Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - mid January

Paul
Message added by Paul

Before posting in to the model discussion, please read our guide to posting in the model threads.

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

It wasn't so long ago that the GEFS had over 50% showing Easterlies with a good number of them brutal with another 25% looking like they would go on to do likewise, as soon as they entered the MORE reliable timeframe they collapsed, I know what will get trotted out even when we are within 96 hours with all 70 odd members over 2 suites not showing an Easterly - 'they will flip back again', ' no one knows for certain', 'FI is 72' etc etc but that isn't my problem, my problem is that even when it is proven, there will still be animosity towards those who saw what was coming first, and they will be chastised, marginalised and ridiculed the next time, and it will completely go over peoples heads what actually happened.

I agree with you on this one, time and time again we see once the trend goes against an easterly it's a complete runaway train, people always use the same phrases yet I'm not sure the last time I saw the models flip from a phantom easterly and THEN flip back again.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, Weathizard said:

I agree with you on this one, time and time again we see once the trend goes against an easterly it's a complete runaway train, people always use the same phrases yet I'm not sure the last time I saw the models flip from a phantom easterly and THEN flip back again.

Yes, just to be clear, I questioned John Holmes's post (a respected pro) the other day because he said he didn't see any signal, so risking doing that proves I am not ramping one way or the other, at the time there were a lot of ens members still showing an Easterly, where I differ from most though is when it comes into the 144-216 range and the half suite becomes a quarter then just a couple of stragglers, I say it straight away and that's what people don't like, once you get to that point the margin for error decreases and the need for big upgrades increases with Each suite,

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes, just to be clear, I questioned John Holmes's post (a respected pro) the other day because he said he didn't see any signal, so risking doing that proves I am not ramping one way or the other, at the time there were a lot of ens members still showing an Easterly, where I differ from most though is when it comes into the 144-216 range and the half suite becomes a quarter then just a couple of stragglers, I say it straight away and that's what people don't like, once you get to that point the margin for error decreases and the need for big upgrades increases with Each suite,

Yeah I get that but the period in question has only just come into the 144-216 range in fact it's the very back end. All I'll say is I believe when this approaches nearer 144 I'd expect the ensemble percentage to increase! I could be wrong but it's my opinion and call at the moment

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

CFS goes crazy blocky mid Feb

cfsnh-0-354.png?00

sorry @weirpig that's probably 2/3 from me in 24 hours :rofl:

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
Just now, bluearmy said:

Sorry but even allowing for the significance of a 20% cluster against climatology, I still think they are seeing mogreps-15 and glosea supporting this. This is not the ukmo solution as it’s day 10/15 timescale.

i expect it to be dropped by tomorrow’s forecast - the trend to northwest/southeast jet axis from the Canadian vortex into Eastern Europe grows apace  

I get where you're coming from Blue but if their own extended models  like Mogreps 15 are showing it  plus what they consider a consistent and significant number of ECM ensembles why would they go against their own model if thats what its showing.  Models can change of course but at the moment we don't know which one is on the money. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
51 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

CFS goes crazy blocky mid Feb

cfsnh-0-354.png?00

sorry @weirpig that's probably 2/3 from me in 24 hours :rofl:

An, obvious unlikely outcome given the mod CFS-but further highlights there are many ways for cold transfer to our part.....

Even with large lobe canadian/NW-Northern hem-limpit vortex.....

Anyway' 12z suites upcoming, and no doubt conflicting evo's once again...although i dont think theres long in it b4 we can begin to draw conclusions!?...

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, shaky said:

Hmmm changes at 48 hours on gfs!!more amplification around iceland this run!!could it be goin ukmo way!

Yes!! incredible given the time frames..

gfsnh-0-60.png?12gfsnh-0-66.png?6

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, bluearmy said:

week or two ago ?

surprised to see Exeter still talking about an easterly flow later week 2, given the extended eps and clusters.  looks like a 20% risk which is about where its been for quite a while

I am not convinced by any easterly, never have been. However, the UK Met upper air chart I copied in here earlier is perhaps part of the reason they seem to have a ridge NE of the UK. Not sure what number it was, will find it and put the number in here so folk can see what I am referring to.

page 77, 7 hours ago, 10 or 11 about from the top of that page

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 1

Posted

Lovely ukmo at 120 hours!!east north east winds into england!!continues the theme from the 00z!!could be a snow fall across england this weekend!!chances are increasimg!also arpege joins the ukmo party aswell at 84 hours!!

Edited by shaky
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Quite the turn around 

58DC9171-BE98-4473-B6C3-EA11A586EA2C.thumb.png.b04afb430398ca1879ba2d9c1bf2ba47.png6D2D1FAA-6FDF-45C7-9E5D-9F753B9CCE93.thumb.png.b1d0b8ee48cdc0fc97c4999c3b16d5f5.pngB722A603-9144-43FD-AD74-92B5EB699F05.thumb.jpeg.b647a1454020d3065a7a86f158788767.jpeg

Edited by karlos1983
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

GFS has caught up quite a bit still flatter than the UKMO but in the same ballpark

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
1 minute ago, frosty ground said:

UW120-21.GIF?30-17
UKM 120 Hour Chart.... Sicking to its guns as they say.

Yes I was just about to say just that, sticking to its guns, T144 looking better too.:)

UW144-21.gif

• Like 1

Posted

UKMO at 144 Very nice 

D84BBEA9-8602-4F4D-9E77-45DD03EFFA6D.thumb.gif.3ccdde6e9412dc6816d3429bfbfcacbb.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, snowray said:

Yes I was just about to say just that, sticking to its guns, T144 looking better too.:)

UW144-21.gif

Whilst the chart screams potential it seems a big ask to get the low towards Iceland to disrupt South East into Europe and bring in the beast.

Edited by mountain shadow
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, snowray said:

UW144-21.gif

Hmmmmm That's the point in which some Atlantic energy needs to cut south East but you can see the progression from 120 to 144 for the upper high to increase.

• Like 1

Posted

Baby steps! Tuesday 12z onwards! Let the fun and games and (upgrades) build from here on in!

The progression of of the Atlantic is slowing now with every run! May get some battle ground snow before the easterly winds hit home 8th onwards

Edited by inghams85
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

Hmmmmm That's the point in which some Atlantic energy needs to cut south East but you can see the progression from 120 to 144 for the upper high to increase.

All important UKMET+168 later to see whether any energy disrupts in the Atlantic!

• Like 1