Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will get lost amid the avalanche of posts....scuse the pun. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN FOR ONLY THE SECOND TIME IN 7 AND A BIT YEARS I HAVE A MEASURABLE SNOWFALL!  Only a cm mind but a landmar

Let's just start with the money shot - both the ECM and the GFS agree that, as of Wednesday 12pm, the upper air temperatures will be sitting at -14/-15C over most of Scotland, the wind will be pretty

We had a bit of a struggle to get to the hospital this morning, the bus was 20 mins late and the taxi got fed up waiting and had gone. But we got there and hubby had the op, it's not cancer it's just

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

And to think I thought it would be the likes of @Hairy Celt and @101_North who would be giving me a hard time.  At least I underestimated....if I'd overestimated you might not talk to me ever again! :D However I'm slowly learning that Greenlaw is a bit of a snow magnet!

I've been really lucky this year, that's three lots of snow off west-ish winds. Wait til a properly easterly gets going, I'll be pasted. I've seen the pics (there hasn't been a proper easterly since I moved to the Borders six years ago). It's coming...

• Like 6

Beautiful day.  Heavy snow and twice the normal time to commute in.  (Some dildo was driving at 30mph with 17 cars behind him on the way into Penicuik).  Then glorious sunshine on Princes Street by Waverley and now -7C with powder snow at home.  Lovely :D

• Like 8
12 minutes ago, shuggee said:

Beautiful day.  Heavy snow and twice the normal time to commute in.  (Some scientific analyst was driving at 30mph with 17 cars behind him on the way into Penicuik).  Then glorious sunshine on Princes Street by Waverley and now -7C with powder snow at home.  Lovely :D

Oi. I wrote scientific analyst the other day and it got edited out!! D I L D O for the avoidance of doubt.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I am off work this week with a sore back so I have nothing better to do than look at the models :p

There are plenty of great posts in the model forum (for a change) and stratosphere forum about the upcoming SSW that is soon to take place this week. The polar vortex is about to be split as shown below.

D0542518-B55C-441D-94FD-C325D891A92D.thumb.gif.b635fe74b38392c072b6c104b0bb6b16.gif

The models are already hinting of heights building over Greenland or Scandinavia which could bring a proper beast from the East. Plenty of fun before that though with some decent PM shots coming up.

Very interesting times ahead over the next few weeks I feel :)

Edited by Stormeh
  • Like 5
4 minutes ago, shuggee said:

:oops:

I consider myself suitably pulled-up HC.  Apologies.

:hi:

(But the driver definitely was one!)

:rofl:

Don't apologise! It has always seemed ludicrous to automatically screen a post for some version of publically acceptable vocabulary. Shakespeare would cringe.

1 minute ago, Stormeh said:

I am off work this week with a sore back so I have nothing better to do than look at the models :p

There are plenty of great posts in the model forum (for a change) and stratosphere forum about the upcoming SSW that is soon to take place this week. The polar vortex is about to be split as shown below.

D0542518-B55C-441D-94FD-C325D891A92D.thumb.gif.b635fe74b38392c072b6c104b0bb6b16.gif

The models are already hinting of heights building over Greenland or Scandinavia which could bring a proper beast from the East. Plenty of fun before that though with some decent PM shots coming up.

Very interesting times ahead over the next few weeks I feel :)

Don't give me that easterly worship dog biscuits. Last easterly we had gave me 3 weeks of cool grey skies and utter BOREDOM.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

@Hawesywas spot on if measurements taken this morning however i now have no snow and my total was for Wednesday evening so i await my snow that will be here before the end of tomorrow :closedeyes:

seriously though great predictions again from the snow whisperer  

• Haha 5

Very wintry sunset over the Firth tonight with snow showers peppered round the horizon.Had a couple of nice snow/grauple showers late in the afternoon to add to the dusting and the frost stayed in the shade all day. Currently clear and -2c and the mud is crunching up.

• Like 6

There was about 1cm in Clarkston this morning, 2cm on the Cathkin Braes and 1cm in Hamilton. I think I can see myself taking a longer break from my cycle in the summer than I did today. The view over the city is stunning.

IMG_3608.JPG

Edited by chemikal
photo didn't upload properly
  • Like 9
1 hour ago, edo said:

@Hawesywas spot on if measurements taken this morning however i now have no snow and my total was for Wednesday evening so i await my snow that will be here before the end of tomorrow :closedeyes:

seriously though great predictions again from the snow whisperer  

Hey I just advise how much snowfall you’re going to see accumulating. It’s your responsibility to look after the snow once it’s on the ground. :D

• Haha 8
1 hour ago, Hawesy said:

Hey I just advise how much snowfall you’re going to see accumulating. It’s your responsibility to look after the snow once it’s on the ground. :D

:rofl: im gonna need a sun shield 

charts still shaping up nicely but as per this winter......  west may well be best.... 

lets hope the SSW does lead to something decent 

• Like 1

A stunning -13C driving through Broughton in the Borders this morning.  A good half hour's drive with the temp always below -10C.

Even -4C in Leith by the water.

:cold::cold:

• Like 2