Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - mid January

Paul
Message added by Paul

Before posting in to the model discussion, please read our guide to posting in the model threads.

Posted

Well finally the gfs gives us something to drool over...yes over 300 hrs away but if it' shown it must be possible..

GFSOPEU00_348_1-1.png

GFSOPEU00_348_2.png

GFSOPEU00_384_1-5.png

Edited by KTtom
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

Nothing to see here. Move along please.

gfseu-0-324.png

gfseu-1-324.png

• Like 1

Posted

Although I do always note how mild surface temperatures remain in much of the UK even with fantasy synoptics like the 00z FI. Perils of being a narrow island surrounded by water.

Posted
11 hours ago, comet said:

Very disappointing to see the downgraded strat warming by the gfs and to some extent ecm. This at one time was modelled to really bolster the Russian high and Pacific ridge into the Arctic. This has now been toned down to some extent which is not good news imo although I would not be surprised with the recent poor modelling if the warming was forecasted to strengthen again in coming runs. Just my opinion of course.

A post I made last evening and low and behold a few hours later the 0z shows us what can be achieved with stronger strat forcing (warming)and I would imagine a stronger MJO signal. 

Much more amplified pattern on the eastern side to link up with amplified Atlantic ridge While very cold air avected westwards. Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Johnp said:

That has to be the best GFS FI run of all time?

If only eh..?

It might just appear on a GFS FI Greatest Hits album, I'll grant you that.

• Like 1

Posted

Imagine if that GFS became reality - back to the good old days with a 1000 members in here. Something tells me mid to late feb will be epic 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
4 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Imagine if that GFS became reality - back to the good old days with a 1000 members in here. Something tells me mid to late feb will be epic 

There is always the chance, with the uncertainty of where the high will drift too. If the professionals don't know then we will have to watch it unfold but we are in the game for a good finish to the winter for sure.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

GFI is great eye candy but it will probably change on the 6z, however, with the MetO now predicting a below average February something must be up and they clearly don't foresee a continuation of the mild westerly dross.

With a GFS run like that and a MetO MRF like we have you would be mad to call Winter Over.

Andy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Good to see the phantom Easterly make a reappearance in deep FI.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Great run in make believe land. Until we get that within 96hrs I won't be getting too carried away.

A colder than average February could quite easily mean a big fat high sat over the top of us with chilly nights. Cold does not always mean snowy wonderland. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

Not really surprising to see the Gfs provide N operational that introduces frigid 850's to the Uk. The runs over the past two or so days have consistently shown 8 or 9 perturbations in between -5 and - 15. On that basis alone any winter's over calls seem way wide of the mark.

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Ecm look fairly similar at 240 to gfs ,maybe just once an fl cold chart can verify down to time zero:cold:

I'd agree, they do look broadly similar. God knows I shouldn't be worried about output at that range but I take just a glimmer of optimism from those charts... At least until today's output reverts to rubbish.

gfsnh-0-240 (2).png

ECH1-240 (2).gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bitter Cold in winter and Extreme heat in summer
1 hour ago, Johnp said:

That has to be the best GFS FI run of all time?

If only eh..?

I'm sure someone else can clarify. But last year a GFS run showed -17 temps for much of the country and up to 3 feet of snow! But yes it would be certainly up there. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
1 hour ago, Ali1977 said:

'Could be epic' bingo

I believe that's now every bit of December, January and February covered :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 hours ago, Seasonality said:

Although I do always note how mild surface temperatures remain in much of the UK even with fantasy synoptics like the 00z FI. Perils of being a narrow island surrounded by water.

Depends more on the source of cold than anything. Feb 2005's easterly was not overly cold despite Synoptics as much of Europe wasn't either. Feb 2009 or 2012 on the other hand were both decently cold with ice days. 

My concern is it will all be too anticyclonic with the main plunge of cold diverting SWwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
1 hour ago, Radiating Dendrite said:

Great run in make believe land. Until we get that within 96hrs I won't be getting too carried away.

A colder than average February could quite easily mean a big fat high sat over the top of us with chilly nights. Cold does not always mean snowy wonderland. 

Brilliant post . Nice to see level head and focus on those charts that you mention . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
Just now, offerman said:

Brilliant post . Nice to see level head and focus on those charts that you mention . 

Yes indeed a level headed post...........Although of course so far this winter, cold has indeed mean't a snowy wonderland for various parts of the UK?

Edited by Broadmayne blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

That's proper winter weather and not just for the north southern Britain could be hit hard with heavy snow its a long way out  gfs 6z coming out now I expect theme to continue..

IMG_0457.PNG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
21 minutes ago, abbie123 said:

That's proper winter weather and not just for the north southern Britain could be hit hard with heavy snow its a long way out  gfs 6z coming out now I expect theme to continue..

IMG_0457.PNG

That's pretty much the perfect February chart. you may want to lower your expectations just a touch on a D13 chart, just saying...... it's not got for your well-being lol 

• Like 1

Posted

Still seems to be a lot of chopping and changing with the initial degree of amplification.

The GFS 06hrs run brings some colder air sw with a more amplified upstream pattern. The high is still likely to topple afterwards but would be good to see some colder air early before we wait for hopefully something more sustained later.

• Like 2