Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - mid January

Paul
Message added by Paul

Before posting in to the model discussion, please read our guide to posting in the model threads.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

No comment from me on the GFS tonight.:lazy:

JMA all out and still looking remarkably good, reload from the NE there now showing up. Met Office do rate the JMA of course.:p

J144-21.gif

J192-21.gif

J264-21.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I do think we are clutching at straws now for circa 10th -12th feb, which for the 'its not worth getting cold in after that because of sun strength - id rather spring' camp then it realistically means game over, however for those old enough to remember 5th March 1995, same date 1987, and more pertinently,  LATE APRIL 1981, who wouldn't turn their nose up at a late season dumping then there is one good piece of news from today - this chart, cant help feeling that gives us a great chance of a stonking late feb.

gfsnh-10-384_ptw5.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Don’t worry folks, start warming here to ruin spring for Sidney

3D19EEB5-AD00-4F85-96FB-79C1B75F609C.thumb.png.f9989f305b5048f3fddbb437c9950684.png

someone pass me a beer ?‍♂️

EDIT: Feb just beat me to it ha ha 

ps let’s hope GloSea can snatch victory from the jaws of defeat :spiteful: 

44BC87ED-7B56-4EFE-9ADD-594E2F7991BB.thumb.png.9ef0c74a0170974cab7587000de2fe97.png

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS-php/strat.php?run=2018012918&var=HGT&lev=1mb&hour=384

That really would be golden bullet - never mind the silver bullet for a stonking late feb / March

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS-php/strat.php?run=2018012918&var=HGT&lev=1mb&hour=384

That really would be golden bullet - never mind the silver bullet for a stonking late feb / March

That's an incredibly good place for a warming event. What's the lag on these strat events? 14-20 days???

Edited by inghams85
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
1 minute ago, inghams85 said:

That's an incredibly good place for a warming event. What's the lag on these strat events? 14-20 days???

I think the lag is more like a month, so mid March?

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, inghams85 said:

Can be a lot shorter sometimes.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
10 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Split occurs before 384 aswell, more like 336 ish.

That Olympic fella Cohen on twitter will like that :D

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, snowray said:

I think the lag is more like a month, so mid March?

No - not always, it depends, I haven't really tried to find out about this particular event as its too far out and in its infacncy in terms of its only been showing recently and this is the first time its actually got into significant SSW territory like vortex destruction territory so need to wait and see if its maintained.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

No - not always, it depends, I haven't really tried to find out about this particular event as its too far out and in its infacncy in terms of its only been showing recently and this is the first time its actually got into significant SSW territory like vortex destruction territory so need to wait and see if its maintained.

Thats one bit of good news then, I always thought about a month, so potentially as early as last week of Feb/first of March then, still a long way off though as you say.:)

Posted
1 minute ago, snowray said:

Thats one bit of good news then, I always thought about a month, so potentially as early as last week of Feb/first of March then, still a long way off though as you say.:)

If its maintained on future runs then no doubt Interitus,  Chionomaniac, Lorenzo GP etc will comment on the strat thread in the coming days so lets just wait and see, first things first, lets see if it has any GEFS 18z support.

• Like 1

Posted

I’m only picking this out to say what an unusual looking chart this is...

A7A0E0EE-5F79-45A1-BDEF-A0D5CCB2CC58.thumb.png.4f0bdc3d03b71c9556584c1e0235b2f6.png

Look at the strength of the displaced Azores out to the west. Not going downwards that one!

• Like 3

Posted

The strat warming / split not without support although the 12z mean was even better, about a handful of members back up the op with regard to the extremities.

gensnh-21-7-384_mke5.png

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

The strat warming / split not without support although the 12z mean was even better, about a handful of members back up the op with regard to the extremities.

gensnh-21-7-384_mke5.png

That is decent for a mean it’s interesting the warming faded entirely from yesterday and it’s back and as ‘strong’ as ever. Model mayhem. Delayed spring a good bet I feel while it seems like a frustrating rut I have hope we’ll break out of it while there is still time left. Alarm bells will ring for me in 2 to 3 weeks time. 

26074601-ADA3-4275-A786-940516DA0F48.thumb.png.608eb2aa280102b13d1d2d62b3e8aa35.png

Posted
1 minute ago, Daniel* said:

That is decent for a mean it’s interesting the warming faded entirely from yesterday and it’s back and as ‘strong’ as ever. Model mayhem. Delayed spring a good bet I feel while it seems like a frustrating rut I have hope we’ll break out of it while there is still time left. Alarm bells will ring for me in 2 to 3 weeks time. 

26074601-ADA3-4275-A786-940516DA0F48.thumb.png.608eb2aa280102b13d1d2d62b3e8aa35.png

The warming did fade completely on the op runs and I'm led to believe lost support from ensembles but never completely lost signal (I wasn't checking ens yesterday)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow

The "problem" has been that the vortex hasn't shifted from Canada and USA since it moved there I Think it was December and set up camp there. They've had an awesome winter lucky **** unfortunately that and the aZores ugh have colluded together and like a stuckrecord keep playing the same tune .... nothing wants to give resulting in a repeating pattern. Extremely frustrating model watching and if something doesn't give soon ....

Edited by snowfish1

23 minutes ago, KTtom said:

Well the ukmo still refusing to give up....if only the vortex was a tad further west...

UKMOPEU00_144_1-3.png

UKMO good plus a few GFS ENS dropping lumps of the vortex south ( PRB 9 )

A good start to the day!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Ukmo-ecm..@144 hrs...

The large lobe vortex is a pain for a notable punch of heights ...however some/most im sure will agree...its not a bad evo-and could certainly improve!!!!

UW144-21.gif

ECM1-144.gif

Posted
11 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

Ukmo-ecm..@144 hrs...

The large lobe vortex is a pain for a notable punch of heights ...however some/most im sure will agree...its not a bad evo-and could certainly improve!!!!

UW144-21.gif

ECM1-144.gif

Indeed - ECM is closing in the UKMO solution.  GFS on another planet at the moment.

Still a lot of water to flow under the bridge but in UKMO we trust!!

• Like 1