Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - mid January

Paul
Message added by Paul

Before posting in to the model discussion, please read our guide to posting in the model threads.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

Thank goodness Day 15 charts never materialise:

h850t850eu.png

I would take that right now - as Ive posted above - that would surely give a great chance of an SSW within 1 week from then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
38 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I hope there aren't too many avalanches in the Alps:

h850t850eu.png

Imagine there could be floods in lower lying villages with a pretty rapid thaw of loads of snow

• Like 2

GFS 12z much less stormy in the south but much windier in the north. Low pressure and gales are generally tracking further north giving the south a break from the severe gales. Hints of a very strong area high pressure building in the west by the end of January and into February bringing much drier & calmer conditions for many areas :good:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Thank goodness Day 15 charts never materialise:

h850t850eu.png

That is not a bad chat actually...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Todays 6z london ens.

Await compare for gfs 12z..

Expect a notable colder set from 24 onwards!(12z)

#await #compare

MT8_London_ens (1).png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 4

Posted

After watching this winter evolve and seeing the telecon predictions, the MJO fail in late December, the charts with potential fail to verify etc etc, I’ve decided that the upstream pv locale and consequential jet won’t allow sustained amplification to occur in a position to bring deep cold as far west as the uk via a Scandi ridge. if (and it’s feasible) the vortex drifts away from north eastern Canada, I think the most likely place for amplification will be the North Atlantic. I think the search for a Scandi ridge is destined to fail. the gfs op in it’s latter stages plays with a scenario which I think could well play out whereby we have a MLB close to the uk which retrogresses to meet an amplification off the ESB. This run ultimately fails but it’s an evolution that I believe more likely to occur with a MLB than a Scandi ridge. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

After watching this winter evolve and seeing the telecon predictions, the MJO fail in late December, the charts with potential fail to verify etc etc, I’ve decided that the upstream pv locale and consequential jet won’t allow sustained amplification to occur in a position to bring deep cold as far west as the uk via a Scandi ridge. if (and it’s feasible) the vortex drifts away from north eastern Canada, I think the most likely place for amplification will be the North Atlantic. I think the search for a Scandi ridge is destined to fail. the gfs op in it’s latter stages plays with a scenario which I think could well play out whereby we have a MLB close to the uk which retrogresses to meet an amplification off the ESB. This run ultimately fails but it’s an evolution that I believe more likely to occur with a MLB than a Scandi ridge. 

'Yeah' i hear you.

And thats as feasible as anything flagging..

And there are hints of an; MLB-atlantic ridge formation coming into play.

However with the russian peninsula warm a link of any developing waa (atlantic) is although minimal...a possible route!??,

Edit;.

There is plenty afoot..and a complete model flip is on the table late jan.

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Draig Goch said:

GFS 12z much less stormy in the south but much windier in the north. Low pressure and gales are generally tracking further north giving the south a break from the severe gales. Hints of a very strong area high pressure building in the west by the end of January and into February bringing much drier & calmer conditions for many areas :good:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Can't upload charts but it looks much milder for a time next week too with highs of 11-13C in South Wales & Southern England, high single figures elsewhere. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Its not full-proof but until Euro 4 comes into range and it starts to show some interest then I will take note. 

Just checked the temperature map and it has widespread temperatures of 0 and -2 at midday sunday!the only thing i could think is that there is a south east flow bumping into that band of precipitation and a really slack flow before hand across england keeping surface cold!!

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, shaky said:

Just checked the temperature map and it has widespread temperatures of 0 and -2 at midday sunday!the only thing i could think is that there is a south east flow bumping into that band of precipitation and a really slack flow before hand across england keeping surface cold!!

One of two possibilities!!!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
11 minutes ago, shaky said:

The uppers still wouldn't support it though, there is no way that the snow wouldn't melt on its way down, if that run verified then it would be freezing rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
41 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

Todays 6z london ens.

Await compare for gfs 12z..

Expect a notable colder set from 24 onwards!(12z)

#await #compare

MT8_London_ens (1).png

Here's the 12z

graphe_ens3_hwm5.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Well.. the Aperge is interested in countrywide snowfall on Sunday

Aperge2.thumb.jpg.f19f7917e78c42b75bfddbdf03b2455f.jpg

Aperge3.thumb.jpg.655a551c2d23f9e422371d1858c1bd8d.jpg

Much more extensive than other models it has to be said, so largely on it's own for now.

Edited by Danny*

Posted
9 minutes ago, Danny* said:

Well.. the Aperge is interested in countrywide snowfall on Sunday

Aperge2.thumb.jpg.f19f7917e78c42b75bfddbdf03b2455f.jpg

Aperge3.thumb.jpg.655a551c2d23f9e422371d1858c1bd8d.jpg

Much more extensive than other models it has to be said, so largely on it's own for now.

Dont forget ecm had same position of snow on yesterdays 12z run!!in a line liverpool to london!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

If the AAM/MJO combination is successful it will shove the polar vortex about, not leave it to dictate proceedings.

In the GFS and UKMO 12z runs you really can see the MJO P5 / GWO P4 influences trying to turn the tables via height rises increasingly close to the NE, but the Nina forcing keeping the Azores High from gaining enough latitude to link arms in a way that brings us an easterly flow.

It is an almighty battle which may leave us balmy and wettest in the north, chilly and dry for the majority (maybe cold if inversions set up), or cold with snow chances. Oh what fun... :whistling:

• Like 3

Posted
19 minutes ago, shaky said:

Dont forget ecm had same position of snow on yesterdays 12z run!!in a line liverpool to london!!

And the 72 hour chart has not changed to yesterdays 96 hour chart so i assume it along the same line!!beard man will tell us more am sure!!

3 minutes ago, jvenge said:

That ECM run seemed to spew out fairly quickly? Usually another 30 mins before its finished.

Yes weird I don't understand. The files just appeared out of nowhere with even a future date.. The data seems to be correct though. It doesn't look like today 00Z or yesterday 12Z.