Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Baltic
8 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

It's the folk who get reliable snow in winter as well as reliable heat and sun in summer that we're jealous of. Alps - French, Swiss, Austrian, Italian. Bloody EU, stealing the best weather.

Dunbar seemingly the sunniest place in scotland, whilst aviemore has most snow, I'd settle for somewhere in between, pitlochry maybe? Best of both worlds, best seasons? Travel distance to both ?

• Like 2

Posted

I love Scotland, the weather is beautiful, the scenery amazing - my great grandad grew up in the Highlands so I agree it is lovely.

I just don't get the need for digs at each other. And yes, I know that's what I did coming on and commenting in "your" thread, but the digs at other areas are uncalled for. No wonder the world is going to pot if we can't play nice on a forum created for people to share their love of the weather.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Overnight thunderstorms and heat you say? I was in Aviemore near the Cairngorms in July 2016 and the weather was beautiful and sunny all week with temps between 22-27c then come nighttime we got this....

2EC86D43-B236-4083-AD7A-351996771552.thumb.jpeg.ccafdd415aaa84431e6a955fe07600c7.jpeg

A62479C0-BDE0-4763-9368-53B1C915D747.thumb.jpeg.1e4c5cd68469628062d7ef951f646e2e.jpeg

65C4BF98-A9BD-4677-BFAC-E4E895879115.thumb.jpeg.97fdd967fa4dad091ad3ed3c4bb7af29.jpeg

Constant thunder and lightning through the night. It’s not always wet and boring in the summer in Scotland. We get the heat and storms also, obviously not as much as down south but we do get it at some point during the summer.

Anyway, moving on...

With snow a good possibility here again this week for Scotland I wonder if Hawesy will be doing his prediction for snowfall totals again :D

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Baltic
5 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

I love Scotland, the weather is beautiful, the scenery amazing - my great grandad grew up in the Highlands so I agree it is lovely.

I just don't get the need for digs at each other. And yes, I know that's what I did coming on and commenting in "your" thread, but the digs at other areas are uncalled for. No wonder the world is going to pot if we can't play nice on a forum created for people to share their love of the weather.

Sorry but I love the competition and find "digs" just part of the fun, it's not personal, it's not malicious, it's weather. Peace 

• Like 3

Posted
4 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

And quite different to recent winters too, which for me at home have been pretty dull affairs.  Farmers though are not enjoying it!

Yes its the consistency of damp weather since last July that is so unusual for the inner Moray Firth area even in your area there is still straw to bale after last harvest and a lot of winter ploughing has not even started.Losses among wintering sheep have also been high from pneumonia as although sheep can tolerate a lot of bad weather never drying out their fleeces  occasionally at all is bad for them. Giving pneumonia vaccination to our calves has been money well spent this past autumn.

Being a bit of a weather geek since 2009/10 we have started ploughing a month earlier at the end of October so are up to date with all muck spread too and ploughed in .However I think a late spring beckons again and the fact that there are minimal machines/labour on farms is going to put a lot of pressure on.

Its goiing to take a serious amount of dry weather to allow us back onto the fields.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Not having a go at any particular person but I am finding the behaviour of a few of my fellow Scots embarrassing in here. There seems to be a growing contingent who seem to be obsessed with daily digs regarding anything Weather related against the South East of England and then we have some folk who announce they are going into the Model Output Discussion Thread to cause carnage? (We are all older than 12 years old here, right?) It is not banter when there is a constant undercurrent of it going on in here.

It is all getting a bit tedious and I really do cringe reading this thread sometimes.

Can we not just focus on making this thread a great hub of all things weather and general chit chat and cut out all the pish as stated above? 

I really do enjoy coming in here to see all the pictures posted from all over Scotland and the conversations most of the time are fantastic - I appreciate everyone of you as I have never told my family, girlfriend or my friends just how bad my obsession with the weather is so this is my gateway to indulge with like minded people. 

Have a good Sunday and hopefully this thread will be buzzing again with snow reports for the rest of Febuary and beyond! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

MrFrost, it's just how Scots & English are with each other and has always been that way, not just in weather forums. They get a wee dig at us and we give a wee dig back. I've never been into the Model forum, my BP is high enough as it is and couldn't stand it :rofl:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Morning all,

Another cloudy start and I think sunshine will be at a premium today. 2c. Amazing the difference being on the east coast makes. Listening to @Northernlights descriptions of saturated fields, it’s been nothing like that over here this winter. Looking at the Leuchars figures there have only been 4 days where 5mm or more rainfall has been recorded since December 1st. My main impression of this winter locally is not of wet or wintry weather but of it being relatively dry with some good spells of sunshine!

Holding off on the snow predictions for now, if it’s a general 1-3cm the challenge isn’t quite the same as last months set-ups! :D

• Like 5

Posted

I don't think there is any real malice Mr Frost, generally this thread is a warm, welcoming, engaging, and light hearted read.

The niggling comes from frustration. As Rav pointed out well, the model thread spends a great deal of time obsessing over the S.E snow prospects, which they are obviously free to do, but it means a great deal of useful commentary for people further north is a lot of the time non-existent, which is even more a shame given that this is where the best of winter happens (most of the time).

Yes some people can be infantile but if some are 12 in here then certain people in the model thread are still at nursery. Adults arguing over whether it will snow and PM'ing others abuse at times over their interpretation of some data? W T actual F, it's no wonder people poke fun in here. I only really go in there for the niche chuckles it provides, there are some great posters in the MT, it's just a pity it's so often lost among lots and lots of mince. No need to hide your weather love from your family dude, it's not a daniel o'donnell album, all my family know I love snow, embrace it ?

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Morning all. Heartening to find sensible and interesting comments this morning. Cold and grey this morning but seems to be clearing, which would be great after yesterday's perpetual greyness. Could be the day to spray the fruit trees with their oily winter wash.... 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Daniel o donnel :rofl:

everyone needs to calm the you know what down

you have to laugh at the nonsense not get upset by it 

Of course the Scotland/England stuff is just banter... im sure we all work or live with or even love English people.... the friendly rivalry has lasted a long time and will go on forever

i dont like it when nationalism takes it beyond fun but i dont see any evidence of that here

chill everyone..... hopefully literally 

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Hawesy said:

Morning all,

Another cloudy start and I think sunshine will be at a premium today. 2c.

No sooner had I typed that than the Sun came out and it’s now splitting the sky. What do I know? :rofl:

• Like 2

Posted

When I post in here moaning about  the bias towards the SE in the model forum it’s due to frustration that not being able to see much discussion for northern areas. I understand that the SE has a large population but many people from there are getting away with posting nonsense. As people have said it’s all banter as that’s what us Scots are good at. I love England and have been going to the south coast on holiday for the last few years, so many beautiful places to visit. I know the admins have a hard time keeping the forum under control especially when the models are showing a potential for cold weather. Mr Frost, don’t hide your obsession with the weather mate, the weather is a great thing to be obsessed by. All my family know that I do and my sister even made me a tornado cake for my 30th birthday, I will try find a picture it’s pretty cool haha :D

Anyway enough moaning from me, let’s get back to talking about the potential for tomorrow. As Catch has said, there is a good chance of everyone seeing the white stuff tomorrow :) 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Appreciate all the comments and points of view - all duly noted.

I have posted quite a few times over the years in the Model Output Discussion Thread and never had any problems - just a quick screenshot of a snow event for us and brief description saying something along the lines of snow on this day for Scotland usually does the trick for me, never had any negative comments or problems. I enjoy popping in there for a read everyday as I love to know what weather pattern/type may be expected two weeks away and beyond! If there is no mention of Scotland it does not annoy me one bit as I can quickly scan through all charts available myself and get a feel for what is expected plus always look in here to see what is going on all over Scotland. 

My favourite season of the year is Winter but closely followed by Summer as I also love heat and thunderstorms. (a rare occurrence here apart from maybe 15 days a year. :rofl:

With regards to my earlier comment about not really making it known about my love of weather to all in life - everyone knows I like it (I have a four seasons theme full sleeve tattoo and announce to everyone any impending exciting weather on a regular basis!) but they don’t know I am active on a weather forum or that I would happily go wild camping on top of a freezing/snowy mountain for the rest of Winter or as long as the snow stays for! :D 

Basically what I need to do is leave my family, girlfriend and friends behind every Winter, travel to Lapland and fall in love with a Scandinavian beauty (better for accommodation purpose) so I can indulge in all things Winter/Snow then repeat all this in Summer except travel to Miami and fall in love with any lady there so I can indulge in all things Summer/Thunderstorms! :rofl:

Spring and Autumn back in Scotland obviously. :D

• Like 6

Posted

It's actually nice that the majority of people are all on the same page, everyone knows the Model Thread has became quite crap this year with the more SE bias etc, and to be fair, it is understandable that when you are so snow starved that you can't help but talk about the imby point of view when there is potential, but it's when there's less potential down there and loads up here and everyone over there goes on about winter's over rubbish, that's what causes the most frustration because I personally would like to hear the more learned from the Model Thread discuss our potential at times the way they go into depth about SE potential when it's showing. It's not like we'll lose sleep over it, I really don't take it serious at all, it's just that the Model Thread is becoming more tedious and less enjoyable and as a result most northerners can't really be arsed with sifting through it all. But I'm sure we won't cry over it anyway.(even though I have taken a few huffs about it ???)

As for the banter, I echo what most above have said, it's purely all friendly banter, well at least for us it is anyway, not the few over in the MT that have personal digs and pm each other and all that, but from our point of view, I'm sure we'd all quite happily sit in a pub down the south of England and swap stories about the weather, the banter is all jovial and a bit of fun. If anyone in here was nationalist or racist or anything close to that then I'm sure they'd soon see themselves ousted. 

I'm also sure that @lottiekent was only in posting for some friendly banter, no malice, no harm, just a bit of fun and everyone is always welcome in here. And hopefully they can get a good bit of wintery weather over the next few weeks like us up here have had. He also mentioned about his family member growing up in the highlands, just as many of us have English family members. 

No-one should take anything weather related personally, at the end of the day the only reason everyone is on here is because we're all fascinated by the weather, mostly winter weather. 

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Appreciate all the comments and points of view - all duly noted.

I have posted quite a few times over the years in the Model Output Discussion Thread and never had any problems - just a quick screenshot of a snow event for us and brief description saying something along the lines of snow on this day for Scotland usually does the trick for me, never had any negative comments or problems. I enjoy popping in there for a read everyday as I love to know what weather pattern/type may be expected two weeks away and beyond! If there is no mention of Scotland it does not annoy me one bit as I can quickly scan through all charts available myself and get a feel for what is expected plus always look in here to see what is going on all over Scotland. 

My favourite season of the year is Winter but closely followed by Summer as I also love heat and thunderstorms. (a rare occurrence here apart from maybe 15 days a year. :rofl:

With regards to my earlier comment about not really making it known about my love of weather to all in life - everyone knows I like it (I have a four seasons theme full sleeve tattoo and announce to everyone any impending exciting weather on a regular basis!) but they don’t know I am active on a weather forum or that I would happily go wild camping on top of a freezing/snowy mountain for the rest of Winter or as long as the snow stays for! :D 

Basically what I need to do is leave my family, girlfriend and friends behind every Winter, travel to Lapland and fall in love with a Scandinavian beauty (better for accommodation purpose) so I can indulge in all things Winter/Snow then repeat all this in Summer except travel to Miami and fall in love with any lady there so I can indulge in all things Summer/Thunderstorms! :rofl:

Spring and Autumn back in Scotland obviously. :D

I think you should just make it known to her mate. Not saying to go out your way and sit her down to have a serious discussion about it. Just when you're on the forum and she asks what you're doing, just say 'aw it's a just a weather forum thing I'm looking at' and aye no doubt she'll do what my gf did and laugh and call me a geek or whatever but I very much doubt she'll worry about it, as there's plenty other things online that she'd rather you didn't look at ??? 

you have to have different hobbies from your gf, it's not possible to like all the same things or anything like that. In fairness, me and my gf are pretty close to liking all the same things, we both love cars and fast driving, she works at supercars events once a month, she plays Fifa with me on the PS4 and we both like going to the gym etc but the fact I'm on here makes literally no difference to her, and I'm sure your gf will be exactly the same. 

We'll get a petition going for you to tell her ??

• Like 3

Posted
30 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

It's actually nice that the majority of people are all on the same page, everyone knows the Model Thread has became quite crap this year with the more SE bias etc, and to be fair, it is understandable that when you are so snow starved that you can't help but talk about the imby point of view when there is potential, but it's when there's less potential down there and loads up here and everyone over there goes on about winter's over rubbish, that's what causes the most frustration because I personally would like to hear the more learned from the Model Thread discuss our potential at times the way they go into depth about SE potential when it's showing.

I have all but given up perusing the MOD thread, unless one or two particular posters are flagged up. The short range model discussion thread is far more informative and interesting, but then my bias is more towards understanding what drives the weather rather than hunting for any special type of weather scenario.

Edit: I do acknowledge that short and medium range forecasts are important to those who rely on a specific weather type for planning purposes  or for livelihood, or leisure activities.

Edited by ciel
  • Like 1

Posted

Latest euro4 for tomorrow night into Tuesday...

69F3D70A-2B93-4EEC-AC27-049936FAF5CE.thumb.gif.d22a66a0dbf7fe37c6bf57b59cecb9b6.gif

110159F9-42CA-408F-B3AE-CEF0E5CD5EA3.thumb.gif.b162a68fd1726e76d4f173001d333ef9.gif

I still think it will come down to nowcasting so keep an eye on the radar tomorrow night folk. Maybe the front will slow down as it moves inland against the cold air and give us a good dumping :)

• Like 3

Posted

Now this is interesting - below average temperatures Febuary and maybe March on the way and mention of a major SSW from the Metoffice. 

We could be in for a classic late Winter/early Spring cold spell! (probably jinxed it by saying that! :))

Snow in the early hours of Boxing Day here which stayed on the ground and included a decent top up on 29/12/2017. (sadly all melted the next day but was great to have snow falling/laying during the festive season) 

Late on the 15/01/2018 extremely heavy snow showers move in and fall all day on the 16/01/2018 which is up there with the greatest Winter days of all time for me and many others! All this stays on the ground varying from 4 to 6 inches throughout that week and ends on 21/01/2018 with a full four hours of constant heavy snow. 

It really has been fantastic for most of us on here and with the screenshots attached below it is going to continue for a long while yet! :yahoo:

Cheers! 

5326B30C-720F-4916-8437-B6AC062110C2.png

4CD1BAD2-56CD-41B4-8734-59608129FA01.png

99770AD5-8100-4DA2-A8D7-74EC50C99360.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

My plan is to win the lottery and move to Italy. One house by the lake in the foothills of the mountains for summer heat and thunderstorms and another high up in the Alps for winter. I only need about £1.7million and I'll be good to go.

Perhaps we should all put in what we each think we can afford, see how much we get, and either buy a chalet in the Alps... or a derelict beach hut in Skeggy!

Back to reality - I'm seeing some very low overnight minima forecast for here the coming week - down to at least er... -2C. And very little rain apart from Friday morning.

• Like 3