Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will get lost amid the avalanche of posts....scuse the pun. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN FOR ONLY THE SECOND TIME IN 7 AND A BIT YEARS I HAVE A MEASURABLE SNOWFALL!  Only a cm mind but a landmar

Let's just start with the money shot - both the ECM and the GFS agree that, as of Wednesday 12pm, the upper air temperatures will be sitting at -14/-15C over most of Scotland, the wind will be pretty

We had a bit of a struggle to get to the hospital this morning, the bus was 20 mins late and the taxi got fed up waiting and had gone. But we got there and hubby had the op, it's not cancer it's just

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Polar Gael said:

Fairly accurate. Just outside the red area here and we've been hammered. I'd be staying put if I were you. Stay safe. 

MOV_20180301_0705520~2.mp4

Conversely.....we were in the red area and have very little to show for it. Mostly just very cold, very fast fog ;-)

Edited by Benvironment
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm a gardener (don't laugh, in this weather!) Trouble is the folk I work for are mostly in London, leaving dogs for staff to deal with, I was rather gung ho yesterday when I said 'I'll be in, leave the dogs inside' but that's because I didn't want the dogs kicked out & left out at 6.30am. I've got to get there and back to feed them or they'll go hungry. Quite right in saying other vehicles are the problem, I can get through so long as there are none around, that said, I live on top of the Mendip hills so it could be tricky with the drifting. Sooner I go and all that.

Thank you!

• Like 3

Some great pics.   Seems we have got off extremely lightly on the north east coast.    Had another light covering overnight but nothing to get excited about.    Drifting appears to be the enemy of the roads up here at the moment.

Looks like the worst of the snow has now passed so hopefully some of you can get out and enjoy it while it lasts.  

1 minute ago, jethro said:

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm a gardener (don't laugh, in this weather!) Trouble is the folk I work for are mostly in London, leaving dogs for staff to deal with, I was rather gung ho yesterday when I said 'I'll be in, leave the dogs inside' but that's because I didn't want the dogs kicked out & left out at 6.30am. I've got to get there and back to feed them or they'll go hungry. Quite right in saying other vehicles are the problem, I can get through so long as there are none around, that said, I live on top of the Mendip hills so it could be tricky with the drifting. Sooner I go and all that.

Thank you!

Make sure you take supplies mate. The news here intereviewed a guy stuck on the motorway who only had two mars bars - take more than that,

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Hawesy said:

Still 5 hours to go until my prediction deadline....looks like a very mixed bag, on balance more miss than hit. 

For a few folks I underestimated a bit, here’s looking at you @mardatha @Cheggers, among others. For a few more I don’t think I’ll be far out @snowy owl @Ruzzi but for most of the Fife, Perth and Dundee contingent I predicted way more than has fallen (barring a miracle). 

Im giving myself 4/10 at this stage, certainly not up to the standard of my predictions during the January events.

Still, it’s all just fun and I certainly don’t take myself seriously. Still, I’m puzzled as to why there’s been a relative dearth of snow around north Fife, Perth and Dundee so if more knowledgeable members such as @lorenzo @LomondSnowstorm Or @CatchMyDrift can shed light on this I’d be grateful (and it might get @edo off my back) :D

The other thing I learned is, man, that Edinburgh contingent is demanding! I mean @101_North fair enough, I expect it, but it must be in the water! :D

I can't find your prediction for Moffat but I've just been for a wade around in the powder and it's truly impressive stuff from an Easterly *. It's hard to tell, what with the drifting, but there's somewhere between 15 to 20 cm of some of the most delightful powdery goodness outside the hoose, some much deeper drifts, and the snow showers are still rattling by. How's Hawesy-land looking ? :)

*Edit - usually, Moffat's weather is just pure cold, braw and sunny out of an Easterly, whether it's autumn, winter, spring or summer.

Edited by moffatross
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Make sure you take supplies mate. The news here intereviewed a guy stuck on the motorway who only had two mars bars - take more than that,

Will do.

1 hour ago, Mr Frost said:

@Cheggers is this you?

You are an absolute legend and deserve all the praise you get mate. 

4EE88320-FDFA-4956-9D06-9E1386A3C9EE.png

BD16D666-4329-41CC-B70A-6BE209625B4E.png

Not me, was outside with wife and eldest going car to car, but the twitter is us.

Edited by Cheggers
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Would hate to be stuck in one of these situations and I'm not "blaming" everyone who got stuck. But seeing on social media that some folk were somehow expecting to be checked in their vehicles by emergency services. How is that meant to work ? Hundreds of cars and lorries and only so many police and local authority workers who can deal with the situation. Crazy expectations folk have in these situations. 

• Like 3

Yet another shower complete with thunder clap a few minutes ago. Wild night with high winds, snow, lightning and the full works.

Stay safe everyone, it ain't over yet

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Just been out having a chat with the neighbours - no-one has made it out the street including myself. Cars just sitting all over the place and roads covered with drifting snow - truly incredible.

Back in the kitchen to make a wee cup of tea! Lovely view! 

8C75DA28-A148-428B-B4B5-E18076E2753B.jpeg

On my way to work this morning (walking it to Gorbals) and was like a ghost town with Castlemilk Drive especially quiet and pretty bad. As you say incredible, not far off 2010 for snow depth in this area of City.

• Like 1

Just seen a couple of pictures on twitter - first one is Dumbarton and second one is Alexandria. 

Just North of Glasgow city centre seemed to be getting pummelled all night and this morning - anyone in that zone? 

95C82492-153C-48F7-AFBF-08E7A3C6F4E1.png

67A4730C-A328-4327-80F0-9A0F2184AF90.png

• Like 1

Not 2010 level here either, not even close, but 2010 was truly exceptional around here with day after day of top ups. Didn't have much overnight here but this morning the showers are merging to give longer spells of quite impressive snow. In a lull I measured between 10 and 15cm in the back garden, which is quite sheltered. It'll be drifting higher elsewhere. 

IMG_20180301_085953.thumb.jpg.5017d12a31a0dab05ed422e0f084f248.jpg IMG_20180301_090123.thumb.jpg.20063b095d608c0a4f9954170ec64bbb.jpg

Edit: The cars and drive were cleared yesterday, even although we weren't going anywhere. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 6

I'm very interested (excited) to see how this afternoon pans out having seen a couple of of those Fax charts and the trough going right through the central belt. Just beginning to snow again here - should have a few "on and off" showers throughout this morning going by the radar. 

26 minutes ago, over_the_rainbow said:

Not a 2010 here buttt I'm still happy with a day off work and school. Plenty of snaw to sledge in, build snowfolk and for the dog to bounce in. I'm not driving anywhere today. :good:

otr

I quite agree... nothing like 2010, in fact I reckon about a third of that I think... currently at 7.5 cm / 3 inches or so, but still coming down (just checked and really heavy now for a change!) However, having had an approximately 2 mile or so walk in it this morning, it does temper ones enthusiasm somewhat.  Must also give a shout out to @101_North who was spot on about the school closures... exactly right mate, and I was certainly wrong to scoff :) 

Good luck to everyone today and stay safe!

Tim

• Like 2