that event, in the NE a couple of inches is all we managed. I've commented on how were just outside seeing the epic falls of March 13 - it was really odd, some sort of rain shadow effect here, yet just 10 miles west there was 2 feet! We probably had close to 22 inches by by 8 Feb 96 after a few more inches.

Yes strange how most look at January and February for epic falls of snow but indeed March has produced falls to match any winter month especially 2013,1979 and the truly epic 1947.Even more amazing event that I was able to witness was not in March but the last week of April in 1981 where the blizzard left drifts to rival all but the very heaviest falls,it had no right to happen at that time of year and is listed as the craziest weather event in my lifetime.

Posted

Indeed April 1981 what an oddity of extremeness, it came on the back of a relatively quiet average/mild April as well - must have been a very cold arctic that year to help produce the cold uppers. The synoptics saw a very slow moving low pressure wrap itself over the UK entrenched within cold air. Snow in April though isn't that rare, it can often be snowier than November, and sometimes December!

In the north at least March on average is  just as snowy as December, and many a time has been more so sometimes the snowiest month of the year.

Posted

so many memories, deepest level snow somewhere between 60 to 70cms, drifts well thats another story.

once on a double decker bus from baslow to chesterfield and drifts were above the roof of bus !!

i have an old polaroid from 80s of my dad stood on a tanker lorry with his arm in the air holding a yard brush and the drifts were over 10 feet above it.

so whats that 30 to 40 feet, on the Snake Pass, snow blowers had spent all day cutting a tunnel through, but 12 hours later winds had nearly filled it in again.

vid is March 2013 so plenty of time for snow action 

hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEZCPYBEIoBSFXyq4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

February 18th/19th1978. A general depth of 15 -18 inches but with drifts to 20 feet locally after 30 hour blizzard. I saw telegraph poles completely buried in the snowdrifts. Purbeck hills near Swanage in Dorset about 400ft above sea level

Other reports locally told of 30 feet drifts.

my avatar is the synoptic pattern for 19th Feb 1978.

Edited by Broadmayne blizzard

Posted

This is from that spell in February 1978
I have other photos of it halfway up downstairs windows at home but they are very poor quality and faded.
They had been making a way through with this over-sized snowplough on a ww2 American 6 wheel drive truck known as Big Mac before Big Macs were something else.
Previously snow blowers were used, you can make out a considerable additional pile of snow from that away from the road. (RH side)

https://amz.nwstatic.co.uk/gallery/album_735/gallery_6987_735_105981.jpg

gallery_6987_735_105981.jpg

Edited by 4wd
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Before my time but shows a glimpse of what it was like,i also know the guy that lives at the farm shown near the end,he was blown away when I showed him this footage and said that he remembered the previous occupant .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

February 2nd 2009 with depths of 10 inches.  January 6th 2010 was not far behind and the snow cover lasted longer.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
On 24/01/2018 at 21:22, hillbilly said:

That may be true but if you look at met office data from Cambridge not too far from you December 2010 beat 1981 by a hairs breath 0.05 and 0.15 deg respectively.As for March ,2013 averaged 3.15 deg compared to 1987 at 3,85 so only just over half a degree colder there. Here in the pennines December 1981 was colder than 2010 and had far more snow that drifted,lovely.

True, December 2010 was much more comparable to 1981 around here than it was elsewhere (still colder though!). March 1987 was no competition though for March 2013, 0.7C is a pretty large difference.

Posted
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl

Black Country Area - Talk from family members that winter of'81 (the year I was born) was particularly heavy snowfall with widely in excess of 12-18 inches plus and very cold temps, this was the year where close by Newport recorded the lowest ever temp for England @ -26c.

Other memorable snow events for me - Mar'87 - although under 6, I can remember some real deep snow and off school for a whole week!  In fact I can remember the 80's being very snowy here.

Dec'90 - around 35cms and drifting (I remember the forecast being totally wrong and the local forecasters suggesting rain and not snow!).

Feb'91 similar setup to what we have this week.  15-20cms and -5c daytime temps.

Mar'95 saw a brief heavy snowfall......I remember this as lots of stranded cars and 7-8 inches of snow in 2 hours.  I think it rained at lower levels but was a snow event in Sedgley.

Feb'96 - another snow fest of 8 inches - this was the event which saw the northwest having very heavy falls in excess of 40cms?

Then for the next 10 or so years not much, odd snow event but nothing more than 2-3 inches at a time.

Dec 10 - 8inches plus and lasted throughout the Christmas period

Mar'13 - one of the best snowfalls with around 12 inches of snow as its snowed on a number of days with sub zero daytime temps, better than the recent Midlands snow event of Dec'17 in this area but not as widespread.

Hopefully another Midlands snow event at the end of this week :)

Deepest snow abroad, skiing in the Alps!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
On 1/22/2018 at 19:39, Thundery wintry showers said:

The most I've seen at my location since I started observing was 12cm on various dates (1 January 2010 in South Tyneside, 9 January 2010 in Norwich, 25 January 2013 in the Vale of York).  I almost certainly saw deeper snow than that in February 1991 in South Shields, and I vaguely recall the snow being deeper than my hand, but I was only 6 at the time.

Thus I've managed to dodge any particularly deep snow (I was away when Tyneside got hit with 20-25cm in early January 2010 and 25-30cm in early December 2010) but to make up for it, I have witnessed thundersnow three times.

This recent spell beat my old record- my current record stands at 17cm, measured in Exeter at 9pm on 1 March 2018.  Drifts were also well over a foot deep in places.

It's somewhat ironic that I spent most of my life in relatively snowy locations (Tyne & Wear, Vale of York, Norwich area) and yet my largest depth was set at normally snowless Exeter!  However south Devon is known for having large dumpings of snow on rare occasions with late February 1978 the most famous.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
On 21 January 2018 at 10:06, MP-R said:

Without checking my records, can't be 100% sure, but I think mine would be:

Jan 13th 2010 - 20cm

Jan 18th 2013 - 18cm

Jan 06th 2010 - 16cm

Can now add Mar 01st 2018 - 17cm

Posted
On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 17:41, Stargazer said:

23cm, January 2010, here in Reading at 39m ASL.

33cm in Tilehurst on 6th Jan 2010

25cm on 21st Dec 2009

Posted
On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 19:46, Thundery wintry showers said:

This recent spell beat my old record- my current record stands at 17cm, measured in Exeter at 9pm on 1 March 2018.  Drifts were also well over a foot deep in places.

It's somewhat ironic that I spent most of my life in relatively snowy locations (Tyne & Wear, Vale of York, Norwich area) and yet my largest depth was set at normally snowless Exeter!  However south Devon is known for having large dumpings of snow on rare occasions with late February 1978 the most famous.

If the snow we've had here in recent years is anything to go by (just two falls of 1cm since January 2013), you picked a very unfortunate time to be in the Vale of York and Norwich area.

December 2010 is the deepest snowfall here in my lifetime at 27cm. Previous highest before that was 12cm in January 2004.

It appears we've only had two lots of lying snow above 10cm in at least 21 years. I didn't quite realise it had become so bad! I suppose I could include the 4 inches of hail we had in August 2000, but that'd be cheating! :D

Edited by reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
On 03/03/2018 at 19:46, Thundery wintry showers said:

I bet being a snow lover in Devon is hard but as you say when they get a channel low it must be an immense feeling of satisfaction when it finally happens.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
On 3/6/2018 at 16:32, reef said:

If the snow we've had here in recent years is anything to go by (just two falls of 1cm since January 2013), you picked a very unfortunate time to be in the Vale of York and Norwich area.

December 2010 is the deepest snowfall here in my lifetime at 27cm. Previous highest before that was 12cm in January 2004.

It appears we've only had two lots of lying snow above 10cm in at least 21 years. I didn't quite realise it had become so bad! I suppose I could include the 4 inches of hail we had in August 2000, but that'd be cheating! :D

Aye, I did get a lot of bad luck with the timings, as my parents had 27cm up in Cleadon on 3 December 2010 and 22cm on 9 January 2010, and at Leeming the late Nov/early Dec spell produced about 20cm.  Meanwhile I was in Norwich and had a maximum depth of 12cm in Jan 2010 and 7cm in late Nov/early Dec 2010.  

Then I was in the Vale of York near Thirsk in January 2013, also measuring a maximum depth of 12cm in that spell, while Norwich had rather bigger falls on that occasion. 

I've had my second south Devon snowstorm in a month today, although snow depths aren't quite as high as last time around, mainly due to solar radiation and high ground temps meaning that less of the snow settled.

• 6 months later...
Posted

1. January 12 and 13 - 1987 & Jan 01 1997

2. March 01 and 02 - 2018 & March 11  2013

3. November 27 and 30 - 2010

4. April 08 - 2008

5. December 31 - 1996 & Dec 01 2010

6. February 09 and 10 - 1991 & Feb 09 2009

I never measured snowfall by using instruments etc so above is just based on my memory and personal experiences of each spell.

Amazingly 3 of my 4 best snowfall events (Nov, March & April) in South East Ireland happened in months outside of Winter proper (Dec, Jan & Feb).

Even more amazingly, is that three of these occurred in the last 10 years (post large teapot/ chocolate teapot era) after a circa 20 year period of mainly mild and snowless winters (with the odd exception) when some 'expert's' believed that cold winters and heavy snow events were becoming a thing of the past, and that our kids would grow up not knowing what snow looked like.  

The last 10 years have brought us some record cold and snowy spells such as in 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2018 plus abviously some mild and stormy ones which were often severe in their own right. Throw in some exceptionally hot and sunny summers and one feels we are getting more extreme weather types these past 10 years. But maybe it is just a phase the weather is goung through- just like the large teapot theory / era some years back......

Bottled Snow

Edited by Bottled Snow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Actually, it was 28 cm in December 2017! Elevation 90 metres asl. For once Bewdley was in direct line of fire of an hours-long snow streamer. Many places just 20 miles away got far less. Second would be 20 cm in February 1991. This really is not a snowy location. I'm pretty sure the deepest I've ever had at home would have been 30-40 cm in January 1982, but I was too young to care about such things then, and living in another part of Worcs anyway.

Edited by Arctic Hare

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
On 24/01/2018 at 21:05, damianslaw said:

Proof March can deliver a hefty fall of snow as well - I missed that event, in the NE a couple of inches is all we managed. I've commented on how were just outside seeing the epic falls of March 13 - it was really odd, some sort of rain shadow effect here, yet just 10 miles west there was 2 feet! We probably had close to 22 inches by by 8 Feb 96 after a few more inches.

Re March 2013 I think the worst (best?!) of the snow tracked to the west of Windermere, even Hawkshead, 4 miles east by road didn't get as much as we did and further west, it affected the west coast. There was a documentary about some of it with some lads getting stuck on the A595.

All three of our Land Rovers were deployed with chains on to retrieve people from their cars over there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers

Did not measure it (wouldn't have been able to anyway due to drifts) but here's the deepest snow I've received (my front garden on 2 March 2018) whilst the second one is of a neighbour's garden.

42705697_162455624661125_2802177263959801856_n.thumb.jpg.c649e0aed62b08ca051154b3fd80c187.jpg

42544775_934319310092266_3518996005603246080_n.thumb.jpg.320a669f228444e5c3dfffe87d48a081.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Durham Weather
On 24/01/2018 at 21:29, hillbilly said:

Yes strange how most look at January and February for epic falls of snow but indeed March has produced falls to match any winter month especially 2013,1979 and the truly epic 1947.Even more amazing event that I was able to witness was not in March but the last week of April in 1981 where the blizzard left drifts to rival all but the very heaviest falls,it had no right to happen at that time of year and is listed as the craziest weather event in my lifetime.

Three times in three months I recorded more than 18” of snow. The end of December 1978 was brutal in County Durham, with howling NE winds and snow completely burying cars and buses. Then around Valentine’s Day, Feb 1979 with 50 mph Easterly winds and air temps way below zero. Then, best of the lot, March 16th-18th 1979 marooned many communities and paralysed transport. Once again, buried buses and JCBs digging us out. Awesome.

Posted

Deepest October snow 3 inches 2008 smashed the previous record back in 2000 of a covering and floods and storms yuck.

Edited by Snowyowl9