Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms

Aarrghhh why is living in Scotland so unfair blue skies and 7c almost  spring like :D

Then i look in on the south east thread and it's all about snow.and in a few months it will be all about heatwaves droughts severe  thunder storms  .

Catch i wouldn't bother about Italy  just go down sarf and buy yourself a 1 bedroom ex council house for your 1.7 mill and enjoy all the weather extremes :nonono:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Very pleasant sunny day today. Glasgow looks fantastically pretty with the relatively low winter sun, but now higher in the sky than 4/5 weeks ago.

You'd never think we were about to have to 'brace' ourselves, but as part of the UK it seems we might... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42938170

Seriously, that article is a riddy. Plunging to -7c. Yes, cold, but not unusual. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I could live in that wee room... always wanted to live in a lighthouse :rofl:

Edited by mardatha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

Had a lovely day  in  girvan today temps was a pleasant 7c and spring like  but once you get up here  it droped to 3c in just a 30min drive certanly not spring like here baltic more like and the temps have already droped to -3c roll on spring i say

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Stormeh said:

This is what the latest euro4 and ARPEGE think of tomorrow nights front.

C70B3003-937F-4C49-9E50-E7C3BA08A81D.thumb.gif.e01db64b2ade7a6bef229d681ff313d4.gif

7F83E91B-9C85-43E8-B477-F8D046056000.thumb.gif.2e90edddaeb464e16ee0b2a68f7ee66a.gif

76601FCE-AB8D-4F2D-BEA7-774CF849F6ED.thumb.jpeg.076aeabd237691192944f9a056d47d36.jpeg

10DD0709-749B-4828-9687-BE56620E9111.thumb.jpeg.9e8d99bc8ce126188967a9073dadd457.jpeg

516ADCCB-94EC-451C-8B1A-37F48CC2D0BA.thumb.jpeg.c97b23a9c1334725260709fe66a60f0e.jpegA9F49221-DAFF-4B05-A557-7D6C2C984D18.thumb.jpeg.edc6cd5f99cccb54a820c83baa92424f.jpeg

Looks like most of us will wake up on Tuesday morning to at least a couple of cm of snow :) 

Looking ahead, the early hours of Friday look interesting with the possibility of more snow across most of Scotland.

18F8F09F-4584-478B-AC7A-3C8BD602FA75.thumb.png.aa4868bd901a8be191157f087080efa0.png

06815368-AD39-459E-8FB9-B1B2364AC55C.thumb.png.a13cc279e60c53eab241e6e9aedc77b1.png

It’s certainly an interesting week coming up, nothing like we had a few weeks back but it beats having boring wet and windy rubbish. As we look further ahead the models are looking interesting, keeping it mostly cold with more snow potential :)

In my opinion this has been the best winter since 2010 and it’s far from over! :smile:

That’s made my night, love these cold sleety p*shy events. See living at the coast has its benefits lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms
1 hour ago, ciel said:

It was such a fine day, took myself off to the Fife coast for a change. With no wind chill it felt nae caulde. The temp hovered around 7C-8C.

Pottered around Crail for a while:-

room.thumb.jpg.0e1c02a24fedb653e3b0379b58a2edf2.jpg Room with a view/vertigo

Then moved on to Kingsbarns for a walk along the coastal path and a tasty snack at the Cheese Toasty Shack.

On way home the temp dropped sharply around 16.30, from 7C to 2C over a distance of 4miles or so. It's going to be a chilly night, I think.

That wee room is exactly the place that I would stick the nuggets on the mod thread in until winter is over :wallbash:

Posted
1 hour ago, mardatha said:

I could live in that wee room... always wanted to live in a lighthouse :rofl:

Actually, on a serious note, M, I caught acrophobia around 20yrs ago when undertaking a minor hill walk ( I am not a mountaineer) that went completely off course due to local land slips. Ended up on a track which was one footspan wide with a serious cliff drop on one side and a bare high cliff on the other.  I can still hear the fossil hunter down on the river bed tinkling way with his hammer.:shok: For me, stuff of nightmares.

And the moral is. :rolleyes: ....always prepare for the unexpected when walking in Scotland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I'm the opposite ciel - I need space and clear ground around me or I feel edgy. I can't go into thick forest, that would turn me into a gibbering mess lol

Posted

For anyone wanting a cracking insight into the upcoming few weeks, and some great explanations in regards to the upcoming SSW and MJO phases, pop over to the Model Thread (I know, I know, I took the plunge) and read the posts from @chionomaniac and @Catacol. I think they start around page 50,51 and over to page 52. Absolutely cracking explanations and for the first time in a long time, some great reading in the Model Thread. 

Also our very own @lorenzo has put some cracking posts in the strat thread lately aswell for anyone wanting to learn some more. 

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow
10 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

For anyone wanting a cracking insight into the upcoming few weeks, and some great explanations in regards to the upcoming SSW and MJO phases, pop over to the Model Thread (I know, I know, I took the plunge) and read the posts from @chionomaniac and @Catacol. I think they start around page 50,51 and over to page 52. Absolutely cracking explanations and for the first time in a long time, some great reading in the Model Thread. 

Also our very own @lorenzo has put some cracking posts in the strat thread lately aswell for anyone wanting to learn some more. 

Yes I was reading through them earlier, very great posts and explained very well. Great post from you also!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Some lucky punter will wake up tomorrow morning with 10cm of snow, most of us will get 3cm and a few of us will get nothing. Toys on standby :)

In the meantime it's -2C with thick freezing fog here. Lovely start to what should be a decent couple of winter days.

I lost all of my toys in Crail, years ago. :D

Will try and get the predictions table done at lunchtime.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow
25 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

I lost all of my toys in Crail, years ago. :D

Will try and get the predictions table done at lunchtime.

I’ll help you with mine Hawsey...

S.F.A ....... and that’s nothing to do with football!

Its Winter Helensburgh style.:nonono:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Toys on standby, check. Coastal effect, check. Good old-fashioned gripe, check. 

Gosh it's gone bloody cold again! The car's in defrost mode while I finish my tea... 

Posted

Wow! The 'coldest UK week of the winter' has started with a bang here! +1c, cloudy sky and not so much as a hint of frost! Could be a rough week out there!

• Like 4

Posted
23 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Toybrellas on standby for a good old @101_North rant by this time tomorrow.

Come on now Mr Catch! I've read the papers! Coldest week of winter they say! The sub-headline in the Express mentions "bone-chilling sleet"!! The Met Office have a warning out! 1cm of snow possible widely! And predicted overnight temps for the Currie area of +1c! That could cause absolute carnage on the wee path, between the fences, down to the kids school tomorrow morning! What could possibly go wrong:rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
56 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Come on now Mr Catch! I've read the papers! Coldest week of winter they say! The sub-headline in the Express mentions "bone-chilling sleet"!! The Met Office have a warning out! 1cm of snow possible widely! And predicted overnight temps for the Currie area of +1c! That could cause absolute carnage on the wee path, between the fences, down to the kids school tomorrow morning! What could possibly go wrong:rofl:

Mine is an extra large!    I'm ready for the onslaught!:D (of 101's TOORPING that is!)

ja3YD0dWSUm1._UX300_TTW__.jpg

Edited by Blitzen