Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

47 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Great work @Ruzzi but you forgot that all important wet baw freezing level :D....which you want to be at 200m or less to see snow at low levels. Looks good for southern and central Scotland though some less cold air for a time further north.

18021512_1406.gif

Y'know I actually considered your wet baws and couldn't find it on weatheronline... where you've posted the chart from, so I'll have to go back and look again ? 

But if the precipitation can penetrate in across the central belt etc then conditions do look good for some lying snow. Up north it'll be just adding to blanket 

• Like 1
  • Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will get lost amid the avalanche of posts....scuse the pun. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN FOR ONLY THE SECOND TIME IN 7 AND A BIT YEARS I HAVE A MEASURABLE SNOWFALL!  Only a cm mind but a landmar

Let's just start with the money shot - both the ECM and the GFS agree that, as of Wednesday 12pm, the upper air temperatures will be sitting at -14/-15C over most of Scotland, the wind will be pretty

We had a bit of a struggle to get to the hospital this morning, the bus was 20 mins late and the taxi got fed up waiting and had gone. But we got there and hubby had the op, it's not cancer it's just

Posted Images

Light snow just starting to fall here,  not sure it'll come yo much as yesterday's remnants have been slowly thawing after an overnight frost. When I was out earlier it was 2C but bitterly cold in the wind. 

If everything works out it looks like I'll be increasing my snow potential next winter. We sold our house recently and have had an offer accepted on another, so paperwork willing we move inland a bit (between Alford & Insch) and upwards a bit (230m) around the end of May. Oh and just for @Hairy Celt, I understand there's a snow blower in the garage. The current owners haven't needed it in the last 4yrs, but it was left by the ones before that. 

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

The 00z GFS and now the 06z GFS show high pressure building towards Greenland around 7 days from now which is a great sign, the ECM however has other ideas.

If the GFS came off then I am sure we would see the return of @More Snow :D

gfs-16-336.thumb.png.df8b6b5673a598f3f6ff775e567e401b.png

If some of the recent GFS charts come off well need to organise helicopter food drops to @More Snow and his family. 

Edit: Heavy light snow on now, if that makes sense. 

Edited by Ravelin

Current heavy snow.  Settling. It's starting to fill up the satellite dish, causing intermittent crashes in the TV signal, which may not be a bad thing while Boris is in full swing. :shok:

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, over_the_rainbow said:

Suspecting it may be rain - but i dont know  - in Perth itself? Any Perth folk confirm? But here at my work just outside Scone its a whiteout and a good couple of cm's already - which makes looking out the window more fun! 

It's snowing and lying to the West of Dundee right down to the river so may be in Perth too. The question is can it get across the city to Broughty Ferry for Mr Hawes? @hawesy

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, over_the_rainbow said:

Suspecting it may be rain - but i dont know  - in Perth itself? Any Perth folk confirm? But here at my work just outside Scone its a whiteout and a good couple of cm's already - which makes looking out the window more fun! 

looking down into the town rooftops and South Inch are nice and white.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Norrance said:

It's snowing and lying to the West of Dundee right down to the river so may be in Perth too. The question is can it get across the city to Broughty Ferry for Mr Hawes? @hawesy

Not sure about the Ferry because I'm at work in St Andrews. It's snowing here too with a very light covering on grassy surfaces. I think it's only the third time I've seen falling snow this winter! :D

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, over_the_rainbow said:

Yey for Hawsey! Hopefully the Ferry is also rocking some of the white stuff! 

Good news about Perth too! :friends:

The excitement is over. Rain now in St Andrews. :D

slushy deposit at home but seen some cracking showers from the office window today..... could do with another fall which produces enough for sledging fun one evening.. fingers crossed the SSW produces.... the amateur experts say definitely yes or definitely no 

• Like 3

Just been out in the car and there seemed to be a lot of lightning out over the hills to the west and sure enough looking at the radar  just now there seems to be a squall line with multiple lightning strikes. Quite spectacular at night .Currently very windy and 2c

• Like 6
11 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Just been out in the car and there seemed to be a lot of lightning out over the hills to the west and sure enough looking at the radar  just now there seems to be a squall line with multiple lightning strikes. Quite spectacular at night .Currently very windy and 2c

The first thundersnow I remember was when we came to Scotland in 1961/62 and were staying on the coast near Portessie. I think it was around New Year and I was looking up out of a skylight window at falling snow and flashes of lightning in a strong north wind which gave snow right down on the beach the next day and blocked the coast road 200 metres from the sea.Had to wait till December 2010 before I saw it again to our south over the Cairngorms .Now here we are again tonight just eight years later and there is more over the mountains to the west.What used to be rare seems to happening with a bit more frequency these days.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

The first thundersnow I remember was when we came to Scotland in 1961/62 and were staying on the coast near Portessie. I think it was around New Year and I was looking up out of a skylight window at falling snow and flashes of lightning in a strong north wind which gave snow right down on the beach the next day and blocked the coast road 200 metres from the sea.Had to wait till December 2010 before I saw it again to our south over the Cairngorms .Now here we are again tonight just eight years later and there is more over the mountains to the west.What used to be rare seems to happening with a bit more frequency these days.

I remember that event well.  It seemed right overhead - the effect was quite menacing!

Incidentally, today's 2hrs worth of snow is the most that has fallen here since then.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Was down in Glasvegas today. Squally showers there this arvo but nothing lying. Returned up the road this evening and Crieff and Comrie appear to have landed in the snawzone today. Looks like we had a decent wee fall here (enough for sledging, etc).  Thawing now - sort of - but the roads were pretty skitey. And to top it all saw a couple of flashes of lightning to the N & NW just after 9pm this evening. This winter just keeps on giving - and it looks like the Candlemas 'forecast' is gonna be on the money this year. Cauld start to 'spring' anyone? 

• Like 4

Some real February weather here today by the sounds, high winds and some heavy snow for periods, returned home from work to some impressive drifting, more so for people in more exposed parts down the glen. Sleetier around tea time, very raw breeze again now at zero

• Like 1

Still looking interesting for tomorrow afternoon/evening around this neck of the woods: 

IMG_8169.thumb.PNG.102d14b0078119e8a917a6959c7a803f.PNG

IMG_8170.thumb.PNG.21fc7f52e0b16cbc3f824387bebf69e8.PNG

IMG_8171.thumb.PNG.7f29eb49ebb130d1d4eab2ef1a17a61d.PNG

IMG_8168.thumb.PNG.142d8c61520210358ed183c3af60ede6.PNG

the accumulation totals for parts of the western highlands look ridiculous by midnight tomorrow. Some parts could be looking at over 40cm, getting on for half a meter ?

The glencoe ski resort will still be open for business by August at this rate, currently 2 meters of snow on their upper slopes at the moment with 30-50cm tomorrow into Friday. Imagine a freezing snowy march on top of that if we get favourable Synoptics from the ssw

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 3

Heavy snow shower pelting down at the minute! Starting to settle but will be brief according to radar. Wasn't expecting to see falling snow this morning!

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 3
23 minutes ago, Northern Strath said:

Quite the morning in the highlands again peeps, 10cm overnight and has been hammering down this morn 

IMG_7080.thumb.PNG.089c8e3fa6e973e16cb7a5e1d9c85d83.PNG

Show off. 3C and not even a flake of frost here.