Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - mid January

Paul
Message added by Paul

Before posting in to the model discussion, please read our guide to posting in the model threads.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

The overnight GEM and NOGAPS ensemble suites show an improved appetite for delivering frigid to us when they previously had very little in terms of sub -5c.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

At t168 this morning we have ECM and GFS both showing high pressure close enough to the UK to keep us main dry

ecm2.2018020300_168_lant.troplant_prp_fcst.gentracker.thumb.png.431fdba44664638286500cf918f17a9c.pnggfs2.2018020300_168_lant.troplant_prp_fcst.gentracker.thumb.png.34444e4ad6cef1d7852d7056b5507a9b.png

UKMO has other ideas with a fairly deep low to the north of Scotland bringing windier conditions and some rain

ukm2.2018020300_168_lant.troplant_prp_fcst.gentracker.thumb.png.7c8be72b0bcfc08a959667e778dbc500.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
11 minutes ago, SN0WM4N said:

Snow is also more common in those months than December. Well April anyway.

No it's not... :rofl: Easterlies yes, snow no.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
15 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Easterlies can even be warm in late spring, if the continent is heating up. I think May 2008 is a good example of a warm easterly. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 4

Posted
44 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Does that include the 0z suite?

Yep

3BFCA201-DFCC-4BA8-9E61-1F0C12A253D8.thumb.jpeg.64ec504f1e3736b0ffb3b7b4bae5e936.jpeg

given that this invariably trends towards climatology at day 15 (hence the Azores ridge ), this isn’t a bad indicator 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

The doom and gloom army are out in force this weekend ?. Funny when there's a potential cold spell round the corner they come out in force . The broad pattern looks the same as it has for the last few days . Off course op runs are gonna change run to run . Look at the ens there is loads going on as we enter Feb. We would do very very well to miss out on some wintry weather that's for sure . IMG_1112.thumb.PNG.6dbb01569739ac69471ca0b60eeeb2f8.PNG

very cold runs in there . The snow rows up . And the ecm was a milder outlier towards the end . It's all good in the hood . ?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

The doom and gloom army are out in force this weekend ?. Funny when there's a potential cold spell round the corner they come out in force . The broad pattern looks the same as it has for the last few days . Off course op runs are gonna change run to run . Look at the ens there is loads going on as we enter Feb. We would do very very well to miss out on some wintry weather that's for sure . IMG_1112.thumb.PNG.6dbb01569739ac69471ca0b60eeeb2f8.PNG

very cold runs in there . The snow rows up . And the ecm was a milder outlier towards the end . It's all good in the hood . ?

Yes it always happens,always .The same posters come and post negative comments about the chances of a cold spell happening.

still looks a good chance to me of a cold spell developing soon,looking at the models this morning

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
59 minutes ago, cheese said:

Easterlies can even be warm in late spring, if the continent is heating up. I think May 2008 is a good example of a warm easterly. 

Absolutely. May 2008 brought a classic warm easterly followed by a chilly one with a northerly source.

Posted

Bit dismissive just to nonsense people's posts because they have a mild bias, the majority on here have a cold bias and look for any avenue to cold so I find the mild rampers equally useful, gives some balance.

Its all very well looking at ENS suites but they struggle to pick up the spoiler features that always pop up and ruin easterlies, I just cannot see an easterly with the polar vortex still where it is, it requires some serious luck and we never get that.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
5 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Bit dismissive just to nonsense people's posts because they have a mild bias, the majority on here have a cold bias and look for any avenue to cold so I find the mild rampers equally useful, gives some balance.

Its all very well looking at ENS suites but they struggle to pick up the spoiler features that always pop up and ruin easterlies, I just cannot see an easterly with the polar vortex still where it is, it requires some serious luck and we never get that.

Fair point In first paragraph.

ENS suites are a guide though for what could be a change in pattern, and looking for depth or longevity of cold as an example, (or heat). As for the PV, it’s been in tatters for most of winter and with any easterly, PV lobes sending energy SE is never a bad thing! 

Interesting times ahead for all enthusiasts I’d say!

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 3

Posted

It seems to me the weekend is the 18z very hungover brother, output always seems to be missing something :-@ when the models go in low res, it's like someone let's down a balloon. I think the easterly is gonna be like Mr deeds butler, but interesting model watching.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Indeed.

As I said in my earlier post, we have taken a step back this morning with some rather ordinary NWP output.  Let's see how output pans out from here but definitely no impending freeze on the horizon at the moment.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

Whoops it was march not April

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow
10 minutes ago, Nick F said:

I understand the negativity given the model output this morning, but models will often struggle with a pattern change, particularly when the change is still outside the high res timeframes of the models, hence beyond 7 days we get swings between runs showing cold then showing mild then back to cold again, well certainly GFS anyhow. EC op has been fairly persistent as the potential pattern change driven by MJO wave is still likely beyond day 10 anyway. The models often do not latch on to blocking occurring to within 7 days anyway, so I’m not duly concerned until we reach 2nd week of Feb and still no cold spell showing within 7 days!

Amidst the negative posts this one surfaces like a green shoot amongst the dung pile yes output will always change but the trends are still there

Edited by snowfish1
  • Like 1

Posted

as @Nick F says above- there's no point worrying about individual runs whilst there's still so much inter-run inconsistency. take the 00z and 06z runs as an example-

gfsnh-0-240-4.thumb.png.6eeca7482439d4f8c9d33d1211d58d49.png

gfsnh-0-234.thumb.png.1acd2d19a8b1d9477e7192005b9589c2.png

both at the same timeframe (10 days) and huge differences. ensembles and trends are the best guide until we get consistency at closer timescales.

meanwhile,

images-2.jpg.fae76ba65f9eaf2d6113e446eff93281.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

If it is positives one looks for then the models do show two things..

1) The vortex remains under assault from the Pacific (perhaps also Siberia) side. 

2) Pressure does remain relatively high to our south meaning that a few dead fronts and wind are the order of the day rather than any raging zonality. 

Unfortunately our despondency here stems from people wanting things to happen too quickly since the vortex disruption sends too much energy to Canada. It may be that we have to go through an unsettled period to get a vortex shift into Siberia before we can look to anything meaninful. 

At any rate, there are worse places to be in a weeks time than this.. 

ECH1-168.GIF

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

As much as the models ( mainly the GFS ) have given a us a bit of a tease I’m afraid the last 2 days have seen a general downgrade of the signal of high pressure over Scandi- we started out with Scandi high from GFS then this gradually morphed into a wedge of heights to the NE swerving the jet to the SW of the UK - last nights control was the highlight-

The problem with a wedge being modelled as opposed to a proper high is that it’s subject to big revisions in location - & we are currently seeing the models gradually ease things away east - favouring the more traditional low heights over Iceland aligned west east not even NW SE - 

This is why also the MJO plots are almost as useless as well- it ceases to amaze me that no one realises they are all the same data depicted in a different way- for example this week everyone got excited over the 00z GFS & GFS - then about 2 hours later someone posts the MJO forecast & that ramps everything up again - even post that the AO means gets churned out as a big indicator - & it euphoria- & everyone thinks that 3 data sources must be adding a lot of credibility - it’s not it’s just 1 GFS data source.

Also personally I’m glad that GSDM website is shutting down because to date all its ever delivered is a lot of useless information that exemplifies the starting point across the globe in terms of what everything is doing but beyond that nothing meaningful in terms of creating a tangable forecast - All I see is a long list of If but & maybes to cover all bases. It might be science based & it all looks very glossy but actually delivers diddly squat.

This winters got 3-4 main weeks left & then it’s over for another year, whist we have been lucky in certain locations the headline figures will be yet again no SSW which makes it what 7-8 years -

probably no deep cold from the continent ( although there is still time ) 

No Greenland high - when was the last time we saw that & an above average winter...

We will be very very lucky if things work in our favour now..

I think the issue with the MJO plots is the lag re patterns establishing this side of the NH. There must be a good 5 to 7 days to get the patten over the east Atlantic reflective of the MJO analogue. the models are showing a trop that seems pre disposed to amplification at the moment. But seems tough for this to sustain with the Canadian vortex spewing out pulses of low heights every few days. the fact that we know glosea and ec 46 are both ridgy to our east by mid Feb is notable. Anything before that remains unreliable and given the range, those tools are always suspect. I think the end of last jan saw us chasing a scandi ridge as the strat vortex showed a sudden drop to almost ssw territory. We aren’t in the same place this season stratwise but we are still chasing the scandi ridge! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

It's that persistent cold pooling over Canada yet again that's throwing the constant curveball at us. It's barely moved all winter. 

I'm sorry, but the idea of eastern Pacific ridging only diverts the polar vortex to sit very stubbornly over NE Canada as the jet becomes rampant and digs down SE over the states and roars up the US east coast. I'd be more confident of us getting the cold with a Siberian placed main PV. The Azores high has also made sure of us missing out on easterly/northeasterly shots too. Unless we see that Canadian vortex removed and low heights over the Azores too, any chance of a classic spell will start to wane. 

As we approach solar minimum, I'm getting confident however that we will see something terrific maybe in one of the next few up and coming winters. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Some suffer from double standards imo on this forum I’m afraid.

Anyway, Nick F has kind of hit the nail on the head imo with the Models struggling in the low res to have any consistency, some patience required., S4lancia also made a good point earlier on. It’s feasible we miss out, just! But we’ve got a good shot in February for a decent cold spell.

Will we get there or not, still not a single person on this forum can be sure either way. 

Ps we can see from De Bilt ens that the ECM was a mild outlier, and the control a stonker!!

BE5D0909-4415-45B7-959A-CAAB6441361B.thumb.png.e01f4e7ca84d00307b8af2dbfcb03eab.png

Edited by karlos1983
Typo
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Total fantasy but Pert 20 is what most people on here are after.. This would be epic - check it out :drunk-emoji:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?ech=192&code=20&mode=0&carte=1

• Like 2