Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - mid January

Paul
Message added by Paul

Before posting in to the model discussion, please read our guide to posting in the model threads.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
16 minutes ago, Optimus Prime said:

You see though, that's the problem. Posting charts that are 7 & 10 days out is not rationale. And then go on and post a precip chart 10 days out!

Again they are just 850 hPa. -10 850 hPa from the NW will inheritably be different to one from the east. The surface cold from an easterly would not be there in a NW'ly. 

Those are not-850hpa upper charts there geo pots!!!

Posted
Just now, tight isobar said:

Those are not-850hpa upper charts there geo pots!!!

They're not tbh, they're 850's - says so on the title at the top of the chart :) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
23 minutes ago, Optimus Prime said:

You see though, that's the problem. Posting charts that are 7 & 10 days out is not rationale. And then go on and post a precip chart 10 days out!

Again they are just 850 hPa. -10 850 hPa from the NW will inheritably be different to one from the east. The surface cold from an easterly would not be there in a NW'ly. 

No one has said anything about -10 850hPa temps from a NW'ly been different from an easterly. The point of the post was stating how rare it is to get it over in the uk! And there is the element of an easterly direction for us in the models. Look at the early stages of ecm ! Where do you think the cold air is been pulled from. Hardly from NW'ly is it...

Edited by Paul
No need to be so abrupt.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE
28 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

A pretty good ECM ensemble mean even at T240 hrs, displaced Azores high and low heights over Southern Europe.

Factor in the MJO and we could see further westwards corrections.

The mjo is due to impact in the next 48 hrs so we should see the  models adjust!

Edited by snowice
  • Thanks 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Snowjokes92 said:

No one has said anything about -10 850hPa temps from a NW'ly been different from an easterly. The point of the post was stating how rare it is to get it over in the uk! And there is the element of an easterly direction for us in the models. Look at the early stages of ecm ! Where do you think the cold air is been pulled from. Hardly from NW'ly is it...

The point I was trying to make here was that rationale was being used as a counter argument but the content being displayed was model analysis well outside reliability. It just seemed a bit counterintuitive. I just wouldn't have used an example in that way myself.

But you're right the earlier ECM examples posted show some impressive cold over us from the east for a time. Looking at the way high pressure is orientated to the NE and how deep the cyclonic activity is bursting out of Greenland on the jet, facilitated by the contrast in very cold and warmer air I personally don't think an easterly is the most likely option, 

• Like 2

Posted

Very interesting charts today with some unusual synoptics suggesting cold and at times wintry weather for some. Here in Ireland we could do with the Pattern edging further west to bring us more in to the game. Not impossible by any means and it already happened in December when I had three days of lying snow after models adjusted pattern west a few days before the 10th Dec event which meant  snow rather than rain for my location ...either way much of the UK should do well if current charts verify so hopefully all you fellow snow geeks get your just rewards in the coming days and weeks ahead. Hopefully more upgrades to come starting with 18z later.

BTW pity to see such bickering here tonight on what is in general a fantastic forum with so many excellent posters . Be nice to each other peeps...its only the weather....

Signed : Bottled Snow (not BS) ?  

Edited by Bottled Snow
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
30 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Well, I haven't posted for 15 days but after viewing this evening's Ecm 12z I couldn't keep quiet any longer!:shok::cold:cold attack from the east followed by unusually cold air from the west / northwest..hardly bog standard is it?:D..good luck to us all, get the cold air in place (entrenched) and hopefully most of us will see snow ❄❄❄❄❄❄..speaking of snow, saturday could be a very interesting day across a large swathe of the uk..:)

96_mslp850uk.png

120_mslp850uk.png

144_mslp850uk.png

168_mslp850uk.png

192_mslp850uk.png

216_mslp850uk.png

We are all wondering where you've been Karl, I'm wondering if you finally found the magical controls to the charts. There's no place like home... Good to see you back posting again ? I think you may need to stock up on your blue/purple crayons ❄

mancurtain.jpg

Edited by geordiekev
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything newsworthy, so long as it's not in the Daily Express
42 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Well, I haven't posted for 15 days but after viewing this evening's Ecm 12z I couldn't keep quiet any longer!:shok::cold:cold attack from the east followed by unusually cold air from the west / northwest..hardly bog standard is it?:D..good luck to us all, get the cold air in place (entrenched) and hopefully most of us will see snow ❄❄❄❄❄❄..speaking of snow, saturday could be a very interesting day across a large swathe of the uk..:)

Welcome back Frosty. Few of us on here been wondering where you'd got to. Good to have you back cheering the cold in. :D

Edited by supernova
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

I've been on this forum for eleven years I've never seen such winter charts from both west and east such cold but subject to change ....:cold:

h850t850eu-1.png

ecmt850.144-1.png

ecmt850.144.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Really interesting charts and certainly heading towards a 2010 event after many years of dross.

interesting to see that so called warm sector on Mon/Tuesday admittedly only -7 here in the South West :). I’m mindful that the last 3 snow events here in South Devon 1985/1987 and 1994 all came in early to mid February and this appears to be more towards a 1985/1994 event as 87 came from a blocked easterly month. Heck even in 2010 in that December was only marginal here. Do others see this the same way?? Perhaps these comments that February are too late haven’t seen the events we get here in February :) 

On a personal level I’m driving from London to Plymouth on Sunday I’m just hoping it’ll be ok to be fair!! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything newsworthy, so long as it's not in the Daily Express

@fergieweather on Twitter. 5a7239413dfb2_ScreenShot2018-01-31at21_45_03.thumb.png.22aa25ed6f9b5541bcac61cec8eb1ea6.png No surprises but no cold water either, no pun intended.

• Like 3

Posted
15 minutes ago, philglossop said:

Really interesting charts and certainly heading towards a 2010 event after many years of dross.

interesting to see that so called warm sector on Mon/Tuesday admittedly only -7 here in the South West :). I’m mindful that the last 3 snow events here in South Devon 1985/1987 and 1994 all came in early to mid February and this appears to be more towards a 1985/1994 event as 87 came from a blocked easterly month. Heck even in 2010 in that December was only marginal here. Do others see this the same way?? Perhaps these comments that February are too late haven’t seen the events we get here in February :) 

On a personal level I’m driving from London to Plymouth on Sunday I’m just hoping it’ll be ok to be fair!! 

I don't have the stats, but for lowland SW England at least I think February on average is every bit as snowy as January, indeed slightly colder as well. Certainly February isn't too late for heavy snow, indeed more chance of snow in late Feb than much of December. Yes the increasing strength of the sun, makes it more difficult to sustain snow cover during the midday; but other factors often override its effects, including SST's being lower now, and continental cold pooling and arctic cold pooling being at there greatest in depth.

Feb is the equivalent of August - and no-one says no chance of heatwaves in August, so absolutely no reason to discount snow chances in Feb. Our two heaviest snowfalls of the last 30 years have come in February, and one came in March. Indeed March has been snowier than January in many a recent year! Alot of winter left still - only at half way stage.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Southern track feature should aid in closing the warm sector..

and as again start to introduce eastwards cold spillage....

With intro of azhp to tighten things for a more continental flow!!

gfs-0-72.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 1

Posted

I for one have for some time been calling end of Jan and then on into Feb for cold weather with the strat and MJO playing ball with east / north easterly airflow. As late as early yesterday was thinking this was a poor call with mediocre upper temps and similar wet snow, slushy fest away from high ground. The last 24 hours has seen a fairly substantial  upgrade although not sure if ecm is over doing it a tad.

Whether we stay locked into a cold pattern as the ecm is starting to suggest or there will be a temporarily relaxation one thing I do known if the warming and split that the gefs have been modelling comes off ( There is every likelihood that it will) then what we may see in the second half of February could be the like of which we have not seen since Feb 91 or Jan 87 both in terms of snow and depth of cold. That is a long way off for now though and plenty to keep us entertained in the meantime.

Happy days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
1 hour ago, blizzard81 said:

Ecm op a marked cold outlier for London. We may need to temper expectations with regards to what exactly comes our way from the east early next week. 

I was looking at the mean of which is cold anyway:)

• Like 1

Posted

Cold advecting Eastwards faster. Deep continental cold now diving SE instead of South in this timeframe (straight for the UK). Could be an upgrade this. 0100 Sunday 12z vs 18z.

gfsnh-1-84.thumb.png.396e40d074def0eb84103993be00e24c.pnggfsnh-1-78.thumb.png.a20774a5b973f98f6fc32c1371902939.png

Edited by supernova

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

-10's nudging into the east coast just 96 hours away...and plenty more where that come from.  This run is looking very nice so far.

gfs-1-96.png?18  gfsnh-0-96.png?18

• Like 1

Posted

just watched  bbc news 24  weather  they saying its going  to be cold for the next 2 weeks   with sleet and snow at times

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1