Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - mid January

Paul
Message added by Paul

Before posting in to the model discussion, please read our guide to posting in the model threads.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
7 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

Serious answer- yes gfs has a westerly modeled catch- however the jet and stat have differential meets..and cold is already embeded..

Its a real unusual format tbf..

But could cause chaos in predict..and snowfall on the ground..in a nutshell.

Thers a challenge at 10 hpa with a split looking immenent..and the factors of nw-vs-east-ne..

Are eye watering..but great 4 ourselves!!

All sorts of chaos suddenly flagging..

To which we could do v-well..

gfs-14-174.png

gfs-5-174.png

gfs-1-174.png

You have my full attention for a lengthy cold spell after the firming up over the last 48 hrs.MET update is simply lovely too.

• Like 7

Posted

Its subtle, but the GFS 12z is quite a bit different to the 06z. On this run the cold air doesn't make it as far east, so when the front arrives on Monday night it is mainly rain away from high ground:

GFSOPUK12_135_2.png

The rest of the run is then pretty much what we've had all winter: polar maritime incursions followed by a day or so of less cold weather before the next wave comes in. They are particularly potent though, so northern and western areas would do extremely well. For those in the east and south-east it would be much like winter so far: that is, dry and sunny with the slim chance of showers making it through for a dusting or hoping for unforecast features such as troughs closer to the time.

The UKMO is slightly better, but away from the far south-east the upper flow isn't favourable for any showers. Its pretty much a kent-clipper.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, reef said:

Its subtle, but the GFS 12z is quite a bit different to the 06z. On this run the cold air doesn't make it as far east, so when the front arrives on Monday night it is mainly rain away from high ground:

GFSOPUK12_135_2.png

The rest of the run is then pretty much what we've had all winter: polar maritime incursions followed by a day or so of less cold weather before the next wave comes in. They are particularly potent though, so northern and western areas would do extremely well. For those in the east and south-east it would be much like winter so far: that is, dry and sunny with the slim chance of showers making it through for a dusting or hoping for unforecast features such as troughs closer to the time.

The UKMO is slightly better, but away from the far south-east the upper flow isn't favourable for any showers. Its pretty much a kent-clipper.

What do you mean the rest of the run, its not half way through ( 12z) or are you talking about the 6z

Posted
1 minute ago, Banbury said:

What do you mean the rest of the run, its not half way through ( 12z) or are you talking about the 6z

Sorry, up to the lower-res section (pre-T+240hrs).

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Optimus Prime said:

Sorry but I'm not taking your word for it.

- It is pretty bog standard to February.

-good debate mind

Not much debate to be had when one poster starts whining that he cant see what all the fuss is about. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

SSTs have changed a fair bit in 6 days not necessarily for the better the milder drawn winds have wiped out cold blob to SW all of North Sea now above average, on plus side convection enhanced..

24/01 6C562560-3FCA-4EC8-A8D2-8AD42BC342CC.thumb.png.648eb9cd3fce2e6caed5e4e1be3b1c5b.png 30/01 D16979D5-632C-4E0A-8071-C0FA65ADFFBC.thumb.jpeg.250cfc91dbfdcb292bffc3eafa98d7ac.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
5 minutes ago, Optimus Prime said:

-good debate mind

You sound like my missus.

???

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, weirpig said:

There will be no snow before then. Remember we need uppers of around the point that mercury freezes for any wintryness . 

At T162 on the GFS the uppers are -10 which is cold enough. But then at 192 they're at 0 across a large part of the UK. Just stating the facts. A prolonged cold spell looks unlikely. Interchangeable conditions between cold and mild looks likely

Edited by WalsallWeather123
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny Summers/Cold Wintry Winters
3 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

GFSOPEU12_300_1.png

Main course...?

Just for fun of course as it is out in FI but here is the uppers chart to go with it. I will coin the famous phrase and say what could go wrong :rofl:

GFSOPEU12_312_2.png

Edited by Summerstorm

Posted
8 minutes ago, Optimus Prime said:

-good debate mind

Agree with this post  100 percent  mind you there is only 7 hours left 

Posted
7 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

Not much debate to be had when one poster starts whining that he cant see what all the fuss is about. 

It's hardly "whining". And to be honest I agree with @Optimus Prime - on face value I can't see anything noteworthy in low res, but I will bow to those with better knowledge!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Plenty of room for downgrades, methinks!:shok:

Netweather GFS Image

GFS, you are having a laugh!

Netweather GFS Image

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
7 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

GFSOPEU12_300_1.png

Main course...?

I’m already wondering what’s for desert :spiteful:

C4C367BB-096A-433A-8E5D-8B2E43590C0D.thumb.png.057de2bb2b2315400dc095c2f5019d09.png

• Like 8

Posted
17 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Now this I will only believe when I see it!:rofl:

Netweather GFS Image

GFS in FI is stunning I’d take that over what we may have next week extreme cold there. Interestingly this is where the ‘experts’ have talked about a real stab at something big towards mid month and beyond.

79AA64CF-D4FF-4E5A-A6C1-9DCE055FFE3B.thumb.jpeg.fee0f030db0cbf50808f0738170a151d.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

That is some end to the GFS run, chunk of PV marching West toward the UK.

gfsnh-0-348.png?12gfsnh-1-348.png?12

MetO are behind some form of Easterly flow mid month but not sure this is what they had in mind.

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, WalsallWeather123 said:

At T162 on the GFS the uppers are -10 which is cold enough. But then at 192 they're at 0 across a large part of the UK. Just stating the facts. A prolonged cold spell looks unlikely. Interchangeable conditions between cold and mild looks likely

192??  I will leave this conversation here.  The models will be  different in 20 hrs  as you said they will flip so why are you commenting on snow melt  at uppers of 0  At 192 ? Also with snow cover,  uppers of zero  may not produce melt  in fact with surface cold and snow cover it would be cold  anyway that's me done 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny Summers/Cold Wintry Winters
11 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

I’m already wondering what’s for desert :spiteful:

C4C367BB-096A-433A-8E5D-8B2E43590C0D.thumb.png.057de2bb2b2315400dc095c2f5019d09.png

Yep still looking tasty or should i say toasty.. on the 12z run Karl :D But let's not get carried away yet eh :rofl:

gfsnh-10-384_nbq2.png

Edited by Summerstorm
  • Like 1