Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Your Deepest Snow Record

Deep Snow please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

47cm March 22nd 2013

Pretty damning indictment of recent winters that my deepest snow record came about after the Spring Equinox.

Edited by Carl46Wrexham

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

About 2 feet lying, higher drifts, here, March 2013.

• Like 1

Posted

In 30 years in the Shrewsbury area (5 different addresses, all within 6 miles of town centre, and all between 70-110m) the most I have recorded is:

28cm on 11 and 12 December 2017. Thats at 95m asl 5 miles N of town. From what statistics I can find it seems this was the deepest snow in this area since 1981-82.

Previously it was 15cm (twice; 21/12/1995 and 22/12/2010). So Dec 2017 really blew anything else away that I've seen here. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

The deepest snow I have personally recorded was 28cm on 1 December 2010. 25 January 2013 had a similar amount. 23 March 2013 had around 20cm (but the snow drifted significantly during that event so getting an accurate measurement was difficult - some surfaces had much more, others had much less).

Leeds seemed to have 40cm in January 1995 but I was only 7 at the time and wasn't in the habit of measuring snow depth, so couldn't say how much specifically fell where I was living at the time. It was a lot though, and caused more disruption than I can remember any other snow event causing. People were stranded and had to seek refuge at the West Yorkshire Playhouse. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Without checking my records, can't be 100% sure, but I think mine would be:

Jan 13th 2010 - 20cm

Jan 18th 2013 - 18cm

Jan 06th 2010 - 16cm

Posted

The deepest I`ve actually measured since 1990 is standard average 1 foot also recorded that this winter back in December.

13 inches January 2010 was the deepest though,before that.......

January 1982 was nearer 20 inches deep.

Deepest drifts 14 foot.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

It is not something I have actually measured and also up until a few years ago I lived high up on the hills where on most occasions it drifted.From what I have witnessed the largest dumpings of snow ,mostly similar being jan 2010,december 1995,february 1978 and the end of April 1981.The snow in December/January 1981/82 and 1984 seemed more but the snow at the end of 1978 and into 1979 was in another league.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Has to be Dec 2010 - 8 inches.That's the only time i can remember more than 6 inches in the last 15 years or so here although the previous year nearly went over 6 inch.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The most I've seen at my location since I started observing was 12cm on various dates (1 January 2010 in South Tyneside, 9 January 2010 in Norwich, 25 January 2013 in the Vale of York).  I almost certainly saw deeper snow than that in February 1991 in South Shields, and I vaguely recall the snow being deeper than my hand, but I was only 6 at the time.

Thus I've managed to dodge any particularly deep snow (I was away when Tyneside got hit with 20-25cm in early January 2010 and 25-30cm in early December 2010) but to make up for it, I have witnessed thundersnow three times.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

100cm+ level snow by the end of March 2011...snowiest winter in Alberta for over 40 years...in the UK Feb 1978 would be close..however drifts where huge 20 feet plus...so UK February 1978 would beat Alberta winter 2010-11 in terms of scale..once in a lifetime event me thinks 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
48 minutes ago, 4wd said:

About 30" (without drifting) in December 1981 and 2010

That's more like it 4WD,

I think my best memory was when the snow reached over the level of the Post Office window  in 1947, My guess is 1 meter.          Drifts I remember were 8 - 10feet, ie over the back door. This was on Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire border at about 20 feet asl.

This occured after the second blizzard swept through in 3 days.

Obviously I could only guess the heights by memories but have been confirmed by elder sibblings, parents,etc.

Other than that we had 40cms (18 inches in 1993? ),here in Solihull and we actually managed 23cms on Dec 10th 2017.

Several times I remember 10 - 20cms in the pre 1985 period.

Abroad - about 2.5 meters on a skiing holiday at La Planne.

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted

The record I believe is 1.35 metres or 4 ft 5 in at Teesdale in 1947

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Since living in this house 2 foot level snow in the mid 80s with no drifts but in terms of drifting snow about 20 foot in the late 70s with a lot of hard work clearing the road here, up in the nearby pennines there must have been at least 30 foot drifts, since 1988 winters are certainly not what they used to be in terms of heavy snow! 

Posted

Actually measured - 18 inches 6 Feb 1996 largest total here at 120 metres. Since then I was in Newcastle alot of the winters between 1996 - 2007, and don't recall more than a few inches lying there at anyone time. Since 2008 we had about 8 inches on the ground 21 Dec 2009, and again on 26 Jan 2013 from a single fall - the last significant single snowfall, we just missed out on the heavy snows of late March 2013.

I'm sure we had more snow accumulation in Jan 1984 than 18 inches - I've seen pictures. 

However, I haven't had to go too far higher to see level snow up to the knee on many an occasion - as recently as Saturday, where it drifted and only at 400 metres.

Would like to see a snowfall giving a foot of snow at least before too long, 22 years is a long time waiting!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 21:15, hillbilly said:

The record I believe is 1.35 metres or 4 ft 5 in at Teesdale in 1947

HB...

Yep it was sure a snorter that year.

To think it hadn't even started at this point.

Looking back I was in a sweet spot. 

The lows tracked  in over Southern England and the Channel and then drifted away east again.

The snow was at its heaviest 50 - 100 miles north, and the wind was peaking at severe gale force.

Apparently the average temps for the blizzard week was -3c.

Following on I also remember we were hit by several streamers setting up off the North Sea.

I guess that The Tees area must have had them full on for hours/days on end.

MIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry

~ 90M ASL 

all level snow measurements, not drifts

24"  - Feb 1996

24"  - 22/23.03.13 (although on a rescue in the fells on 24th we were wading through and falling into drifts of 5' Plus - thank God for helicopters!) http://conistonmountainrescue.org.uk/index.php/incidents1/incidents/120-levers-hawse

18"  - March 2006

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

About 30-ish metres above sea level in Chelmsford. Saw 10" of level snow on the 3rd or 4th December 2010 (which had built up after a few days). In one go then it would have to be into the 4th (or perhaps it was the 5th?) February 2012 where there must have been between 6-8" (not an official measurement but based on a photograph that was recently unearthed).

Gutted I didn't grow up in the '80s!

That said, while snowfalls seemed to be deeper back then I have been lucky enough to experience both a December and a March that were colder than any of their '80s counterparts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
17 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

About 30-ish metres above sea level in Chelmsford. Saw 10" of level snow on the 3rd or 4th December 2010 (which had built up after a few days). In one go then it would have to be into the 4th (or perhaps it was the 5th?) February 2012 where there must have been between 6-8" (not an official measurement but based on a photograph that was recently unearthed).

That said, while snowfalls seemed to be deeper back then I have been lucky enough to experience both a December and a March that were colder than any of their '80s counterparts.

i lived in Chelmsford in the Mid 80s through to '92..some big snowfalls particularly Jan 87 and Feb 91..Feb 86 was pretty snowy too

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, JeffC said:

~ 90M ASL 

all level snow measurements, not drifts

24"  - Feb 1996

24"  - 22/23.03.13 (although on a rescue in the fells on 24th we were wading through and falling into drifts of 5' Plus - thank God for helicopters!) http://conistonmountainrescue.org.uk/index.php/incidents1/incidents/120-levers-hawse

18"  - March 2006

Proof March can deliver a hefty fall of snow as well - I missed that event, in the NE a couple of inches is all we managed. I've commented on how were just outside seeing the epic falls of March 13 - it was really odd, some sort of rain shadow effect here, yet just 10 miles west there was 2 feet! We probably had close to 22 inches by by 8 Feb 96 after a few more inches.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Relativistic said:

That may be true but if you look at met office data from Cambridge not too far from you December 2010 beat 1981 by a hairs breath 0.05 and 0.15 deg respectively.As for March ,2013 averaged 3.15 deg compared to 1987 at 3,85 so only just over half a degree colder there. Here in the pennines December 1981 was colder than 2010 and had far more snow that drifted,lovely.