Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
7 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

Snow accumulation over the next 48 hours..

1FC98E4F-6240-4D7E-A5BA-451F497C2B6C.thumb.gif.6bc4fab2cb04db39a8d2b73a14f4da59.gif

The met office have updated their warnings for the next couple of days and I expect more warnings for Tuesday soon :)

Usual Winter 2017/18 rubbish....no snow where it matters. :rofl:

Seriously though, expecting a busy few days ahead on the thread....is it just me or is this winter exhausting? :D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow
1 minute ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The GFS takes the precip further south, it's really a case of wait and see. I have to admit to being quite nervous-excited about tonight, it could be pretty awesome if it comes off right for any one particular location. 20cm of snow to a fairly low level is not out of the question but there is a lot that can go wrong. Someone will be very happy at 8am tomorrow, but who??

Yes you are right, I guess it will be a case of looking at the radar later and hope it goes our way. 

Posted
9 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The GFS takes the precip further south, it's really a case of wait and see. I have to admit to being quite nervous-excited about tonight, it could be pretty awesome if it comes off right for any one particular location. 20cm of snow to a fairly low level is not out of the question but there is a lot that can go wrong. Someone will be very happy at 8am tomorrow, but who??

It’s knife-edge stuff, Catch, Euro 4 has 950s in your patch of about +4c at Midnight then -1c just 3 hours later. Question is does the cold air dig in quickly enough to turn the rain to snow before it clears?  Or rather I think it will but the speed of the transition could be the difference between 2cm and 10cm....

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 2

Posted

Massive upgrade to weather warnings for here over the next few days, my journey down the m74 early on Monday is looking in doubt :yahoo:at least I now have a dash cam to record the snow  if I go for it!

@Hairy CeltI have had the weatherproofs on a golf for the last year. They are brilliant - particularly with deep surface water as well as the snow. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

Ah but do you still think in mpg, or converted to litres / 100km? That's the last one I can't get my head round...

How're you finding the weatherproofs? I've worn down my fancy summer low profiles and was thinking going the whole hog with some medium profile wide weatherproofs for the Golf... which is what you've done?

Beautiful calm, sunny day here so far and with winds so light I don't expect we'll get the snow forecast for west and inland. I'll go with Euro4 on this occasion.

shhh, mpg.

I have low profile weatherproofs on my 'winter' alloys, full summer tyres (Vredestein Ultrac Vorti) on my summer alloys (bought another set on e-bay). The weatherproofs were just not fun enough in warm conditions and were wearing down with the amount of commuting I do.

In winter they're perfect though, especially for longer, higher speed journeys. They're not as good in the snow as full winters, but no getting stuck and do stop you in a controlled manner if you have to hit the brakes. Snowy roads are uncommon anyway; Scottish winter is more 'all seasons', so the weatherproofs are more appropriate. Will buy again.

EDIT

Oh man, my forecast is now 3-4 days of snaw and freezing temps, starting the night. Quality.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
5 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

shhh, mpg.

I have low profile weatherproofs on my 'winter' alloys, full summer tyres on my summer alloys (bought another set on e-bay). The weatherproofs were just not fun enough in warm conditions and were wearing down with the amount of commuting I do.

In winter they're perfect though, especially for longer, higher speed journeys. They're not as good in the snow as full winters, but no getting stuck and do stop you in a controlled manner if you have to hit the brakes. Snowy roads are uncommon anyway; Scottish winter is more 'all seasons' anyway. Will buy again.

Yeah that's what I'm doing now, but I've not tried the weatherproofs properly in summer. I did get the impression they weren't as good as good summer tyres in summer though so will replace the PS with more of the same come May.  Lol, snowy roads not uncommon where I go - I just take the Yeti with proper winters for those trips.

Yeti.thumb.jpg.09b6a78d4bc06e66cef7305641d53636.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Hawesy, may I recommend a new measurement tool for your predictions over the coming days....

C5C57F48-572B-413E-ADF2-2E7EF51363FF.thumb.jpeg.daae5e283d1824aa3c2449b485845599.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Sorry not been following this - am I to get snaw tonight as well? Husband says he doesn't know and doesn't want to either.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Only been able to dip in for an occasional nosy this week as have been horribly busy with work and kids stuff. Then in between the  trip between the swimming pool and pottery today phone won't mental with snow warnings. Fab winter so far. Hope @Hawesy gets some white stuff this weekend. 

Posted

I’m doing my reverse psychology again

that being said I have to say Ayr could eventually get a decent fall over the next 48hrs the charts look good 

good luck to my snowless brothers and sister especially @Hawesy could we break the habit of a winter ???

• Like 2

Posted

I’ll be issuing my latest predictions around 7pm after I’ve  (a) finished this walk and (b) had a couple of pints for Dutch courage 

:D

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!
2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

If you don't get snow the rest of us are pretty much stuffed.

Oh my god - the pressure!!! :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Calm before the snaw here.

Increasingly chilly wind seems tae have eased a bit.

Radar looking mean in the west.:diablo:

Posted

Well...  Sorry to be a downer, but in all honesty this winter is starting to frustrate :) The majority have done very well, and I certainly don't begrudge anyone else their hard won white stuff, but for here its been so many chances and even the ones that have come off have been fairly disappointing.

I'm going to stick my gloomy neck out and predict a big fat zero for here overnight and tomorrow.  There might be something on the outskirts, but here in town it just seems that the snow gods have forsaken us.

However, best of luck to everyone else and I do hope you get some lovely snow :)

Tim

Edited by TinyTim

Posted

Didn't feel that cold today. Rain now on with a bit of sleet against the window in the heavier bursts. 

Looking good for me tomorrow with the met office automated symbols showing heavy snow showers throughout the day. Monday and Tuesday not without potential either. 

IMG_3787.thumb.PNG.986a383b93ec6efdbadc3e1b27ae2bad.PNG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

5.3c/3c/WNW so a bit of a way to go for me yet.   Is it right that it has to start off as rain first and turn later?

Cloud arriving now.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

After a mild start to the day at 6c this afternoon it started to rain but is now turning to sleet with the temps dropping to 2.9c at some stage this evening it will turn to snaw me thinks and not to long

Posted

The intense rain band has moved in (got a little snow last night didn't expect it) see how long this stays as rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Where's @More Snow got to? If the latest GFS came off, he'd be in need of more than a landrover to get the kids to school! For here unfortunately, a raging easterly is just very cold and grey.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

I don’t think I will see any snow here later. According to the latest Euro 4 the southern uplands will get pumped later. Looks like Moffat will get it good. Hopefully there are plenty of snow showers to follow as we head into tomorrow morning :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

Snaw here just turned in the past 10min with the temps also dropping to 1.9c so not lying just yet so patience everybody the snaw level is getting lower

Posted
19 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

I don’t think I will see any snow here later. According to the latest Euro 4 the southern uplands will get pumped later. Looks like Moffat will get it good. Hopefully there are plenty of snow showers to follow as we head into tomorrow morning :)

It’s looking good for the borders but always a tough call when it’s rain to snaw, fingers crossed we all see something.

A75ECD3A-BD59-448E-8B75-063E038D955D.png

0667C71D-E84E-49E7-A735-F314BFC60250.png

• Like 1