Snow?

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will get lost amid the avalanche of posts....scuse the pun. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN FOR ONLY THE SECOND TIME IN 7 AND A BIT YEARS I HAVE A MEASURABLE SNOWFALL!  Only a cm mind but a landmar

Let's just start with the money shot - both the ECM and the GFS agree that, as of Wednesday 12pm, the upper air temperatures will be sitting at -14/-15C over most of Scotland, the wind will be pretty

We had a bit of a struggle to get to the hospital this morning, the bus was 20 mins late and the taxi got fed up waiting and had gone. But we got there and hubby had the op, it's not cancer it's just

Posted Images

49 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

Had a gust of 57mph just after 7am when that squall came through. That's the highest we've had here since Jan 2016.

I no longer have an anemometer but it's getting ferociously gusty on the Black Isle this morning.  Much more and there could be some damage.

• Like 1

Back garden a bit flooded this morning and I wondered what the dog was barking at.   Turned out to be all of his play balls were floating in a huge puddle and he couldn't get to them.   He hates water and won't go near it.   Snow however is different!

Never heard a thing last night but must have been really heavy rain here for some considerable time.   A bit blowy too.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

I no longer have an anemometer but it's getting ferociously gusty on the Black Isle this morning.  Much more and there could be some damage.

Warning has just been updated to keep it in the east for longer, so looks like it's going to go on for some time yet. We've had so many warnings for wind here over the years when it's been nothing but a gusty breeze, and this is the worst it's been for at least two years and no warning whatsoever. Sustained winds just under 50mph now.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

Just the same here quite a few branches down.   Cooler at  4c

Having a discussion with neighbours about schools closing in bad weather and pointed out that all the transport needed today needs clear roads without snow,ice or branches.In my fathers day they never missed school because of bad weather as they were all over the countryside well within walking distance. In our case I went to the local school at the end of the farm road half a mile away for the last six weeks before it closed in the early sixties. It had  a  role of 88 just after the second world war.

• Like 2

A tad windy here today, fire place and stove are whistling in the wind and windows are rattling away too. its all a bit slow over in the mad house, but a few rumblings about MLB or HLB is the beast stirring ?? are we going up the garden path? will the uppers be cold enough? will there be shortwave dramas? will the cold head down to Greece will it snow on the beach in Spain and will the vortex go on a holiday to the USA?? I'm still waiting for the first "don't want snow in February coz the suns to warm and days are to long" post.. all good fun while we wait to see how it all unfolds and its always fun to see good folk getting the knickers in a twist because they don't have 3ft and minus 20c in there back yard.

Edited by Guest
3 hours ago, Blitzen said:

Back garden a bit flooded this morning and I wondered what the dog was barking at.   Turned out to be all of his play balls were floating in a huge puddle and he couldn't get to them.   He hates water and won't go near it.   Snow however is different!

Never heard a thing last night but must have been really heavy rain here for some considerable time.   A bit blowy too.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

A dog that doesn't like water? Sure it's not a cat? It's so funny watching cats going out for a dump when it's really wet or snowy, they really are wimps. Then they run back inside and give you a look that says 'you bloody bury it!'

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

A dog that doesn't like water? Sure it's not a cat? It's so funny watching cats going out for a dump when it's really wet or snowy, they really are wimps. Then they run back inside and give you a look that says 'you bloody bury it!'

My Labrador hates water.. he does everything he can to avoid puddles  when out on a run and will not go anywhere near the sea or rivers.

4 minutes ago, More Snow said:

My Labrador hates water.. he does everything he can to avoid puddles  when out on a run and will not go anywhere near the sea or rivers.

Just shows how little I know about dogs then I spose. :oops:

57 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Strange isn't it?   Had three of this breed (American Cockers) and they are all the same!   Will NOT go out in the rain but you can't keep them in when it's snowing.  (bit like me!):D

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mardatha said:

Been up in Emburra today and the wind was hellish. Went up to get the hair done, spent a bomb - and 1 second after coming oot of the hairdressers I looked like Daphne Broon. :angry:

Which one?:D

BU4u365CUAANzvv.jpg

Och well, that's Georgina oan her way noo!  Biggest gust I recorded was 47mph, and a neighbour recorded 59mph at the same time! Power stayed on, ferry started running again about 2.30. Lots of rain though, so ground ultra soggy! Really just a wee puff in comparison to what we're used to!

• Like 2

Evening all,

Wild start to the day, drive over the Tay Bridge was a bit hairy and rain was falling in sheets. Down in Embra this afternoon and it was still gusty with showers. Typical Scottish winter fare.

Signs of a coolish spell early next week on the GFS, at the least it would top up the ski centres. Seems to be backing off the idea of a high pressure dominated start to February.

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 2

There has been widespread flooding across many parts of Scotland, at one point there were 28 flood warnings. Met-Office warnings for rain? Don't be daft. I know a lot of the flooding was made worse by snow melt but up to 40mm of rain fell in some parts of the Borders, more up north. 

• Like 3

Ooofftt , I should know better than to look in on the relative insanity in the MOD :wallbash:etc

Yep folks Winters over.... Indeed some are claiming the ‘reliable’ is awful and then write off the next 6 weeks?!

Over on the CET comp thread apparently another crap Winter is on the cards because the CET for January is likely above the average !

Thank goodness for this thread :yahoo:

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, DR(S)NO said:

Ooofftt , I should know better than to look in on the relative insanity in the MOD :wallbash:etc

Yep folks Winters over.... Indeed some are claiming the ‘reliable’ is awful and then write off the next 6 weeks?!

Over on the CET comp thread apparently another crap Winter is on the cards because the CET for January is likely above the average !

Thank goodness for this thread :yahoo:

I couldn't help but have a little bite back at that bloody idiot...