Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will get lost amid the avalanche of posts....scuse the pun. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN FOR ONLY THE SECOND TIME IN 7 AND A BIT YEARS I HAVE A MEASURABLE SNOWFALL!  Only a cm mind but a landmar

Let's just start with the money shot - both the ECM and the GFS agree that, as of Wednesday 12pm, the upper air temperatures will be sitting at -14/-15C over most of Scotland, the wind will be pretty

We had a bit of a struggle to get to the hospital this morning, the bus was 20 mins late and the taxi got fed up waiting and had gone. But we got there and hubby had the op, it's not cancer it's just

Posted Images

Some friends in the Moodiesburn and Cumbernauld area saying they have 2 to 3 feet of snow. Snowed for almost 36 hours. This is only about 10 miles North and East of us here and we have about 6 to 8 inches.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Rickoza said:

Met Office has heavy snow 12-2 here, just can't see this happening.  Had hardly anything for hours now.

Keep the faith mate - tons of action out to the East currently and that 12-2 timescale should be decent. (Keep an eye on the radar nearer the time)

C78B9081-0E73-49C3-95E5-D3E9372BDBFF.png

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 1

Interesting to see the Amber warning extended from 6pm today to 10am tomorrow morning. Clearly potential for further decent accumulations for many of us! ? 

Great seeing everyone’s snow pictures. Easily the best snow since 2010 here. 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, snowidea said:

Still going mental here. 

Is it wrong to be jealous of the red warning in Wales? 

places in the SW havent seen decent snow for 25 years so good luck to them, be interested to see just how bad it gets down there as i have family in Somerset

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, colrobs said:

Some friends in the Moodiesburn and Cumbernauld area saying they have 2 to 3 feet of snow. Snowed for almost 36 hours. This is only about 10 miles North and East of us here and we have about 6 to 8 inches.

I'm in Lennoxtown and we are just over 2 feet of snow on the level parts, the drifts are around 4 feet.To measure it I had to stand in the snow and the depth was between my knee and my hip - just over 2 foot. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Northern Strath said:

To be fair, you'd be hard pushed to find a city in the UK that's had more days snow falling/lying this winter than the sneck, it's just having a wee rest :)

Completely true (probably of most winters!) which is why I never begrudge folk elsewhere in the country a big Easterly event, despite the fact that they're largely useless for us up here.

Funnily enough the weekend onward looks to be potentially more interesting for us! 

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, colrobs said:

we are 3 miles north of Cumbernauld, and we are approaching 3 feet in places, and it is currently a white out.

• Like 2

Certainly a lot more snow in Glenrothes today, we largely watched everything slip north or south of us yesterday.

Oddly enough the snow on the road in front of the house is staying around 4"-5" deep as the wind is continually scouring off the top.

• Like 2

Been out clearing the paths. Calling it in at a level 5" (13cm). Drifts at side of house about a foot.

Still getting some good flurries but there's a wee bit thaw on when the sun breaks through.

Feels good out there as long as you're moving.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, howham said:

Drier day here today. Seems like Aberdeen is getting more today.  I wouldn't be surprised if we got more tomorrow than today.

A90 between aberdeen and ellon about 1hr ago

A5905B69-7CE1-4A47-BBCF-83C1AD307C01.jpeg

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, GrrClark said:

Certainly a lot more snow in Glenrothes today, we largely watched everything slip north or south of us yesterday.

Oddly enough the snow on the road in front of the house is staying around 4"-5" deep as the wind is continually scouring off the top.

Yep this feels like we're getting the stuff today that everyone south was getting yesterday :)

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

Yep this feels like we're getting the stuff today that everyone south was getting yesterday :)

Direction has changed, the showers are coming in with a little more of a southerly angle than yesterday so that's probably helping you.

Driveway here cleared and ready. Might have to go for a walk later even if I no longer have the excuse of the dog.

Yellow warning for East coast just extended into Monday now.

• Like 3

Wind picking up here now and snow still coming. Not a clue how deep it is not and not going oot to see. First pic is a metal coal bunker 4 ft high. Second one was taken earlier this morning.

ATHURS5.jpg

ATHURS6.jpg

• Like 8