Posted

Today's graft:

• Tomatoes x 4 varieties sown
    • Leeks sown
    • Six sets of bulbs planted in earthenware tubs
    • Herbs x 3 varieties sown

Cottage doors wide open, cats in and out. Spring! :D

• Like 9
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 6.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will get lost amid the avalanche of posts....scuse the pun. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN FOR ONLY THE SECOND TIME IN 7 AND A BIT YEARS I HAVE A MEASURABLE SNOWFALL!  Only a cm mind but a landmar

Let's just start with the money shot - both the ECM and the GFS agree that, as of Wednesday 12pm, the upper air temperatures will be sitting at -14/-15C over most of Scotland, the wind will be pretty

We had a bit of a struggle to get to the hospital this morning, the bus was 20 mins late and the taxi got fed up waiting and had gone. But we got there and hubby had the op, it's not cancer it's just

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Not as warm as forecast here with a max of 7.0C. Still pleasant enough in the sun and the highest March temp to date.

Posted

Dull day here but dry with patches of low cloud.A maximum of 6c and currently 4c. Ground pretty wet again after last nights rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: HOT SUNSHINE!

Disappointing day here, few glimpses of sun but mainly mist. Wish we could get some real sunshine, I want to get into the garden.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

We managed a max of 5C under a heavy grey blanket today, but I wasn't that bothered by the cold - was chopping wood most of the day. About ready for next winter now, onwards to the following winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

felt quite pleasant here today after the atrocious freezing torrential rain yesterday.... poor wee kids at football were toiling.... 4c and cold breeze and torrential rain is so much worse than - 4 and snowing 

Posted

I actually can't believe what the models are showing this morning. The possibility of beast 2 is well and truly on! Some models have the easterly in by T96, but GFS, UKMO and ECM all got some variation of theme of cold weather from the east, with a retrogression and a motherly setting in afterwards. I honestly don't believe it.... it can't, can it? 

• Like 5

Miserable morning here, dull damp and 3c looking at the rest of the week it would seem a drop in temps toward the weekend and snaw is in the forecast Friday night into Saturday morning. we shall see. happy Monday everybody and I hope you all have a great week.

Posted

Not that unusal for snow in March or even April especially up here but its the depth of  predicted cold in the models for the South that must be very rare and if it was to happen then both wildlife and plant life would take a big knock down there. Most of our garden and fields are still in winter mode. The farm has always been run on the basis of a seven month winter.Currently 4c  dull and damp.

• Like 3
    Posted

Hello all

Interesting to see the prospect of another potentially snowy spell on the horizon.  As always with these things however, 'I'll believe it when I see it', especially here :)  I was really nervous about the spell just passed, purely because snow here (especially deep snow) is not to be taken for granted given its rarity.  However, NL makes a good point about how nature would be affected by unseasonable weather.  I also volunteer on the Strathspey Railway at Aviemore, and I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate snow just as they are ready to open for the season.

Tim

Edited by TinyTim
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow
    2 hours ago, Ruzzi said:

I actually can't believe what the models are showing this morning. The possibility of beast 2 is well and truly on! Some models have the easterly in by T96, but GFS, UKMO and ECM all got some variation of theme of cold weather from the east, with a retrogression and a motherly setting in afterwards. I honestly don't believe it.... it can't, can it? 

Oh yes it can, if we're lucky:

12MarECM144p.thumb.gif.70e59c94d05be32e028c9681aac63d22.gif12MarECM144.thumb.jpg.e1c7bd51a6fe13d1425e6970b4908291.jpg

• Like 5
    Posted

I blame More Snow. This is all his fault. Since he moved up here it has hardly ever stopped snowing. Could he please move back doon south for the summer!!  :rofl::rofl:  I remember snow in June one year  and I DON'T WANT IT AGAIN!

• Like 3
    Posted

The models do seem very confident about the chances of another cold blast. Interesting that they have upgraded so quickly this time around. I'm sure most would not want a straight repeat of Beast1, and the impact on people, animals, crops etc. 

Personally a wee bit of snow followed by some cold sunny days will do for me, and an elongated season for the ski centres.

However I do reserve the right to get more excited as the week goes on :cold:

• Like 4
    Posted
    1 hour ago, ploughboy said:

The models do seem very confident about the chances of another cold blast. Interesting that they have upgraded so quickly this time around. I'm sure most would not want a straight repeat of Beast1, and the impact on people, animals, crops etc. 

Personally a wee bit of snow followed by some cold sunny days will do for me, and an elongated season for the ski centres.

However I do reserve the right to get more excited as the week goes on :cold:

ummmmmmmm yes please

i do have sympathy for our farming friends but i could happily have one more wee blast then spring can/should/must happen

• Like 2
    Posted

The thermometer may read 7C (positively tropical for here compared to the last few months) but it feels really cold thanks to the damp atmosphere.  Very dull with light winds and occasional showers of heavy drizzle.  IF the models have it right, the next bout of snow is going to catch out a lot of people.

• Like 1
    Posted
    5 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Not that unusal for snow in March or even April especially up here but its the depth of  predicted cold in the models for the South that must be very rare and if it was to happen then both wildlife and plant life would take a big knock down there. Most of our garden and fields are still in winter mode. The farm has always been run on the basis of a seven month winter.Currently 4c  dull and damp.

A quick update auctioneer and  Shepherd from Applecross  in this morning both telling stories of artic lorryloads of hay coming up from Colchester to Skye this week. A lot of animals will have to be turned out in April even if there is no grass to graze as straw for bedding nearly all used up. The problem started last summer with hardly two dry days in a row in spite of just average rainfall carried on into autumn with a wet harvest hence lot of straw never baled and cattle housed early because they were destroying grass fields.Even large scale arable farms will be in trouble this spring as a lot of fieldwork still not possible and no winter ploughing done.Doing everything with minimal labour and machines is not the right thing to be doing in the face of such difficult weather conditions.Late sowing into May will incur yield reductions A lot of it has to do with the lack of drying days with wind instead we have had a lot of misty drizzly days in the last nine months.

Still dull misty and drizzly and currently 6c

• Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Dry, mostly cloudy with some sunny spells 6.6C / 989.9hpa

Posted

i woild have said not but with these uppers and increased sun strength now then maybe could be quite a bit of potential in beast 2 

not sure about sea temps though which may be cooler following beast 1 and may hinder convection 

hopefully someone knowledgeable will come along and help 

Screenshot_20180312-185718.png

• Like 2
    Posted

I must officially be ageing as I am struggling to whip up any enthusiasm at the prospect of another easterly incursion, even a modified version of what we’ve just had. Not that that means much to the weather, of course! :D

Will obviously need watching this week, just in case I have to get together another set of snow total predictions! 

Not much of a day here, grey and cool, max 6c.

March mean currently sitting anything from 2.5 to 4.5c below average! 

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Crap day here, dull, drizzly, cool, misty, moisty, damp, dreich PISH.

Spring please. Tomorrow.

I would say, 'Take yer useless easterlies and shove 'em....' but I'm far too polite :)

• Like 3
    Posted

Shurely that should be "shovel 'em"?!

No desire for more here, although making 40 snow days would be cute.

• Like 4
    Posted
    1 hour ago, Hawesy said:

I must officially be ageing as I am struggling to whip up any enthusiasm at the prospect of another easterly incursion, even a modified version of what we’ve just had. Not that that means much to the weather, of course! :D

Hawesy son, you have no stamina!! Where's yer sense of adventure? Channel yer inner Capt Scott! :cold:

• Like 1