Sign in to follow this  
DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

5 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

Our road needs digging out by a JCB again ;-)

P1170944.jpg

just had ours done. what a week its been.

22 minutes ago, ECOSSE1650 said:

Somebody on Skye is in big trouble, possibly a farmer who has been burning his grass fields and the fire has spread into a forest, I'll try and upload photos later. Crazy that at this time of the year that the grass/shrubs/trees can burn and on Skye of all places, whilst so much of the country is under snow.

It's muir burn season and for once the ground on Skye is very dry! Fire spreads really quickly being fanned by the strong winds. I believe fire service are in attendance. Happens every year, at least one fire gets out of control. Still nae snaw where I am, thankfully, although I believe the north of the island now has a wee dusting.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mistyqueen said:

It's muir burn season and for once the ground on Skye is very dry! Fire spreads really quickly being fanned by the strong winds. I believe fire service are in attendance. Happens every year, at least one fire gets out of control. Still nae snaw where I am, thankfully, although I believe the north of the island now has a wee dusting.

North end of Skye.

7b75c518-4e19-4c10-b037-d73adcadecf5.JPG

997ec0b4-e798-4591-9edc-b64fec77ffb2.JPG

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

Did anyone else hear the story that the red for snow was a first? They must have meant under the new matrix system as I was certain we'd had them before, and we have. Reading the old thread was cool, it was a combined cold spell thread :)

Screenshot_20180302-092039.thumb.png.64dbb803f3c8ee8494435c4b4673c927.pngScreenshot_20180302-092008.thumb.png.432b2e6c2afab3d52e074ebf6ce15e45.pngScreenshot_20180302-092051.thumb.png.37db76a0dfd508ab5492b86375d171fc.pngScreenshot_20180302-091753.thumb.png.dd5af57349378a98915ff155b9f57e19.pngScreenshot_20180302-091819.thumb.png.1e01f1e6a1c97e35b7c44b6cb9c30bcd.pngScreenshot_20180302-091943.thumb.png.4f33a68bfb95639be1ca2fbff4e9de09.pngScreenshot_20180302-091807.thumb.png.a9bff158a3047726d977f43cd6b07f42.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ECOSSE1650 said:

North end of Skye.

Photos sent by a family friend on Skye this morning, my favourite place in Scotland.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, 101_North said:

The drifting round here overnight in wild! Easily 2-3ft deep in places and some areas windswept almost down to the concrete!

Yeah, it's like looking out on the tundra ! Deep snow blowing about, light flakes falling from an icy grey sky.

It's been a hugely impressive spell of weather. Maybe not quite reached the depths of 2010 but the blowing and drifting snow has made up for it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ECOSSE1650 said:

North end of Skye.

Scary! Damage to forest I hear tell.:shok::(

6 minutes ago, Polar Side said:

Yeah, it's like looking out on the tundra ! Deep snow blowing about, light flakes falling from an icy grey sky.

It's been a hugely impressive spell of weather. Maybe not quite reached the depths of 2010 but the blowing and drifting snow has made up for it.

Agreed. We had more snow in 2010 but the drifting is making this memorable! Incredible few days!

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 3

Still snowin' and blowin' here but doesn't look any different than it did last night.   Cold tho', wind chill seems higher today.

Included a few webcam pics from around Fife:

static_weathercams.php.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 7

Morning All

Just taken another measurement and up to 15cms now, which is an extra 5 overnight!  It does look pretty amazing and the roads here are appalling, though seems to be a lot more traffic on them today.  Still no buses though, which is incredible as even in 2010 they kept them running throughout.  An extremely memorable period that is now (for me at least) living up to the hype.  Still no 2010, but what is? 

Tim

Edited by TinyTim
  • Like 9

The council to be fair have ploughed all the main roads round here so traffic is getting moving. Side roads are a major issue though and I suspect it will be several days yet before we can even think about getting the car out. Hopefully the situation with the buses improves over the weekend so people can get moving again. The local butcher deserves a medal for getting open and having enough goodies for me to spend a small fortune :D

• Like 6

Whiteout conditions here again, truly stunning that it just keeps on coming wave after wave of it.

Clyde is trying to help plough the road:

We've only got patchy snow falling here but it's still drifting like crazy.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ECOSSE1650 said:

North end of Skye.

How muirburn is still legal, never mind acceptable land management, is beyond belief when scenes like this are commonplace in the Highlands every spring.

• Like 4

Well, it's dullsville here in Leith. Grey with occasional snizzle. Local hat on, think we can say now that the big streamers/big convection  showers are done as the cold uppers recede from west to east and moderate. Edinburgh/Glasgow airports reporting 32/33F so we're getting to more marginal situations at sea-level. Although whether the central belt basks in 34,36,37F the next 2-3 days probably won't make that much difference to existing snow cover. And probably no clear-skied frost to consolidate things overnight so I guess we end up with an imperceptibly slow thaw. Snow will get claggier but thats way better for making huge snowmen than when it was all powder. So I don't see an immediate end to fun for the kids. Bound to end in a slush-fest sometime though and that's when I really will want to see the back of it !

Edited by LeithRayOfSunshine
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, su rui ke said:

I think this happened in 1947 in parts of the West Highlands as well. The winter was so easterly-dominated that parts of the country that are usually among the wettest ended up bone dry by the spring!

Thats true. They were burning heather north of Loch Ness while the Eastern and Southern Highlands were buried with drifts over 21 feet.

Edited by Norrance

Not so much snow here overnight but the drifts are getting seriously exceptional this ain't going to be melting fully anytime soon for sure

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, West Highland Storm said:

Fort William cold, still no snow !

Don't worry, same in Inverness! Curse of the easterlies!

• Like 1

Anyone know if this expected to last until Easter? Just heard it on radio, isnit utter b**locks or true?

18 minutes ago, LeithRayOfSunshine said:

Well, it's dullsville here in Leith. Grey with occasional snizzle. Local hat on, think we can say now that the big streamers/big convection  showers are done as the cold uppers recede from west to east and moderate. Edinburgh/Glasgow airports reporting 32/33F so we're getting to more marginal situations at sea-level. Although whether the central belt basks in 34,36,37F the next 2-3 days probably won't make that much difference to existing snow cover. And probably no clear-skied frost to consolidate things overnight so I guess we end up with an imperceptibly slow thaw. Snow will get claggier but thats way better for making huge snowmen than when it was all powder. So I don't see an immediate end to fun for the kids. Bound to end in a slush-fest sometime though and that's when I really will want to see the back of it !

The models are hinting at a slight warm up but defo no quick thaw, no chance. We may even see the return of snowcrete that I had in late Feb 2010 with rain falling onto snow and then freezing. There are also strong hints at more snow for some over the next ten days, but not as much as the last few days.

Some lowland places are going to have snow patches until well into March. Probs the best route to a full thaw as it'll take ages that way. Wet & mild on top of this would be disasterous.

• Like 4

Drifting causing huge problems around NE Fife, still no buses running and no way in and out of villages like Crail :rofl:

(Ah the irony)

Agree with @LeithRayOfSunshine about the slow thaw ahead. Only downside of the easterly is we probably have several grey dreary days ahead, but it seems unreasonable to complain about that after what it’s delivered.

Final tally in Broughty Ferry: 7cm. Takes me up to a total of 10cm fallen since Dec 2010. Ya dancer! :D

• Like 6