Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will get lost amid the avalanche of posts....scuse the pun. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN FOR ONLY THE SECOND TIME IN 7 AND A BIT YEARS I HAVE A MEASURABLE SNOWFALL!  Only a cm mind but a landmar

Let's just start with the money shot - both the ECM and the GFS agree that, as of Wednesday 12pm, the upper air temperatures will be sitting at -14/-15C over most of Scotland, the wind will be pretty

We had a bit of a struggle to get to the hospital this morning, the bus was 20 mins late and the taxi got fed up waiting and had gone. But we got there and hubby had the op, it's not cancer it's just

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

Apologies, I don't know when this was updated or if it's been mentioned already, so hard to keep up with this thread today lol. But the latest fax charts for tomorrow afternoon , likely commencing sometime during the morning, have the areas slightly to the north of central belt and possibly the northern parts of the central belt taking another direct hit from an embedded trough. I'm not the best with fax charts so anyone feel free to elaborate 

IMG_8483.PNG 

Can I ask what that things is just off the north coast?? and does it mean I'm set for a total tonking??

6 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

Apologies, I don't know when this was updated or if it's been mentioned already, so hard to keep up with this thread today lol. But the latest fax charts for tomorrow afternoon , likely commencing sometime during the morning, have the areas slightly to the north of central belt and possibly the northern parts of the central belt taking another direct hit from an embedded trough. I'm not the best with fax charts so anyone feel free to elaborate 

IMG_8483.PNG

I will elaborate - SNAW :rofl:

• Haha 5
1 minute ago, GrrClark said:

Were those pics from up at Maspie Den?

The icicles ones were, yep. It was a tad slippy down on the rocks. It will take another week of subzero temperatures before the waterfall even considers starting to freeze though. It did so in 2010, amazing to see.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, More Snow said:

Can I ask what that things is just off the north coast?? and does it mean I'm set for a total tonking??

signals an area of converging flows i believe an area of increased precipitation 

Edited by drm

Probably the heaviest shower of the day blowing through the Ferry but I’m off to bed....lack of sleep catching up with me. :D

Looking forward to catching up with the snow totals in the morning, it’s been a day that will live long in the memory for many!:)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, More Snow said:

It’s an avalanche barrier. You see them on maps in the Alps  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

The icicles ones were, yep. It was a tad slippy down on the rocks. It will take another week of subzero temperatures before the waterfall even considers starting to freeze though. It did so in 2010, amazing to see.

Thanks.  I regret not walking up to see it in 2010, if it stays cold enough this time I will definitely head up.

• Like 1

OK - so I'm calling this in an hour early for @Hawesy. Still snowing on and off here but I've been out with the ruler and the level snow on the back grass is around 22 cm. You were under by 2! Great call sir :yahoo:

The drifts are unreal - pushing 40cm+ in parts of the garden. Been a truly memorable day after a fairly nervous start! 

Best thing about it is that it's not over yet! 

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 7
5 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Probably the heaviest shower of the day blowing through the Ferry but I’m off to bed....lack of sleep catching up with me. :D

Looking forward to catching up with the snow totals in the morning, it’s been a day that will live long in the memory for many!:)

That's here now. Heaviest since 2AM. Still needs to drop about 8cms in the next 45 mins to reach my target but you never know.?

• Like 2

Very difficult to estimate, but I'd say around 20-25cm of snow on the northern edge of Glasgow. Almost a direct hit from the heaviest falls! No doubt the Campsies will have even more. 

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, More Snow said:

We worked out earlier that it is a 'convergence line', but we didn't work out what it'll mean on the ground. Sounds promising to me, but no doubt you will soak up all the snow before it gets to me. 

:wink:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-43225270

Scottish skier days double last season's total

Scotland's mountain snowsports industry has already had this season more than double the number of "skier days" recorded for the whole of last season.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

We worked out earlier that it is a 'convergence line', but we didn't work out what it'll mean on the ground. Sounds promising to me, but no doubt you will soak up all the snow before it gets to me. 

That be the big hoover I brought up from Derbyshire when I moved..:rofl:

13 minutes ago, GrrClark said:

Thanks.  I regret not walking up to see it in 2010, if it stays cold enough this time I will definitely head up.

Top tip.....get there before family groups get up there cos the kids knock all the icicles off!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
38 minutes ago, frogesque said:

Hope this works :D

Thundersnow, couple of short vids taken about 20 mins ago

Pure mad mental!

try again lol

http://www.frogesque.com/ts28feb2018/ts1.AVI

http://www.frogesque.com/ts28feb2018/ts2.AVI

damn! I know the vids are there, anyone help?

having probs getting full links to work. Off to bed, will try to sort it tomorrow

Edited by frogesque