Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - mid January

Paul
Message added by Paul

Before posting in to the model discussion, please read our guide to posting in the model threads.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wild!
1 minute ago, igloo said:

Well the west is best if you live in western scotland northern ireland or cumbria as easterlys deliver nothing in those areas but i do no the cold gets modifayed the further south it goes which sadly has been the case all season so far for the southern half of the uk

To be honest, we have had so much snow up here I would happily settle for some sunny cold weather.. aka easterly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Mean uppers at T+192 if we can advect the cold air as ECM funnels it straight towards us then we would be set for a very cold air / spell from the E it’s not been available previously.

6350B871-489B-487B-B12D-0ED4B3AE7C9B.thumb.png.a51eb873e610b54b65a607c49029179e.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but wind & rain
31 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

Because everyone loves to chase cold snowy charts at 240hrs ?. To  be fair John the reason the most of us are chasing them is because in the next 5 to 7 days it standard boring weather . What is there to discuss ?? We all want proper winter weather for once . Like tonight's ECM

IMG_1114.PNG

IMG_1116.PNG

IMG_1118.PNG

IMG_1120.PNG

Last time I checked this isn't a roulette table or some sort disconnect from real life that people come to discuss weather it still needs some degree of normality to steer it away from charts in the 10 day range to keep sanity.. its like walking into a job tomorrow and the boss telling you in 10 years time you will leave here a millionaire

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Love reading your posts Nick S,it brings a smile to my face when i am down trying to find this easterly lol

we are always at the pinacle in winter months of atlantic weather and continental source and we are always at the last stop or not if you get my gist and the continent gets all the gubbins

it is a finely balanced situation(KNIFE edge) as the winter forecast suggested from NW team and it looks that way at the moment

lets just hope that we can get the pattern to back west a tad,we deserve it cos it's been so long since we had a cold spell,i meen proper cold spell and non of this dusting or slush fest that we have had already,although parts of the midlands have had two snow events but hardly stuck around for long

p.s,not posted in a while,my partner was rushed into hospital last monday vomiting blood from a viral infection and initally the docs thought it was jaundice disease but thankfully it was not,she has just come out yesterday evening so not a good week.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

And whats with this warming NE of Canda!

gfs det/control more so

18z

gfsnh-10-384.png?18gensnh-0-7-384.png?18

what are the ramifications of this!,can GP or the well known few shead some light

usually you get this in NE siberia,confused.com.

there has been a slight warming on the jma plots at 30/10 hpa back to recovery but not sufficient enough to bring the pv down i would of thought.

pole30_nh.gifpole10_nh.gif

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer
22 minutes ago, snowbunting said:

To be honest, we have had so much snow up here I would happily settle for some sunny cold weather.. aka easterly.

Yes it would be a nice change western scotland has had a real pasteing this season from snow but looking at the 18z run we will need a new snow shovel well i will i broke mine last week trying to shovel 14 inches of snow from my pad  two weeks of hard frosts and sun would cheer us all up 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but wind & rain
3 minutes ago, igloo said:

Yes it would be a nice change western scotland has had a real pasteing this season from snow but looking at the 18z run we will need a new snow shovel well i will i broke mine last week trying to shovel 14 inches of snow from my pad  two weeks of hard frosts and sun would cheer us all up 

To be fair you western scots have an absolute tuning from every weather apart from sunshine. so you'll save a bit on sunglasses this year for a new shovel 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
51 minutes ago, igloo said:

I'm sure you could build an Igloo where you are, you must be one of our highest members igloo, as in altitude I mean. :D

In fact I bet it can snow where you live at over 300m asl in Scotland even in the Summer, I mean thats close on to 1,000ft up!:shok::cold:

Edited by snowray

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer
17 minutes ago, snowray said:

I'm sure you could build an Igloo where you are, you must be one of our highest members igloo, as in altitude I mean. :D

In fact I bet it can snow where you live at over 300m asl in Scotland even in the Summer, I mean thats close on to 1,000ft up!:shok::cold:

Makes you think why you would bother looking at the models if the weather you get Day in day out is the same regardless of what season it is as would be the case in certain parts of the country I mean come on why brag like? If I had snow sitting on my door step in July I’d be pretty peeeed off tbh. Just saying!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer
44 minutes ago, snowray said:

Some of the older generation  arould here told me of the times when snow was still piled up in  the shaded areas in may and was black with soot from the coal  fires they burned thats how long it used to lay some years not anymore oviously but i would gladly swap weather with you for a year if it was possible you would notice a big difference in rainfall and sunshine thats for sure

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Please use the Banter/moans thread for chit chat. Just 'Model Discussion' in here thankyou, Please continue..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Well any sign of this deep fetch Easterly ,is well and truly buried this morning on the gfs .

Infact it’s the complete opposite ,after a couple of cold shots from the NW ,it’s looking like a very zonal outlook with strong winds at times too.

Thats the problem chasing Easterlies,untill they appear within t96 then the chance of them ever verifying at a later timescale is probably close to 0%. .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

The strat charts are an absolute stonker though - 1mb is toast with  stonking sisplacement - GEFS lookin good in FI as well.

EDIT : ridgy to NE but atlantic too strong for my liking.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Ecm, like a dog with a bone. Won't let go of the ridge. Interesting. Gfs has the energy coming over the top and flattening the ridge. Until this is resolved the uncertainty continues. 

IMG_0424.PNG

IMG_0425.PNG

Look at the difference in outcome depending on the ridge holding or not.

IMG_0426.PNG

IMG_0427.PNG

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 1

Posted

850hpa uppers....that is some serious cold bottled up the the north west...anyone going to Canada over the next few days will need more than  Woolly jumper!

ECMOPEU00_240_2.png

Edited by KTtom

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms frost snow heatwaves
10 minutes ago, KTtom said:

850hpa uppers....that is some serious cold bottled up the the north west...anyone going to Canada over the next few days will need more than  Woolly jumper!

ECMOPEU00_240_2.png

Ecm00z looking more progressive again with a lot of energy on the northern arm of the jet. Besides, frigid temps over Canada and North America usually does not bode well for us in terms of cold. A fueling of the jet stream ain’t something we want to be seeing with the clock already ticking on the winter of 17/18 :wallbash:

• Like 3

Posted

Decent support from the eps for the det solution at day 8:

ECMAVGEU00_192_1.png

GEFS much flatter...

GFSAVGEU00_192_1.png

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Shannon entropy is very much in evidence across the models this morning.  The ECM is again the pick of the bunch bringing in some cold air and a possible battleground scenario at 216 and 240, the uppers look decent.

216 ECU0-216.GIF?28-12 240 ECU0-240.GIF?28-12

Although by 240 the ECM Op is on the cold side of the mean for London

Diagramme ECMWF/CEP

As Feb said earlier, the GFS ensembles are still pretty decent with a lot of cold FI options on the board.  There's good agreement to 120 then predictably a lot of scatter thereafter

Diagramme GEFS

One thing is for sure, there is going to be a lot of model flip flopping over the next few days, I think it's going to take a couple more days until we nail next weekend then we can start to see if February's 'potential' comes to pass.  I suspect today's runs won't be for the faint hearted!

• Like 2

Posted

The Euros have been nothing short of abysmal in terms of the upstream pattern.

Note today the single low upstream has now split into two lows both wrong yesterday evening between T96 and T120hrs!

I'd ignore anything the ECM comes up with till cross model agreement , it still finds away after the earlier debacle to throw out another tease but its the most amplified upstream solution upto T144hrs and its really not to be trusted given the mess its made already.

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Newberryone said:

Ecm00z looking more progressive again with a lot of energy on the northern arm of the jet. Besides, frigid temps over Canada and North America usually does not bode well for us in terms of cold. A fueling of the jet stream ain’t something we want to be seeing with the clock already ticking on the winter of 17/18 :wallbash:

Looking at the London ens it’s by and large an outlier only at D10 it is a cold one the mean flatlines at -5C from the 5th you could say chance of colder conditions before mid month has increased.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
1 hour ago, Newberryone said:

Indeed if you trace the jet stream back over to North America you will see a semi permanent lobe of the polar vortex somewhere over Canada  and the northern states for many days to come and into a good bite of February.  Does not bode well for the uk however as that intense cold only goes on to keep refueling the jet stream giving the uk potent low pressure systems and snow mainly for upland areas at best. We need the polar vortex to reshuffle and move away from its presant location over north America to give us in the uk a fighting chance of some decent wintry weather, at the moment though I can't see a major pattern change:nonono:

npsh500.png

hgt300.png

• Like 1

Posted

The pv, centered over Baffin does allow for us to go cold. A strong northern arm isn’t necessarily going to mean we can’t get a scandi ridge with enough westward influence. It does mean that we are very unlikely to see any sustained mid Atlantic ridging Unless the vortex digs into the USA which currently looks uncertain ( more unlikely side). 

The ec control builds the scandi ridge again and is frigid for nw Europe in general. 

the strat continues  to look like mid Feb scandi ridge but all this is quite a way away Unless the ec theme of earlier pressure build proves correct and can withstand the jet. 

• Like 3