Snow?

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will get lost amid the avalanche of posts....scuse the pun. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN FOR ONLY THE SECOND TIME IN 7 AND A BIT YEARS I HAVE A MEASURABLE SNOWFALL!  Only a cm mind but a landmar

Let's just start with the money shot - both the ECM and the GFS agree that, as of Wednesday 12pm, the upper air temperatures will be sitting at -14/-15C over most of Scotland, the wind will be pretty

We had a bit of a struggle to get to the hospital this morning, the bus was 20 mins late and the taxi got fed up waiting and had gone. But we got there and hubby had the op, it's not cancer it's just

Posted Images

Morning all - a right messy mix of conditions out there today. Needless to say it's plain rain in St Andrews at 3c/2c.

@CatchMyDrift Tell me the wet baw temperature is not going to become a thing...:D

@aggy Are you telling me you've now had a measurable snowfall? :cc_confused:

5 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Morning all - a right messy mix of conditions out there today. Needless to say it's plain rain in St Andrews at 3c/2c.

@CatchMyDrift Tell me the wet baw temperature is not going to become a thing...:D

@aggy Are you telling me you've now had a measurable snowfall? :cc_confused:

Your wet baws are a permanent feature. I think about them every time it snows.

These pics were from a couple of days ago, we're going back up here this afternoon so fingers crossed there's plenty more scenes like this. I should really do an album as these pics are pretty awesome. No excuses now as we've got proper broadband...finally:

a041.thumb.jpg.9ea61a8a586af16ffe8ca89e7085107e.jpga073.thumb.jpg.b7b20084f020720014296242839d15ac.jpg

• Like 7

Yes just rain in Aberdeen so far with a hint periodically of some snowflakes within... I think that means sleet!

Airport is forecasting snow from about 12noon, we'll see what happens in the city (I suspect it may remain as rain).

We've really missed the snow so far this winter.

1 hour ago, Richard Taylor said:

Well well - now snowing in Aberdeen!

nice..... thats been a long time coming

well a cherry picked chart here but anyone fancy - 16 uppers tickling them 

Screenshot_20180213-133516.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, edo said:

nice..... thats been a long time coming

well a cherry picked chart here but anyone fancy - 16 uppers tickling them 

Screenshot_20180213-133516.png

All very speculative at the moment, but great to see some very potent north easterlies modeled out in stupid territory.

@Hairy Celt @Northern Strath @Northernlights

Take note, the fabled Moray Firth streamer  might be on the cards! 

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

If the 12z runs continue to show what they are showing just now then the netweather forum will crash! 

A repeat of 2010 would be great! 

Agreed although perhaps without the falling gutters this time...

3 hours ago, howham said:

Anyone know if the snow survived further inland this morning in Aberdeenshire?

Just home and there's still a covering of snow on the grass, but really just remnants of slush on the roads. Not really a measurable depth on the grass in the garden, but enough that's there's not much grass showing through. 

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, Richard Taylor said:

Snow's gone, nice & sunny now. Never really lay, not even in upland Aberdeen! When the charts are in alignment and show snowmageddon inside T48, I might sit up and take note!  :D  

The north east really haven't had much luck on the snow front this winter.   Maybe the SSW will help create some snow potential from the east later in the month.    Cant make much sense of the model thread these days  ( not that I ever could ).    It seems to have attracted more and more trolls which is a shame as I enjoyed reading some of the more learned posters. 

3 hours ago, howham said:

Anyone know if the snow survived further inland this morning in Aberdeenshire?

What part of the shire? I’m driving Ellon to my house in kennethmont,the further inland the more snow there is on the ground,very slushy tbh and according to my missus it’s pretty wet slushy at home also.Its going to be a nightmare when it freezes over tonight,tomorrow looking cold as well

Snow from this morning remains in shaded areas with the frost.Short of neeps for inside cattle so lifted a few in muddy conditions.P2131102.thumb.JPG.65cb344b076ff9c4bc13b8d7bb931e41.JPGHowever by late afternoon the ground was skining up with frost and neeps were cleaner and machine working better. Currently 0.5c and clear

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 4

Well, we woke this morning to ....... GREEN, GREEN, and MORE GREEN! Snaw disappeared overnight, just had a few flurries of snizzle and light snow during the day. As for the Beast from the east, well, even wee Seannie oan STV said that it would get very cold towards the end of the month, from the east! We'll see!

• Like 5
11 minutes ago, mistyqueen said:

Well, we woke this morning to ....... GREEN, GREEN, and MORE GREEN! Snaw disappeared overnight, just had a few flurries of snizzle and light snow during the day. As for the Beast from the east, well, even wee Seannie oan STV said that it would get very cold towards the end of the month, from the east! We'll see!

It’s about time the cold and snow started coming from a more favourable direction for us in the north east.Things look to be turning cooler later in the month,fingers crossed for now

A7CC50A6-C685-4380-8F66-C48E2D54132E.png

• Like 1