Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

30 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

THUNDERSNOW!!!!!

YAAAAAAS!!!!!

It made its way along to Clarkston. 

Showers started to stick in Bridgeton (1 mile east of the city centre) around 2pm. Left the office at 3pm and it was a dusting with around 2-3 inches at home. Traffic already backing up at Polmadie as people were trying to get onto the M74.  

Any side roads with an incline were causing problems for the parents on the school run. Saw a guy slide sideways toward a lamppost when he was trying to do a 180 turn outside a primary school:nea:

Should be an interesting evening for many and hopefully that includes those who haven’t had much so far this winter!? 

6C804A9E-2459-4BD2-8098-79A6FB9F9EB4.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will get lost amid the avalanche of posts....scuse the pun. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN FOR ONLY THE SECOND TIME IN 7 AND A BIT YEARS I HAVE A MEASURABLE SNOWFALL!  Only a cm mind but a landmar

Let's just start with the money shot - both the ECM and the GFS agree that, as of Wednesday 12pm, the upper air temperatures will be sitting at -14/-15C over most of Scotland, the wind will be pretty

We had a bit of a struggle to get to the hospital this morning, the bus was 20 mins late and the taxi got fed up waiting and had gone. But we got there and hubby had the op, it's not cancer it's just

Posted Images

Looks like the run home is going to be fun. Showers really ramping up now. 

Wife works in Kilmarnock and reports the Killie snow shield was obliterated this afternoon. 

Reports of thundersnow at home too.

• Like 1

Was a good few heavy showers in town today but nothing to write home about, however by after 3pm it was starting to stay on longer and get heavier. Decided to leave at 4pm to get on the road before the chaos started. The road was very slippy so I had a few hills to contend with on the way home. Managed to get in and it was absolutely piling it down. Then just as I was standing in kitchen on phone, seen a flash, woohoo thundersnow, never really heard the thunder so must have been a bit away. Hopefully more to come as sky is absolutely black.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, JamesM said:

Looks like the run home is going to be fun. Showers really ramping up now. 

Wife works in Kilmarnock and reports the Killie snow shield was obliterated this afternoon. 

Reports of thundersnow at home too.

I volunteered to work from home the day so I could drive Mrs SS around in the snaw.

:diablo:

#weatherproofs

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
22 minutes ago, mardatha said:

We've got 7 inches here and just had another heavy fall. The A7 has gone very quiet so not sure if it's open or not - maybe queues up at Middleton moor. All neighbours who work are home early and cooried in, and it feels like xmas :D

Shuggee - not very handy taking the buses off the Penecuik route, all the Peebles folk at work in Embra now will be stuck there!

Right! I phoned I to work from at home at 06:45. Soooo pleased i did - the main roads are skating rinks with cars crawling past, the few cars that are out that is. What a day.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

Good luck!! :)

might not get home.... much as we laugh at others not coping in snow... i have been 30 mins in car and went a mile and we only have about 3cm 

Edited by edo
  • Like 3

According to Traffic Scotland no point in going anywhere near the M74, or anywhere for that matter:

https://twitter.com/trafficscotland

http://trafficscotland.org/index.aspx

Police Scotland are advising drivers that there is a HIGH RISK OF DISRUPTION FOR ROAD JOURNEYS in the Dumfries and Galloway, Scottish Borders, West Lothian, Falkirk, South Ayrshire, East Ayrshire, South lanarkshire, East Renfrewshire, North Lanarkshire, and Glasgow areas. If you do travel, you are likely to experience significant delays.

Edited by grifter
  • Like 1

The snow is lying in grass surfaces here, everywhere else is slush. Not had anything heavy since this afternoon. Actually so far isn’t as good as the snowfall just after Xmas. Lucky if it’s 2cm here and even on side roads it’s turned to slag. At no stage has it been heavy enough for long enough.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Getting pummelled here. Wasn't expecting this at all. Radar looks full to the west so a long evening ahead. It should be a decent drive home at midnight.

20180116_175402.thumb.jpg.946ad522027d96b67a73f937dbb1d6c5.jpg

Edited by CatchMyDrift
  • Like 2

Incredible drive home from work, first time driving in snow since passing test. After that drive can't believe I am saying this but I think I have went off the idea of snow! Never been so nervous. Main roads at Rutherglen at standstill during which 3/4cm snow must have feel in around 15mins. Car now officially abandoned outside Castlemilk. I am right in saying worst still to come?

Edited by Bullseye