Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - mid January

Paul
Message added by Paul

Before posting in to the model discussion, please read our guide to posting in the model threads.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

GEFS may have started sorting out its pacing issues with MJO lag time as the back end of the 0z suite has a near mean continental flow and isn't rushing in beasterlies.

gensnh-21-1-384.png

Posted
2 minutes ago, SN0WM4N said:

GEFS may have started sorting out its pacing issues with MJO lag time as the back end of the 0z suite has a near mean continental flow and isn't rushing in beasterlies.

gensnh-21-1-384.png

Looking through the members shows a bit of a mess though low heights to our south and southeast a welcome strong signal 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Pretty huge differences between GFS and ECM at just 114 (120 ECM) on our side of the pond, with the GFS showing a deep low to the north of Scotland that the ECM doesn't have.  FI from 72 at the moment!?

GFS gfsnh-0-108.png?6 ECM ECH1-120.GIF?28-12

Posted

GFS is showing easterly potential at 186 and has worked itself towards the ECM at the same time

GFS gfsnh-0-186.png?6  ECM  ECH1-192.GIF?28-12

Huge cold pool available to the north east (and east)

gfsnh-1-186.png?6

Edited by Ice Day
  • Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

& just for consistency ( or inconsistency) as the case may be

back to back GFS runs at just 156 for next sat

total polar opposites

7A9F9E06-F25E-481E-A61C-CF7A4B6C2259.thumb.png.02d749898651a130ba1d2481eb0e8e7d.png70A96709-F13E-4C50-B604-E3BC698AF9FF.thumb.png.dd3cac98b308000c3129476a9e9da07f.png

Yes big changes run to run

BTW 8% battery life Steve  is not going to last long enough for you to commentate on the 6z charts which will undoubtedly show freezing easterlies in the later stages..get the charger plug quick as we don't want to miss anything ??

Edited by Bottled Snow
  • Like 1

Posted

I big improvement on the gfs 06z. However, I sense much weariness on this forum recently. I think many are suspicious of the better runs and to be honest I can't blame them. 

• Like 7

Posted

Oh man,we seem to have been chasing this Easterly all winter .Really hope it starts showing in the more reliable timeframe soon,it’s only ever shown beyond t144 ,never a nearer timeframe.Think we are all going to give up this chase soon,gfs tries again but it soon goes away again.

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Such a struggle to get that all important Genoa low these days. 

close but no cigar on 6z...encouraging signs though and closer to more amplified ECM runs of late. Let' see what the ensembles show shortly to see if there is more support for ridging to northeast

BS 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

I big improvement on the gfs 06z. However, I sense much weariness on this forum recently. I think many are suspicious of the better runs and to be honest I can't blame them. 

Looks terrible to me. As usual people getting excited prematurely. I wouldn't look beyond the 144 range. Awful consistency among models past that range.

• Like 1

Posted

The 06z has really toned down the strat warming at the end of the run, I know at that range it is very inconsistent. The last several runs have shown the warming intensifying and then out comes a run with very little warming at all lol.

As far as the possible easterly developing in about 8 days time we really want to see future runs build on this is there is to be any chance of this coming off, otherwise we may have to wait until later in the month. imho i do think we will hit the jackpot next month fingers cross

Edited by comet

11 hours ago, snowbunting said:

To be honest, we have had so much snow up here I would happily settle for some sunny cold weather.. aka easterly.

Same with me for South Wales we've had so much rain recently the fields are waterlogged making some main roads turn into muddy rivers and there's been some flooding of properties :angry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Nice to see this from Ian. Posting because I fee it is relevant to the recent discussions and reactions to individual runs. Not that there is anything wrong with reacting to individual runs, but it hopefully brings a bit of balance, that’s all. :)

5A7561A3-A9D1-4294-BC2D-E72650970F72.thumb.png.b45ce70cd697b4343af9670687ac2bb8.png094A5460-8CBE-4E82-93BB-17F4B80EC24C.thumb.png.bf83dd1dc8dc41204fab4b3e160574b6.png

I think what Ian says makes perfect sense: what with the GFS having been toying with the idea, for a few days now, I think it's safe to suggest that things might now be heading in the right direction...Obviously nothing nailed though, and - as per usual - more runs are needed!:good:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
3 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I think what Ian says makes perfect sense: what with the GFS having been toying with the idea, for a few days now, I think it's safe to suggest that things might now be heading in the right direction...Obviously nothing nailed though, and - as per usual - more runs are needed!:good:

I have one burning question though, has GloSea seen an easterly before? Will it’s lack of “knowledge” affect its performance in this setup? has  previous data of such setups been included it’s it supercomputerness :crazy: ?

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

Very interesting point made by fergie in that tweet which i hadn't fully taken on board before namely that given the rarity of easterly set ups in the uk winter. Ecm showing 25% of  easterly/northeasterly outcomes is in fact a very strong pointer.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

6z london ens.

Certainly not without interest!

MT8_London_ens.png

• Like 6

Posted

all i say  after  72  hr  any  thing could happen!!!

gfs-2-78.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Note that Exeter clearly see a slow moving pattern by week 2 Feb. Ian is suggesting that the uncertainty surrounds whether it’s trougy or ridgy 

the eps clusters generally support a Scandi ridge though

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, bluearmy said:

Note that Exeter clearly see a slow moving pattern by week 2 Feb. Ian is suggesting that the uncertainty surrounds whether it’s trougy or ridgy 

the eps clusters generally support a Scandi ridge though

Which one would benefit us?trough or ridge?

Posted
45 minutes ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

Very interesting point made by fergie in that tweet which i hadn't fully taken on board before namely that given the rarity of easterly set ups in the uk winter. Ecm showing 25% of  easterly/northeasterly outcomes is in fact a very strong pointer.

Absolutely spot on.  25% from this range is probably at the top end of what we could hope for.  Of course it doesn't mean it will happen, but we're in the game at least.