Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will get lost amid the avalanche of posts....scuse the pun. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN FOR ONLY THE SECOND TIME IN 7 AND A BIT YEARS I HAVE A MEASURABLE SNOWFALL!  Only a cm mind but a landmar

Let's just start with the money shot - both the ECM and the GFS agree that, as of Wednesday 12pm, the upper air temperatures will be sitting at -14/-15C over most of Scotland, the wind will be pretty

We had a bit of a struggle to get to the hospital this morning, the bus was 20 mins late and the taxi got fed up waiting and had gone. But we got there and hubby had the op, it's not cancer it's just

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, Staffordshire said:

What sort of totals have you guys got thus far, before the red warning has came into play?

Just measured there, we have 9 inches on the level and the drifts are well over a foot and a half, couple of drifts at the side of the garage are well over 2 feet. The red warning has about 18 hours still to go ?

Waiting for a lull to get some decently photos, still too mental as yet 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, JamesM said:

Got the word at work to abandon ship (on our own time!) and just in from a mental drive home. 

Heavy, deep, drifting snow which pushed the now well worn winter tyres to the limit.

Snowing and drifting at home but just south of the main action at the moment. 

Got problems as I had assured 'er indoors (who hates snow) that we wouldn't get much off an easterly here! 

IMG_3967.JPG

IMG_3989.JPG

IMG_3999.JPG

IMG_4003.JPG

IMG_4010.JPG

IMG_4021.JPG

Looks like the Beast is paying off for us Westies this time lol!

Edited by grifter
  • Like 2
18 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

This is the road outside my house...A ROAD!!!!! I honestly feel like just stripping all my clothes off and running along it!!!!! 

:yahoo::D

It’s still coming down thick and fast!!!! Can’t wait to measure this when the snow ends...WHICH IS DAYS AWAY!!!!!! It’s just INSANE!!!!!! 

ED35F448-2A55-4CBB-BD72-881DFBD76B57.jpeg

My mums from Croftfoot and used to say they had difficulty getting up the hill in the old days. Used to have to walk down to get the bus.

• Like 3
Just now, Snowlover2 said:

hoping That band to the east of the clear patch is heading straight for my hoose! 

807AFC06-BB5E-4E98-A53C-5A88DB2A6A1A.png

Me too - there's been a streamer no more than 2 miles to the north of here yet no more than a few flakes have reached the ground since 12.30pm. There's a lot of bright echoes in that stream and it does look very promising so here's hoping! 

• Like 2

4 Oclock BBC News reporting First Buses in Glasgow have suspended all services.

I checked their website and they have posted this message - UPDATE - Due to the adverse weather across the Greater Glasgow area, all First Buses will stop over the next hour. This decision has been made for the safety of our staff and customers.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

Please tell me I wasn’t the only one?

9BC10E45-EF7B-47BC-8A04-C5DC98FEBCCE.thumb.png.f624b69af00b3c32a8830204e68c2000.png61C8457A-84AD-44F0-A9AD-F14BC376ABE3.thumb.jpeg.1ca8bac0727be407a36b693e95a32eb4.jpeg

Haha no. I found Nessie loitering yesterday off the coast of East Anglia and sent her back to you - no doubt buried in the eleventy billion pages of my old regional thread. I think her sense of direction is as bad as mine...?

I SO wish I was back in Scotland!!! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20180228_152325.thumb.jpg.c4ade3586fea956fd2122787667279fa.jpgJust little further up from @Mr Frost in Stravanan (top end of Castlemilk). Sent home from work at 2pm and since the snow has been relentless, wouldn't even want to harzard a guess at how much we have. Good as it gets really. Should add photo below is one of the main roads which was cleared around half an hour ago!

20180228_152325.jpg

Edited by Bullseye
  • Like 6
5 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

Me too - there's been a streamer no more than 2 miles to the north of here yet no more than a few flakes have reached the ground since 12.30pm. There's a lot of bright echoes in that stream and it does look very promising so here's hoping! 

I can see the same band but looking South. It doesn't look too far away from this side either and we are getting a few flurries from it.