Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow
37 minutes ago, igloo said:

What do they say about march in like a lion out like a lamb march 2013 if my memory serves me right was the coldest for 100 years i had 7ft drifts for 3 weeks with arran near oblituated

Best snowfall for me for a long, long time was in March 2006.... was it the 12th/13th?..... a ridiculous amount of snow fell..... took me back to the 80s and some of the classics!!:cold:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.
6 hours ago, Northern Strath said:

Aye and even March can be properly in the freezer, March 05 was memorable when I was commuting back and forth to Kincraig for weeks, often -18c for the journey, warming up to a max of -5c, Sun? what sun??

March 2013. That is all. :cold:

• Like 2

Posted
57 minutes ago, igloo said:

What do they say about march in like a lion out like a lamb march 2013 if my memory serves me right was the coldest for 100 years i had 7ft drifts for 3 weeks with arran near oblituated

Aye that was something else, surely one of the most dramatic snowstorms to hit Scotland in recent years.. was camping on Arran last year and chatting with a local about it, craziest snow in their memory, not nice if you don't like getting cut-off for days, bliss if you do!

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, Ravelin said:

Wet and blowing a hoolie up in the NE corner of Aberdeenshire. 

Yep, I was up in Peterhead this morning. Squally, heavy sleet/rain showers were the order of the day, there and back. 

To make matters worse, had a close call with three deer near Bridge of Dye and an even closer one with half a dozen or so red-legs which decided to scarper across the carriageway.

Still a howling gale back home and rain is battering down.

Can't wait for green shoots of spring :D

• Like 1

was living at 300m in the Peak District in March 2013 it was epic we still had snow drifts blocking roads well into April  3 day blizzard that just kept going and going.

Posted

Snowdrops in the snow right now, but soon buried:

537610fd-e4a0-43d8-857e-578d79b274b81.png.1bdfdf601d88d56a6fb2445f04b219c2.png

Apologies for you lovelies north of the Central Belt. I don't have access to decent projections showing all of Scotland.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms

Maybe a question  for the slightly more seasoned people on this forum. 

One of the biggest snowfalls I've witnessed  was in march either 86or 87 I'll always remember it for 2 reasons  1. It started  snowing on the Saturday the day after the townsend torresen ferry sunk off zeebrugge 2.after almost 24 hrs of snow it turned to drizzle and with the wet snow on all the trees i remember standing at the back door of my uncles house and listening to all the branches and trees snapping every other minute  unbelievable I've never witnessed anything like it since. 

I was just wondering if this may have been just a local micro climate event or a more widespread event my memory is getting a bit cloudy 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow
9 minutes ago, shuggee said:

Snowdrops in the snow right now, but soon buried:

537610fd-e4a0-43d8-857e-578d79b274b81.png.1bdfdf601d88d56a6fb2445f04b219c2.png

Apologies for you lovelies north of the Central Belt. I don't have access to decent projections showing all of Scotland.

0E838C11-A1B2-4BF0-89C5-F8F122EEDEDD.thumb.png.f3613f2b61e74ad57350a625da20fb40.png

:D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

well that's 15 mins of my life I'm never getting from the MOD thread..almost 4 pages of the same few posters arguing over how much snow and where it will fall in 5 days time, that place is unbelievable they spend all their time fighting over will it get cold will there be an easterly etc and then when one is on the doorstep they bicker about the amount of snow. at least nobody has said the uppers are marginal yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
15 minutes ago, biggreyface said:

Maybe a question  for the slightly more seasoned people on this forum. 

One of the biggest snowfalls I've witnessed  was in march either 86or 87 I'll always remember it for 2 reasons  1. It started  snowing on the Saturday the day after the townsend torresen ferry sunk off zeebrugge 2.after almost 24 hrs of snow it turned to drizzle and with the wet snow on all the trees i remember standing at the back door of my uncles house and listening to all the branches and trees snapping every other minute  unbelievable I've never witnessed anything like it since. 

I was just wondering if this may have been just a local micro climate event or a more widespread event my memory is getting a bit cloudy 

I was in the English Midlands then and I remember a Saturday late that winter when we got hammered by a severe snowfall - unusually cold and fierce, but I don't remember how it ended. 

I do remember going out in it under the influence of some hallucinogenic substance and being completely entranced by the beauty of the flakes. 'Oh, man...'

Should have said, that was February or probably March 86.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
1 hour ago, More Snow said:

well that's 15 mins of my life I'm never getting from the MOD thread..almost 4 pages of the same few posters arguing over how much snow and where it will fall in 5 days time, that place is unbelievable they spend all their time fighting over will it get cold will there be an easterly etc and then when one is on the doorstep they bicker about the amount of snow. at least nobody has said the uppers are marginal yet.

your becoming obsessed with their obsession.... you need to step away from the thread i repeat step away from the model thread :pardon:..... if i didnt love snow so much id be praying this disappears just to watch the carnage but as @Polar Gaelsays this is beginning to look like a proper cold spell

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Polar Gael said:

Oooooffffttt! Looking at the charts this evening and it's a veritable snaw & cauldfest from Fri/Sat right through to the realms of Formula One - and even in Lala land, it's only struggling to prog average/near average temps at best. A steadily repeating pattern this winter. The mild days have been few and far between. Ice days ahoy and a fair few whumphings on the way for many of us kilters. Winter 2017-18 is stealthily edging its way to being one of the more notable efforts of recent years. Could yet become memorable. 

'Mon the snaw! 

Interestingly both December and January have ended up unremarkable temperature-wise around Scotland, generally within a degree or less either side of the long term average. Which goes to show you don’t need huge temperature anomalies to provide interest, there’s been snow even at low levels in generally unsnowy places without it being notably cold overall!

Im slightly suspicious of the model output at the moment I have to say. I don’t look at the model thread this is purely based on my own experience of casual model watching over the years (that’s weather models, folks)....somehow it doesn’t look right. Pressure looks to be quite high from Sunday onwards...I would expect it to be cold but mainly dry for the first half of next week for eastern Scotland. Beyond that, who knows!

Im not being negative about the prospects for cold and snow I just don’t think things will pan out in the way the models are showing right now....having had only a partial dusting of snow here in the Ferry I’d like to think we’re in for a decent snowfall (by that I mean 1-3 cms, it’s all relative, I mean  @Northern Strath wouldn’t even open his curtains for such a meagre amount :D) in the next 7 days I’m just.....wary!

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
18 minutes ago, More Snow said:

Dare I pop in there and mention the News 24 BBC forecast said milder weather looks set to win later next week into the weekend??

:Ddouble dare you

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

BIGGREYFACE:

HC was admittedly hallucinating! in '86  and if he can't remember it was '87 he was probably hallucinating then too!:D

The reason I remember is because a friend of ours in Deal. Kent worked as a steward on the boats.   It was the Herald that sank that night and he was on the Pride..   Really tragic.

Anyway, I was watching it on tv the next day when my friend came in with her newborn in the pram.   Don't think she would be pushing a pram around in snow somehow?  Perhaps it was more localised?

MS Herald of Free Enterprise was a roll-on/roll-off (RORO) ferry which capsized moments after leaving the Belgian port of Zeebrugge on the night of 6 March 1987, killing 193 passengers and crew.
Operator‎: ‎Townsend Thoresen‎ (1980–1987)
Fate‎: ‎Capsized 6 March 1987; Raised April 19...
Tonnage‎: ‎13,601 brt
Owner‎: ‎Townsend Thoresen‎ (1980–1987); Co...

Edited by Blitzen
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Relocated the office from Bridgeton to Hamilton this week. Knackered! I’ve now got a 20 mile cycling round trip instead of 10. I have to say it is more scenic and I have multiple routes to choose from. First day was via East Kilbride and today was via the Cathrin Braes near the single wind turbine overlooking the city. 

Yesterday was my first day in Hamilton and it was one I will remember by being treated with thunder snow. My brother decided it would be good idea to go outside. ⚡️❄️

Looking forward to interesting snowy commutes or days working from home in the coming weeks. ?

EC912964-E334-4E6B-8A37-2D7049688804.jpeg

FFB7B8CA-B584-42F7-8B3B-23E0D5EC85C8.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.
1 hour ago, Hawesy said:

Interestingly both December and January have ended up unremarkable temperature-wise around Scotland, generally within a degree or less either side of the long term average. Which goes to show you don’t need huge temperature anomalies to provide interest, there’s been snow even at low levels in generally unsnowy places without it being notably cold overall!

Im slightly suspicious of the model output at the moment I have to say. I don’t look at the model thread this is purely based on my own experience of casual model watching over the years (that’s weather models, folks)....somehow it doesn’t look right. Pressure looks to be quite high from Sunday onwards...I would expect it to be cold but mainly dry for the first half of next week for eastern Scotland. Beyond that, who knows!

Im not being negative about the prospects for cold and snow I just don’t think things will pan out in the way the models are showing right now....having had only a partial dusting of snow here in the Ferry I’d like to think we’re in for a decent snowfall (by that I mean 1-3 cms, it’s all relative, I mean  @Northern Strath wouldn’t even open his curtains for such a meagre amount :D) in the next 7 days I’m just.....wary!

Does this mean you won't be producing another of the highlights of this stealth winter: the @Hawesybespoke Kilted snawdepth predictor table?

And if not, does this mean we have to invoke the Kilted Snawdepth Pools Panel* to decide the results? 

:blink2:

*For younger viewers, back in the day, this was an invention (a bunch of blokes of the great and the good) to decide the Saturday fitba scores (when matches were postponed due to 'proper weather') in order to figure out whether anyone had won the pools jackpot. The pools were like Lotto, but involved much more complicated mental arithmetic, lesser prize money and the 1970s and were also reliant on nearly all the fitba matches being scheduled to kick off at 3pm on Saturday.

I know, who'd ever indulge such madness now, eh?!

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, Polar Gael said:

Does this mean you won't be producing another of the highlights of this stealth winter: the @Hawesybespoke Kilted snawdepth predictor table?

And if not, does this mean we have to invoke the Kilted Snawdepth Pools Panel* to decide the results? 

:blink2:

:D Don’t worry, if there’s a widespread snow event on the cards I’ll be up for making a fool of myself again and putting out my random guesses carefully considered predictions! Having said that I like the Pools Panel idea...:D

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

ECM looks great for cold and snow potential over the next week. Hard to tell how much snow will fall and where just now. Hopefully we all see a good dumping before the end of this decent winter :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Things are looking a bit tasty for us snow lovers next  week! Cmon February let it be a wee belter. 

Im going to be scared to check the charts now in case things change ?

• Like 3

Posted

Nice morning.  Sunny, temp5C and a slight breeze from the north. A few birds twittering and a lark has been singing.

Decisions, decisions. Should I roll my sleeves up and do a spot of gardening this afternoon, have a leisurely couple of hours at SWT Montrose or Balgavies or take doggie for a long walk?

Suppose I may have to batten down the hatches in a few days time. :)

Posted
43 minutes ago, More Snow said:

when the snow is falling from the sky I shall believe, until then I'm not getting excited..

And not melting when it hits the ground!