Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

Yes another very wet night ground will be waterlogged again not at all like last winters dry weather. Have to say that reading through various farming magazines in the last few months agriculture  especially in the west of Scotland is under severe threat from this wet weather and I think in another fifty years time will be severely reduced if not non existant over large parts of Scotland.  Currently breezy clear and 3.5c.

• Sad 1

After a dreadful, dark, dismal weekend defined by heavy rain (lots and lots  of rain) It was a relief to see it snowing instead this morning 

• Like 4

What a wet and miserable weekend. Are we still on for the longest to hold on to the last snaw???

WP_20180127_21_10_37_Pro.thumb.jpg.1aa1a97b6f512c71abcb339408ec1967.jpg :rofl:

what a gorgeous picture @Cheggers :rofl:

hee haw here since last Thursday 

i take it wednesdays potential snaw not looking too impressive as nowt being said 

will go take a look 

26 minutes ago, edo said:

what a gorgeous picture @Cheggers :rofl:

hee haw here since last Thursday 

i take it wednesdays potential snaw not looking too impressive as nowt being said 

will go take a look 

Was just having a look there, looks very marginal to say the least. 

The GFS has a band of heavy rain sweeping through but turning to snow for a few hours as it departs and then some wintery showers thereafter but anything up til 6am on Wednesday morning looks the wrong side marginal without decent elevation. The main band of precipitation has pretty much dropped most of its load by 6am so possibly some heavy snow back edge of the band with some elevation and then wintery showers thereafter, mostly of snow inland I would suggest as conditions become more favourable. 

This is how GFS has it: 

IMG_7909.thumb.PNG.4932529eb844c3cf4845ee97444564b0.PNG

IMG_7910.thumb.PNG.7548587c7800c4a2e3ff74fbc6312ab4.PNG

IMG_7911.thumb.PNG.2f38fc729bc1c3610f51d54da9c3ba0b.PNG

but I'd take that with a pinch of salt. 

After 6am things look a bit more favourable, with a strong WNW, -5 850's widely, possibly even down to -6 850's and under 520 DAM, and 950's drop below zero as does the dew points :

IMG_7912.thumb.PNG.02f7ff38da30c20cbd07e25a5861657c.PNG

IMG_7913.thumb.PNG.7a7436793a6ace9f613c32c312b9586f.PNG

IMG_7914.thumb.PNG.2fb92fc6bf6d69ddb9585b3149422baf.PNG

But prior to this, looking at 3am Wednesday, 950's are very dicey as are the dew points: 

IMG_7915.thumb.PNG.ed47706d8a36e9e688bdb0e1b37e7a9d.PNG

IMG_7916.thumb.PNG.a695166fb01c051da0a74eb03955827c.PNG

Having said that, I'd imagine places in the highlands could get a decent dumping such as the south side of the great glen down to around glencoe, that would be my best guess about where would do pretty well, along with some areas north of the trossachs such as killin and Clifton for example. 

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Pretty 54ite in caithness this morning with incessant soft hail showers. Fack off. 

Jeez, this continuous searching(MOD)  for the holy grail easterly from one run to another is :wallbash: crazy!! Enough already!!

Anyhow, I’ve a feeling our next winter shot for February will be from the North(ish)..... although nothing for the majority of those in that forum to get excited about..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will be more than happy with this for my birthday...:cold::cold::cold:

gfs-1-324.png

10 minutes ago, More Snow said:

I will be more than happy with this for my birthday...:cold::cold::cold:

gfs-1-324.png

You'll have loads of company then!   Lots of us on here with birthdays around that date.:)

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 2

Nice enough day here after, as others have said, quite a wet night.   Still a bit blowy though.  

5.9c/2.2c/WSW

static_weathercams.php.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

I am thinking of doing the North Coast 500 this summer with the family. I would like to hire a motorhome that sleeps 6 but not sure if a motorhome is suitable for the roads up there? Has anyone done this? Thanks for any help!

Just now, Stormeh said:

I am thinking of doing the North Coast 500 this summer with the family. I would like to hire a motorhome that sleeps 6 but not sure if a motorhome is suitable for the roads up there? Has anyone done this? Thanks for any help!

Some of the roads are very narrow and tight, but I'd imagine a 6 berth may be manageable if you're careful. I passed a couple of motorhomes that I would estimate were 4-6 berths while I was doing it including this one at the top of the Bealach Na Ba pass on the way to applecross. 

IMG_7917.thumb.PNG.bc5d506880dab628e63290d7fe7b7306.PNG

I'd imagine with it being summer, that you won't have to worry about that kind of snow lol. We had an absolute nightmare up there with the weather. We didn't do the full 500 but I would say all the roads that we were on were certainly manageable in a 6 berth as long as you're a confident driver. 

Also if you go onto youtube, there's an Irish couple that do it in a campervan and they make note of a lot of key areas to stop and do things, especially with the family such as a deer sanctuary where you can feed them etc. They split it up over a number of different YouTube videos showing what they did each day, which helps give a good idea for timescales and places to stop and things to see etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Ruzzi

The Bealach Na Ba pass looks amazing! I am a pretty confident driver, I have driven large vehicles before so should be ok with a 6 berth. I will check out those YouTube videos, thanks!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

Thanks @Ruzzi

The Bealach Na Ba pass looks amazing! I am a pretty confident driver, I have driven large vehicles before so should be ok with a 6 berth. I will check out those YouTube videos, thanks!

Yep you'll be fine in that case, even when the roads are too narrow, everyone just kind of makes it work to squeeze past each other lol. I couldn't find the YouTube videos that I was talking about but they're defo on there somewhere lol 

This is a cracking video of the Bealach Na Ba pass though as it shows the full thing from a dashcam and I'm sure at around 20 mins and 5 seconds that's a 6 berth that comes round the corner, which is the exact same corner as is in my photo above in the snow 

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 4

Picked up the 4x4 this morning so I would take all the model runs and bin the lot of them as I can now say it will never ever snow in the uk again...:rofl:

5 hours ago, Stormeh said:

alright stormeh.

Used to live further along the braes fae you in foxbar. Know borrheid very well.

Anyhow to part answer yer question No done the north coast but my cousin did it in a four berth motorhome last year. Im no a motorhome owner and never have been , im a caravaner , we currently tow a lunar quasar four berth. If the motorhomes are similar to caravans , dont think there is that great a difference between many four and six berths regarding towing and manouvering in my experience , and it was no problem for my cousin in her motorhome.

Just dae yer research , good quality sat nav especially one for caravans/motorhomes  can help but ur no 100 % foolproof , pick yer route and where ye want to stay etc.

Been towing vans for 14 years something like that , if you have driven large vehicles then all that experience helps. enjoy pal!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ruzzi said:

Yep you'll be fine in that case, even when the roads are too narrow, everyone just kind of makes it work to squeeze past each other lol. I couldn't find the YouTube videos that I was talking about but they're defo on there somewhere lol 

This is a cracking video of the Bealach Na Ba pass though as it shows the full thing from a dashcam and I'm sure at around 20 mins and 5 seconds that's a 6 berth that comes round the corner, which is the exact same corner as is in my photo above in the snow 

cheers fur that ruzzi. looks brilliant.

• Like 1

Cracking 22 degree Halo visible tonight for those rehearsing the Super moon shenanigans..

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Stormeh said:

One thing: passing places are for following vehicles to get past, as well as oncoming. Cheers :good:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ruzzi said:

Was just having a look there, looks very marginal to say the least. 

The GFS has a band of heavy rain sweeping through but turning to snow for a few hours as it departs and then some wintery showers thereafter but anything up til 6am on Wednesday morning looks the wrong side marginal without decent elevation. The main band of precipitation has pretty much dropped most of its load by 6am so possibly some heavy snow back edge of the band with some elevation and then wintery showers thereafter, mostly of snow inland I would suggest as conditions become more favourable. 

This is how GFS has it: 

IMG_7909.thumb.PNG.4932529eb844c3cf4845ee97444564b0.PNG

IMG_7910.thumb.PNG.7548587c7800c4a2e3ff74fbc6312ab4.PNG

IMG_7911.thumb.PNG.2f38fc729bc1c3610f51d54da9c3ba0b.PNG

but I'd take that with a pinch of salt. 

After 6am things look a bit more favourable, with a strong WNW, -5 850's widely, possibly even down to -6 850's and under 520 DAM, and 950's drop below zero as does the dew points :

IMG_7912.thumb.PNG.02f7ff38da30c20cbd07e25a5861657c.PNG

IMG_7913.thumb.PNG.7a7436793a6ace9f613c32c312b9586f.PNG

IMG_7914.thumb.PNG.2fb92fc6bf6d69ddb9585b3149422baf.PNG

But prior to this, looking at 3am Wednesday, 950's are very dicey as are the dew points: 

IMG_7915.thumb.PNG.ed47706d8a36e9e688bdb0e1b37e7a9d.PNG

IMG_7916.thumb.PNG.a695166fb01c051da0a74eb03955827c.PNG

Having said that, I'd imagine places in the highlands could get a decent dumping such as the south side of the great glen down to around glencoe, that would be my best guess about where would do pretty well, along with some areas north of the trossachs such as killin and Clifton for example. 

The latest Euro4 is pretty solid for a decent shot at some very heavy snow showers on Wednesday, it looks fairly similar to Super Tuesday but not quite as potent.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The latest Euro4 is pretty solid for a decent shot at some very heavy snow showers on Wednesday, it looks fairly similar to Super Tuesday but not quite as potent.

Well that's interesting!! I looked at the Euro4 this morning (Monday morning I mean) about 11am and Wednesday morning was just in range but it didn't look too great if I'm honest but shall go check out the latest. 

Edit:

yep, most definitely an upgrade there for sure! Wasn't expecting that if I'm honest, will be an interesting watch through Wednesday now 

IMG_7919.thumb.PNG.6f49a239256015251b10657ce40bb2f1.PNG

IMG_7920.thumb.PNG.6b66f7299d0d5a523707ae3125cc0726.PNG

Plenty of kinks in there too. I did think there would be some snow showers but did not see it being the way that the Euro4 is going. I'm always open to correction when it means more snow 😬

And for all it means nothing, I have a massive upgrade from the MetO forecast 

IMG_7921.thumb.PNG.57f6cdfc59e0fc15de6f2f0264185ba6.PNG

IMG_7922.thumb.PNG.6dab991a824d11188d1072b5e2be0a84.PNG

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 4

@Ruzzi, definitely a big window for heavy snow showers across Scotland tomorrow. Everywhere apart from the NE from 3am onwards until the wind veers from west to north-west later in the afternoon then it's really just the NW with snow showers. It looks pretty decent but everything will be compared with THAT Tuesday now....

• Like 5

One last thought on tomorrow is that people shouldn't look at the Euro4 precip charts and think it's hitting/missing their location. Where the showers fall could be out on the Euro4 by a relatively tiny margin (20-30 miles). Just look forward to the radar chase tomorrow and accept that someone will do well out of this and hope it's you :)

• Like 3

Looking good for some tomorrow. Fingers crossed! I'm away with work but I'll still probably end up radar watching and browsing the forum to see what's going on :)

Have to say, the Euro 4 is still looking very respectable for tomorrow. The MetO have issued their warning aswell but they are only going for 1-2 inches on ground above 200m and any snow to low levels being mainly overnight rather than from the showers that pile in during the morning. The last time I checked there was more marginality present during the night before conditions became more favourable during the morning for snow to lower levels. Maybe I'm missing something completely obvious but they are certainly playing it down a bit. 

IMG_7923.thumb.PNG.cd9d132fa6955202f0c4b6c59c0dfe3f.PNG

IMG_7924.thumb.PNG.794690bfa25ef64dfbb65bcaf6378f68.PNG

IMG_7925.thumb.PNG.85e584313957bd917eb1cc2d4613923a.PNG