Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

Posted
    2 hours ago, edo said:

haha nice 101 you are clear from my growing  list of posters who have made unacceptable anti snow comments in recent times

i have some improvements in mind for igloo 2.0 so bring on the snaw 

We could get none next year so I'm all for overdosing this year :D

• Like 1
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 6.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will get lost amid the avalanche of posts....scuse the pun. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN FOR ONLY THE SECOND TIME IN 7 AND A BIT YEARS I HAVE A MEASURABLE SNOWFALL!  Only a cm mind but a landmar

Let's just start with the money shot - both the ECM and the GFS agree that, as of Wednesday 12pm, the upper air temperatures will be sitting at -14/-15C over most of Scotland, the wind will be pretty

We had a bit of a struggle to get to the hospital this morning, the bus was 20 mins late and the taxi got fed up waiting and had gone. But we got there and hubby had the op, it's not cancer it's just

Posted Images

Posted
    17 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Prospective beast fae the east part trois?

ecmt850.240.png

I think it was Blast From The Past about a month ago said it would be mid April before it would become more springlike and I took that message and have tried to include it in the forward plans for the farm as like him I am a believer in the suns influence on the weather. and it is becoming quieter as this year rolls on.

Currently overcast and 4c

• Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Just logged in to brag that I still have the remains of a snow pile in my garden and now I find we might have more? Don't know whether to be pleased or blasé. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
    2 hours ago, Northernlights said:

I think it was Blast From The Past about a month ago said it would be mid April before it would become more springlike and I took that message and have tried to include it in the forward plans for the farm as like him I am a believer in the suns influence on the weather. and it is becoming quieter as this year rolls on.

Currently overcast and 4c

much as i love the snow i really would not enjoy another cool wet summer.... 

NL is your comment based on a sunspot forecast? 

Posted

Foggy earlier but now hazy sunshine. Not much wind and temp 4C.

Contractor arrived yesterday, after weeks of nagging, :), to cut the hedges, - a bit late in the year. To be fair he had tried to contact me in Dec while I was away from home.  Now a horrendous mess of chippings to clear up today. I hope it remains dry.

Nest building well underway for the Jackdaws.  

5aa8dfae69f66_Jdnest.thumb.jpg.285f2fd9ea9bd127e427805f9f26ff39.jpg

Edited by ciel
    • Like 6
    Posted

Hmmm...... looking cool and dry for most of Scotland at the weekend if I'm seeing the charts correctly. Could do with the high sitting a lot further north. Although to be honest I'd be quite happy with a cold, sunny weekend if the snow chances stay to our south. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

06z GFS has fairly wet friday and saturday at times with snow in the north then clearing later afternoon saturday for a dry Sunday

latest fax also shows this feature with the northern edge of it catching Scotland

no longer beast 2.0 though and the hunt for spring can begin Monday 

• Like 2
    Posted

A bit of hazy sunshine in the morning with light winds and temp up to 8C just before midday - bit of a change in the afternoon with wind picking up, temp down to 6C now and plenty of low cloud rolling in giving a dull cool feel to the day.  Not the most inspiring weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Yellow warning for snow on Friday in Central Highlands down to North Angus and Highland Perthshire. Just cold rain for here though I guess. Feeling mild today but getting breezy. 6.8C

Posted

The GFS 12z thoughts on snow chances in the East Friday into Saturday. Looks like the only real chance of any snow falling over the weekend. Looks like rain to snow as the colder air pushes in with higher ground obviously better placed. Pretty unremarkable stuff but the charts tie in fairly well with the Met forecast.

prectypeuktopo.pnguksnowrisk.png

Edited by 101_North
    • Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

The weekend looks like the Least from the East, but you never know.

When does the lowland snow patch competition start? Pics were taken this afternoon:

20180314_165423.thumb.jpg.e56037707b3957df245ffd36924d4f53.jpg20180314_163924.thumb.jpg.4862b0e416f6547a88f7b89f98c44579.jpg20180314_164314.thumb.jpg.3adaa7673baa7af7e317c9bf0fe51816.jpg20180314_173253.thumb.jpg.6ed841cf370b8a6cf9a4acd5162fbfb6.jpg20180314_170128.thumb.jpg.c2655ab431d19d69e52aee43e4ebe927.jpg

• Like 7
    Posted
    2 hours ago, 101_North said:

The GFS 12z thoughts on snow chances in the East Friday into Saturday. Looks like the only real chance of any snow falling over the weekend. Looks like rain to snow as the colder air pushes in with higher ground obviously better placed. Pretty unremarkable stuff but the charts tie in fairly well with the Met forecast.

Yeah, think you have pretty much nailed it @101_North. After what we’ve seen this winter this barely warrants a shrug of the shoulders at this stage. :D Having said that I do admire @edo for insisting that our appetite for snow should remain intact right into.....May?

I’d be quite happy with a cold dry weekend, got to get some walking in!

• Like 3
    Posted
    3 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

When does the lowland snow patch competition start? Pics were taken this afternoon:

Still some patches in coastal NE Fife but they are dwindling now, can’t match what you still have.

• Like 1
    Posted

A very bleak day  dull windy and cool with a maximum of 7c .Absolutely no sign of anything green in the countryside. Currently 5.5c  Still a few small patches of drifts in sheltered spots. Only positive is that the ground is slowly drying up.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
    1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

20180314_165423.thumb.jpg.e56037707b3957df245ffd36924d4f53.jpg20180314_163924.thumb.jpg.4862b0e416f6547a88f7b89f98c44579.jpg20180314_164314.thumb.jpg.3adaa7673baa7af7e317c9bf0fe51816.jpg20180314_173253.thumb.jpg.6ed841cf370b8a6cf9a4acd5162fbfb6.jpg20180314_170128.thumb.jpg.c2655ab431d19d69e52aee43e4ebe927.jpg

Caithness might play that game, but what counts as lowland?

• Like 1

Me snaw symbols have been replaced with poxy sleet ones.. that's it I'm done with this winter now its been over a week since it last snawed. bring me my Spring :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow
    43 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Caithness might play that game, but what counts as lowland?

150m or lower? 

• Like 2
    Posted
    1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

150m or lower? 

Pfft. 150m is arctic hinterland! 150 feet at the most! :D

Posted

Looks like the ECM, GFS and ICON models are all showing a northwards trend for this weekend. Wouldn't take a huge amount more northern correction over the next day or so to put the central belt firmly back in the game.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Arbitration needed here... 

I saw one very determined drift yesterday, right by the A9 on the south side of the Dornoch Firth, just above the strand line. Other drifts on higher untreated roads still a big nuisance in Sutherland. 

Still really gusty this morning. Chimney's whistling again. 

Edited by Hairy Celt
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....
    • Very blustery up here too Hairy Celt, temp around 7c but dry. Hope you guys in the far East have been panic buying bread and milk! Hate to think of you all with empty freezers and huddled round a candle for warmth! :cold::D
    Edited by mistyqueen
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Apologies for quality of the snap. Here's our hardy snow pile still hanging on in there being closely monitored by Harris the cat (aka The Ginger Whinger). 

_20180315_074555.JPG

• Like 4