Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

A block of conifers has been cut on the way from here to Inverness, opening up a view that didn't exist before. Here's part of it, in this morning's sunshine. A view of one of @Northernlights's favourites.

5aa2eabd65a7e_BeinnWyvis.thumb.jpg.e889d562bb252832c92244622224ffb0.jpg

The car thermometer got up to 9C in Elgin this afternoon, but there are still vast snowy expanses further south and east from there.  Where's @More Snow got too? I hope he has his camera out still. Or he swapped in for a crate of <you know what> :drunk:

Bugger about the rain tomorrow :angry:

@ciel - lovely picture of the kingfisher :)

And not sure I could cope with ANOTHER sodding easterly after the damp squib of that last one Hmff... :whistling:

Edited by Hairy Celt
    • Like 5
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 6.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will get lost amid the avalanche of posts....scuse the pun. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN FOR ONLY THE SECOND TIME IN 7 AND A BIT YEARS I HAVE A MEASURABLE SNOWFALL!  Only a cm mind but a landmar

Let's just start with the money shot - both the ECM and the GFS agree that, as of Wednesday 12pm, the upper air temperatures will be sitting at -14/-15C over most of Scotland, the wind will be pretty

We had a bit of a struggle to get to the hospital this morning, the bus was 20 mins late and the taxi got fed up waiting and had gone. But we got there and hubby had the op, it's not cancer it's just

Posted Images

Posted

Yes    Hairy Celt the mountains to the north and west including Ben Wyvis were fabulous looking in the early morning sun today with snow cover which must rank amongst the best for a while.

• Like 4
    Posted

One of those milky skies this evening, where we see sundogs and other phenomena. Lovely to see over the white fields.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

A slightly chilly start here with an overnight low of -0.3C. Thereafter, a mostly fine day, with some good sunshine. Last of the snaw in the wee hoose's garden melted this arvo.  :sorry: 

Temp maxed out at 6.7C, so still a bit below normal, but feeling much more springlike after last week's beasterly. 

Tomorrow's looking a bit p*sh, but at least the rugby's on and Sunday should be better again. 

• Like 1
    Posted
    1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Yes    Hairy Celt the mountains to the north and west including Ben Wyvis were fabulous looking in the early morning sun today with snow cover which must rank amongst the best for a while.

What I noticed yesterday and today (first time I've been east for a few weeks) was how stunningly bright white all the hills in Easter Ross, Sutherland and Caithness look, more so than at any time last winter, when I was over by Buckie often.

• Like 1

Morning all, a foggy and cold start here today but the temp is on the up, still got some snow patches in the garden and surrounding fields. last nights long range BBC hinted at a return of cold weather for Scotland so lets see how that develops hope everybody has a great weekend.

Posted

Morning all, once again fantastic photos, people.

However let’s put all talk of another beast on the back burner shall we? Quite aside from @Northernlights insights into the impact on the farming industry, from a personal point of view I’m walking the Rob Roy Way for charity in two weeks time and I don’t want to have to dig myself out of the tent!

10c and sunshine from the 24th, please! :D

Not much of that on offer today. Dreich and damp currently , 5c.

Edited by Hawesy
    • Like 2
    Posted

@Hairy Celt, yep, they're very common in the Moffat & Tweedsmuir hills, and even over to the west in the Lowther hills where the big estate owners have a reputation for killing everything but grouse, they're all over the place. I think they're amazingly resilient creatures, they're pretty bright so know when to keep their heads down, and so fast that they can almost always escape from fox and mink.

• Like 5
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

I drove across Scotland yesterday to Kilmacolm and back, apart from the drifts on Soutra the biggest drifts left are close to my house. This is about a mile away, pics were taken in pouring rain this morning. Most of the drifts are about half their original size...

20180310_080636.thumb.jpg.1797ca88cebca01e03b7cb019e76fe26.jpg20180310_080646.thumb.jpg.e4c03bf199b402d66f4826e11501455d.jpg20180310_080448.thumb.jpg.a7f3b4d561a08b19d37620f832c87b61.jpg20180310_080335.thumb.jpg.e1fabbcccab93c4cc6d208472118aa8d.jpg

• Like 8
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Dreich. Cold rain 4.2C March is turning into a pretty wet month already.

• Like 1
    Posted
    2 hours ago, Hawesy said:

Morning all, once again fantastic photos, people.

However let’s put all talk of another beast on the back burner shall we? Quite aside from @Northernlights insights into the impact on the farming industry, from a personal point of view I’m walking the Rob Roy Way for charity in two weeks time and I don’t want to have to dig myself out of the tent!

10c and sunshine from the 24th, please! :D

Not much of that on offer today. Dreich and damp currently , 5c.

I see there is an article in the Press and Journal farming section today advising farmers to prepare for a late spring.

The Scottish governments weather resiliance committee must behind this with them seeing what we are seeing in the models

Currently raining and 4.5c. Am seeing a few farmers ploughing today another sign of anxiety when the ground must be far to wet to plough and normally they would never start but the wet autumn and winter have held up this operation so there is still a lot to do.

• Like 4
    Posted

And here's the extended edition of yesterday morning's shot. Fairburn windfarm is visible on the horizon to the west, as are the big shiny tanks (or whatever they're called) of the infamous local brewery. A couple of the houses are new but most are much older. The furthest west hills are the east end of the north Strathfarrer range - superb hills at any time of year, unfortunately with access restricted by estates with antique attitudes to public access to the land. (No apologies for the rant.)

No views like that today, it's grim oop north.

extended edition.jpg

Edited by Hairy Celt
    • Like 5
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

wet wet wet... not the band but the weather today :bad: 5.0C/ 5.4mm so far today

• Like 2
    Posted

The Blackadder is high today. It's rarely like this (the vid is on my FB page as it's too big to load on here):

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1412600048844024&id=422182047885834

• Like 5
    Posted

This time last week I was having a wee drinkies and got a bit giddy....

Using the mop I chopped down icicles from the back of the cottage, planted them in the snow and requisitioned the pizza cutter for a starring role, to discover an icy new world:

IMG_20180303_224724.thumb.jpg.84cef928ccaa42b51dd20ec3c158a00a.jpg

:laugh: :ninja:

• Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Ick wet, cold rubbish day here and snow pile taking a hammering from the rain 

Posted

Don't discount the beastlet from the east yet. In normal years we'd be excited by charts like this, now they look a little feeble:

11MarGFS204.thumb.jpg.d953a7ed14b63c7af069cecb71f37184.jpg11Mar204850.thumb.jpg.b15d7bf42a0f5a5526c30aacb45086bb.jpg

This morning is misty but dry in the far south-east, the forecast is for mild with a hint of sun.

20180311_073100.thumb.jpg.185337239b3c3802c61dabd8710c5385.jpg

• Like 4
    Posted

Yuck, Pea soup after a very wet day. Snaw took a big hit, but some impressive mounds still resisting the thaw up the farm road

• Like 1
    Posted
    22 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

@moffatross- nice spot with the hares! Are they common on the hills down your way?

I had a wee hunt for Mountain Hares earlier this year, on separate occasions, in Glen Muick, The Lecht, Cairn o Mount and Glen Shee,  with absolutely no luck. Four or five years ago they were all over the place.

Posted
    28 minutes ago, ciel said:

I had a wee hunt for Mountain Hares earlier this year, on separate occasions, in Glen Muick, The Lecht, Cairn o Mount and Glen Shee,  with absolutely no luck. Four or five years ago they were all over the place.

Came up over the Cairn o Mount 2 years  ago after the Spring Show at the end of February to be greeted by what looked like an army on manouvres with tracked vehicles ,guns and camouflaged clothing.  Was obviously a massive white hare shoot on a scale I have never seen before with literally hundreds of keepers and guns. They were going to be taking no prisoners on that scale of shoot.

Very wet here overnight but damp dull and misty now and currently 5c, The screws are slowly being turned on the farming scene by the weather just now especially if the cold spell materialises next week.. The peak lambing and calving will soon be happening. Lots of farmers  try to lamb or calve inside and soon as the young are drinking and on their feet put them outside to minimise cross animal infections but putting them out into cold wet weather does mother and offspring no favours and increases food consumption.

Edited by Northernlights
    • Like 3
    Posted
    7 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Came up over the Cairn o Mount 2 years  ago after the Spring Show at the end of February to be greeted by what looked like an army on manouvres with tracked vehicles ,guns and camouflaged clothing.  Was obviously a massive white hare shoot on a scale I have never seen before with literally hundreds of keepers and guns. They were going to be taking no prisoners on that scale of shoot.

I can believe that, NL. The "estates" around here have a very bad reputation in respect of conservation. Numerous raptors have gone missing in the Angus Glens. One particular incident comes to mind from a year or two ago in which a tree, in Glen Esk, hosting a Sea Eagle's nest was simply chopped down.