Jump to content

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will get lost amid the avalanche of posts....scuse the pun. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN FOR ONLY THE SECOND TIME IN 7 AND A BIT YEARS I HAVE A MEASURABLE SNOWFALL!  Only a cm mind but a landmar

Let's just start with the money shot - both the ECM and the GFS agree that, as of Wednesday 12pm, the upper air temperatures will be sitting at -14/-15C over most of Scotland, the wind will be pretty

We had a bit of a struggle to get to the hospital this morning, the bus was 20 mins late and the taxi got fed up waiting and had gone. But we got there and hubby had the op, it's not cancer it's just

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Just seen a couple of pictures on twitter - first one is Dumbarton and second one is Alexandria. 

Just North of Glasgow city centre seemed to be getting pummelled all night and this morning - anyone in that zone? 

 

95C82492-153C-48F7-AFBF-08E7A3C6F4E1.png

67A4730C-A328-4327-80F0-9A0F2184AF90.png

About 7 miles Noryh West of Dumbarton and its very bad. Everything going through Stirling has hit us plus a good chunk of the Streamer has banded with it just before reaching us. At full pelt the intensity of these showers/mini bands really is impressive

Edited by CameronWS
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The heaviest showers this am are certainly north of the central belt through fife and Stirling - pretty quiet here compared to yesterday afternoon/evening so have to see if picks up again later

Having said that the blue sky and sun on the snaw is beautiful ! And no sign of much melt as yet

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Brother lives in Bowling, West Dumbartonshire directly on the North bank of the Firth of Clyde! Just amazing to see this much at sea level! (Just sent me a couple of pictures below.) 

Regarding the trough at lunchtime - it looks as though we are in for another hit! 

 

09643983-FEE0-420D-B07D-4868ED01D946.png

FA1F7A0C-F012-41EC-9339-E7B14E9DD072.png

8172A0D0-D6F7-4FDB-A137-BDD99BD4DB5F.png

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mr Frost said:

Brother lives in Bowling, West Dumbartonshire directly on the North bank of the Firth of Clyde! Just amazing to see this much at sea level! (Just sent me a couple of pictures below.) 

Regarding the trough at lunchtime - it looks as though we are in for another hit! 

 

09643983-FEE0-420D-B07D-4868ED01D946.png

FA1F7A0C-F012-41EC-9339-E7B14E9DD072.png

8172A0D0-D6F7-4FDB-A137-BDD99BD4DB5F.png

My folks stay in Inverclyde, they are telling me the levels on top of cars is about 2 feet, and it looks like the cars are all merging into one line!. I think people near the Clyde have done even better than places like Renfrewshire/Paisley where I am. Hard to actually gauge what we have here, would say about a foot going by across the street's hedge. Think parts of Glasgow got an absolute hammering too.

Edited by grifter
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone,

I am from Leeds and you guys look to have it bad. My partner is due to travel down from East Lothian (Prestonpans to be exact) down the A1 or the A68 route to Leeds either tonight or tmrw.

Can anyone say what the roads will be like and if likely ploughed or gritted. I can see the A1 seems clear from Newcastle downwards.

Hoping everyone stays safe wherever you are.

Thank you.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, richardc1983 said:

Hey everyone,

I am from Leeds and you guys look to have it bad. My partner is due to travel down from East Lothian (Prestonpans to be exact) down the A1 or the A68 route to Leeds either tonight or tmrw.

Can anyone say what the roads will be like and if likely ploughed or gritted. I can see the A1 seems clear from Newcastle downwards.

Hoping everyone stays safe wherever you are.

Thank you.

It's still going to be an Amber Warning which is serious.

I'd suggest postponing if possible until at least the weekend...

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GraemeB said:

It's still going to be an Amber Warning which is serious.

I'd suggest postponing if possible until at least the weekend...

Yeah we are thinking that there would be no point coming down on the Sat to then go back home on the Sunday so unless the roads are clear and gritted then might as well move weekends.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, richardc1983 said:

Hey everyone,

I am from Leeds and you guys look to have it bad. My partner is due to travel down from East Lothian (Prestonpans to be exact) down the A1 or the A68 route to Leeds either tonight or tmrw.

Can anyone say what the roads will be like and if likely ploughed or gritted. I can see the A1 seems clear from Newcastle downwards.

Hoping everyone stays safe wherever you are.

Thank you.

Fair bit of snow in Prestonpans, I’d say somewhere around 15-20cm. Roads are bad but passable with care here. Unsure what it’s like on the A1 though. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mr Frost said:

Brother lives in Bowling, West Dumbartonshire directly on the North bank of the Firth of Clyde! Just amazing to see this much at sea level! (Just sent me a couple of pictures below.) 

Regarding the trough at lunchtime - it looks as though we are in for another hit! 

 

09643983-FEE0-420D-B07D-4868ED01D946.png

FA1F7A0C-F012-41EC-9339-E7B14E9DD072.png

8172A0D0-D6F7-4FDB-A137-BDD99BD4DB5F.png

My folks stay in Inverclyde, they are telling me the levels on top of cars is about 2 feet, and it looks like the cars are all merging into one line!. I think people near the Clyde have done even better than places like Renfrewshire/Paisley where I am. Hard to actually gauge what we have here, would say about a foot going by across the street's hedge.

Amazing to see the Beast stretching right over towards the US and then being sucked up into a Greenland high!

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=3.26,34.04,298

Edited by grifter
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Snowman09 said:

Fair bit of snow in Prestonpans, I’d say somewhere around 15-20cm. Roads are bad but passable with care here. Unsure what it’s like on the A1 though. 

That's really useful thank you.Not sure where to look to find out about the A1. I know Dunbar was closed last night due to the snow.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, richardc1983 said:

That's really useful thank you.Not sure where to look to find out about the A1. I know Dunbar was closed last night due to the snow.

TrafficScotland.org

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

some great pics there.  Less than that depth here in Morningside, but still the most we've had since Dec 10.  Still some fools driving too fast along treacherous roads here! (and a prize muppet who had cleared a small space on windscreen of snow, but left the entire car covered, including every other window...)

Edited by pdiddy
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe now this is better than March 2006/2010 and the Janurary 16/17 events combined. Seriously never known anything like this

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, richardc1983 said:

That's really useful thank you.Not sure where to look to find out about the A1. I know Dunbar was closed last night due to the snow.

Traffic Scotland website :)

I would suggest not travelling as conditions are awful.

 

Edited by CatchMyDrift
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pdiddy said:

some great pics there.  Less than that depth here in Morningside, but still the most we've had since Dec 10.  Still some fools driving too fast along treacherous roads here! (and a prize muppet who had cleared a small space on windscreen of snow, but left the entire car covered, including every other window...)

could be worse. some guy in my street left his car windows open and theres snaw all over the inside of his car !!

looks like incoming to Embra in next ten mins

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...