Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will get lost amid the avalanche of posts....scuse the pun. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN FOR ONLY THE SECOND TIME IN 7 AND A BIT YEARS I HAVE A MEASURABLE SNOWFALL!  Only a cm mind but a landmar

Let's just start with the money shot - both the ECM and the GFS agree that, as of Wednesday 12pm, the upper air temperatures will be sitting at -14/-15C over most of Scotland, the wind will be pretty

We had a bit of a struggle to get to the hospital this morning, the bus was 20 mins late and the taxi got fed up waiting and had gone. But we got there and hubby had the op, it's not cancer it's just

Posted Images

1 hour ago, ECOSSE1650 said:

Sorry to inform Edo in Perth but it's snowing handkerchief size flakes in Motherwell at 0830.

quite relaxed mate....happy with my 13cm and the quality of the snow :)

• Like 3
1 hour ago, moffatross said:

I can't find your prediction for Moffat but I've just been for a wade around in the powder and it's truly impressive stuff from an Easterly *. It's hard to tell, what with the drifting, but there's somewhere between 15 to 20 cm of some of the most delightful powdery goodness outside the hoose, some much deeper drifts, and the snow showers are still rattling by. How's Hawesy-land looking ? :)

*Edit - usually, Moffat's weather is just pure cold, braw and sunny out of an Easterly, whether it's autumn, winter, spring or summer.

I gave you 10cm so underdone! :sorry: But better that than overdone....folks seem more forgiving, somehow! :D

Windy with light snow showers here this morning, we probably have about 6cm right on the coast but it’s been blown all over the place so virtually impossible to measure!

• Like 1

Never seen snow like this...

Only born end of 1995 admittedly so those v snowy years of 1995 and 96 etc are not remembered by me. Really the millenium onwards is when I can remember from.

Over a foot here at height in Kincardine, pretty much snowed in. I will have to dig my car out

• Like 1
1 hour ago, More Snow said:

snaw back on, schools closed and Mrs Snow is stuck in leeds unable to get home.

full set right there mate :)

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, WhiteXmas said:

I'm very interested (excited) to see how this afternoon pans out having seen a couple of of those Fax charts and the trough going right through the central belt. Just beginning to snow again here - should have a few "on and off" showers throughout this morning going by the radar. 

aboot time one of these bad boys went 50 miles North..... tantalisingly close to Perth on the models Ruzzi posted

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Mr Frost said:

Just seen a couple of pictures on twitter - first one is Dumbarton and second one is Alexandria. 

Just North of Glasgow city centre seemed to be getting pummelled all night and this morning - anyone in that zone? 

95C82492-153C-48F7-AFBF-08E7A3C6F4E1.png

67A4730C-A328-4327-80F0-9A0F2184AF90.png

My daughter's in Partick and sent this pic yesterday evening. Don't know who the girl is but suppose she is a pal.

IMG_0080.JPG

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

It's gone bonkers up here now. How odd that as soon as the red warning was announced, our snow stopped. And as soon as it expired, our heaviest snow for two days has started falling ;-)

Snow showers here have been much more frequent and heavier this morning than yesterday too.

• Like 2

We are in the same scenario as yesterday am where the showers seem to fizzle out in east lothian , are fairly light here, then rapidly perk up again once they hit the M8 .. obviously that all changed yesterday afternoon so interesting what causes that to happen. hopefully switch back again as we go through the day

• Like 2

Cold sunny  start at -8c still -3c .House really cold this morning. 20180301_091052.thumb.jpg.5df1e6195ed0b35fca60a54ae5ba2dcd.jpg

A streamer to the north of the Firth  has really given problems on the A9 in Caithness. A couple of photos of the streamer showers across the Firth to the north.

20180301_081040.thumb.jpg.236e66232fd4c822145968be82e6f1ce.jpg20180301_081047.thumb.jpg.0d48febb4f3d15816aaa7fb4b96d7d07.jpg

Neeps frozen solid so cows will have to get silage instead today

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 8

Except from the inch or so of snow we got on Monday night, we've had a grand total of....0cm. Wall to wall sunshine normally with an occasional very light shower of fine snow. 

Despair!

• Sad 2

Short but very heavy shower here at the minute. Cleared paths quickly turning white. Heaviest shower today - pelting down!

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 2
17 hours ago, Snowlover2 said:

I haven’t been out but gritters have been out all day I think. Been a lot of accidents m90 j5/6 and loch road was bad last night. 

Belting down in Aberdeen just now and roads are mental outeith the city with drifting snow 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

Except from the inch or so of snow we got on Monday night, we've had a grand total of....0cm. Wall to wall sunshine normally with an occasional very light shower of fine snow. 

Despair!

To be fair, you'd be hard pushed to find a city in the UK that's had more days snow falling/lying this winter than the sneck, it's just having a wee rest :)

• Like 1