Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - mid January

Paul
Message added by Paul

Before posting in to the model discussion, please read our guide to posting in the model threads.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

UKMO extended sees the high sinking a bit further south allowing a low to cross north of Scotland

ukm2.2018020712_168_lant.troplant_prp_fcst.gentracker.thumb.png.8786fb42c42639100bc7a63f1a82a02b.png

Trough disruption!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

UKMO extended sees the high sinking a bit further south allowing a low to cross north of Scotland

ukm2.2018020712_168_lant.troplant_prp_fcst.gentracker.thumb.png.8786fb42c42639100bc7a63f1a82a02b.png

Got to say that looks more droppy than crossy SS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
16 minutes ago, BleakMidwinter said:

Thankyou - for those of us still trying to learn the basics, it actually really helps having some guidance as to what to look at in the charts. So often I scroll through dozens of posts showing these charts because I'm jsut not good enough to read them properly and don't know what to look at! 

I was there about 12 years ago, not that I would class myself as knowledgeable but when you can see why charts are"good/bad" it makes it more enjoyable and come to your own conclusions instead of hanging on every comment. Us coldies get a bit excited at times so always use the met as sense check. Its looking good for cold starting soon and lasting More than a day or so. Snow? It will be picked up in the t24/48 range at the most. Exciting times unless your not a coldie, then we'll never speak to you again:D

Edited by That ECM
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE

Oh no !you know what's going to happen next lets talk about the breakdown before it even starts:rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (Continental)
4 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Cant believe no one has mentioned 1947

Is that when the ensembles are out? Still a little under 10 mins to wait ...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

The ECM 12Z is just one of them runs where you can see it toying with scenarios which are boarderline perfect to get the real cold from the east, moving westwards. Really is one of them runs that screams a lot of potential. Fingers crossed:cold::cold::cold:

Posted

Nice +120 850’s mean 

BBD91AD4-B31B-4F96-866D-8AE8BD98A59B.thumb.gif.b6485b0a0646872cdd3ca0353756f985.gif

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

-10 from the east and north west at the same time is srandard stuff?

Errrm yeah, I suppose? East is normally cold at this time of the year and a NW straight from Greenland won't be warm. 

Am I missing something? I'll be honest though, I tend to not just look at 850hPa temperatures...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
12 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Christ!...that UKMO extended is a complete nightmare, Is it stuck? Azores high pressure staring us in the face every time...

Posted
7 minutes ago, Optimus Prime said:

Errrm yeah, I suppose? East is normally cold at this time of the year and a NW straight from Greenland won't be warm. 

Am I missing something? I'll be honest though, I tend to not just look at 850hPa temperatures...

I think you might be to be honest. 850’s of -10c on south coast is not standard winter, you can dress it up how you like, easterly winds aren’t standard in a UK winter. Standard winter for the UK is PM air occasionally AM air, but generally a mobile west to east pattern is typical for winter in the UK.

now, -10 uppers from an easterly, yes that’s what one would expect from an easterly. 

I think if we can get past this little issue you’ll enjoy this upcoming pattern change a lot more. 

If we saw -10 uppers on a regular basis we probably wouldn’t be as completely crazy as we are now! It’s rare!

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
55 minutes ago, Optimus Prime said:

Kinda struggle to understand what you are saying. 

So from what I do understand, no, I'm not on a wind up. This is supposedly a science thread, is it not? Seems to be run by the usual Hollywood blockbuster wannabe actors that look for popularity to inflate their ego. There's nothing sensible being posted.

I've seen people here talk down about the weatheroutlook forum. Whilst I agree it's not for everyone, they tend to be a lot more level headed and sensible than in here.

Post some rationale to support your comments ? GFS looks good to me way out into la la land. No its not 1947 or 1963 

Netweather GFS ImageNetweather GFS ImageNetweather GFS Image

and on my birthday

Netweather GFS Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

For london:cold:

graphe_ens3.php?mode=0&x=309&y=141&run=0

• Like 9

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
6 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Christ!...that UKMO extended is a complete nightmare, Is it stuck? Azores high pressure staring us in the face every time...

Pretty much what the latest Weather Ahead said on the BBC, Didn't think the Russian high was going to win out and it's back to the NW air stream :(

Haven't seen any snow on the ground since 2010!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

Can someone help me here please? With -12 uppers showing on ecm what sort of day time maxes will that be equivalent to? Also noticed a lot of slack pressure from 144 hours, but mention of snow? Would that mean we would get precipitation due to a slack area of cold pressure?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves
4 minutes ago, Neilsouth said:

Pretty much what the latest Weather Ahead said on the BBC, Didn't think the Russian high was going to win out and it's back to the NW air stream :(

Haven't seen any snow on the ground since 2010!

BBC long range has not been updated yet ...

Edited by abbie123

Posted
3 minutes ago, stewfox said:

Post some rationale to support your comments ? GFS looks good to me way out into la la land. No its not 1947 or 1963 

Netweather GFS ImageNetweather GFS Image

and on my birthday

You see though, that's the problem. Posting charts that are 7 & 10 days out is not rationale. And then go on and post a precip chart 10 days out!

Again they are just 850 hPa. -10 850 hPa from the NW will inheritably be different to one from the east. The surface cold from an easterly would not be there in a NW'ly. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

For london:cold:

graphe_ens3.php?mode=0&x=309&y=141&run=0

Ecm op a marked cold outlier for London. We may need to temper expectations with regards to what exactly comes our way from the east early next week. 

Posted
12 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

I think you might be to be honest. 850’s of -10c on south coast is not standard winter, you can dress it up how you like, easterly winds aren’t standard in a UK winter. Standard winter for the UK is PM air occasionally AM air, but generally a mobile west to east pattern is typical for winter in the UK.

now, -10 uppers from an easterly, yes that’s what one would expect from an easterly. 

I think if we can get past this little issue you’ll enjoy this upcoming pattern change a lot more. 

If we saw -10 uppers on a regular basis we probably wouldn’t be as completely crazy as we are now! It’s rare!

Not to mention the -12 uppers the ECM brings in. Now that is quite something, especially compared with recent winters!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
1 hour ago, Man With Beard said:

Oh the irony!

On the ECM, the T144 period has a front that reaches the centre of the UK and then fizzles out!! Snow to the west, nothing to the east (esp. SE)

Reminds me of some of the snow events from the early 90's, on one occasion I remember well it snowed as far east as Heathrow, parts of the west were snowed in.:)

• Like 1