Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

1 minute ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Central Glasgow is now actually quite dangerous. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like it. The snow is drifting and being blown about, it must already be at least 20cm in places. Traffic is stuck on the slightest gradients and can only hope people heed the red warning as things could get really quite bad if this continues.

Dumbarton road a short while ago. Since then my daughter says it has got worse and has sent my wife a video. 

IMG_0075.JPG

• Like 6
  • Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will get lost amid the avalanche of posts....scuse the pun. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN FOR ONLY THE SECOND TIME IN 7 AND A BIT YEARS I HAVE A MEASURABLE SNOWFALL!  Only a cm mind but a landmar

Let's just start with the money shot - both the ECM and the GFS agree that, as of Wednesday 12pm, the upper air temperatures will be sitting at -14/-15C over most of Scotland, the wind will be pretty

We had a bit of a struggle to get to the hospital this morning, the bus was 20 mins late and the taxi got fed up waiting and had gone. But we got there and hubby had the op, it's not cancer it's just

Posted Images

1 minute ago, shuggee said:

18cm in my usual spot in middle of lawn. Lots has blown away mind. Wonder if we'll beat January's 33cm :blink2:

1 minute ago, shuggee said:

18cm in my usual spot in middle of lawn. Lots has blown away mind. Wonder if we'll beat January's 33cm :blink2:

I'd be surprised if you didn't ?

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Stormeh said:

You can usually see Glasgow in the distance from here, not anymore, getting absolutely pasted :D

2814281B-E831-49D3-A8C1-9A6C4E126A05.thumb.jpeg.0f80c86c09a5c68570cb24f0197071c1.jpeg

Just went a quick walk in it round the block - sheesh - like bloody arctic blizzard, could hardly see in front of me!

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, sn0wman said:

Wow! Insane that you're only 7 miles from me yet have more than 4 times as much snow.

Struck it lucky with that last batch that moved through. The extra wee bit of height must have helped too. Still snowing! 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, over_the_rainbow said:

What? Old Perth outside the red warning? :nonono: Happy with yellow or amber but would like some more snaw pretty please :)

Me too ? thought we were going to get more than this. Starting to give up hope showers track not moving.  ??‍♀️ 

• Sad 1

All terribly exciting but I'm sitting here a bit torn. Work at Grangemouth and my role is considered to be crucial for safe running of the plant. On nightshift tonight starting at 18.30 finishing at 06.30. Hmm what to do, work are considering sending out 4 by 4's to get us in but no good if the roads are jammed and I'd rather drive myself tbh, winter tyres etc.

• Sad 1

Ran out of words to describe this. If this keeps up then it's defo snowed in material. Roads are chaos, streets are chaos. Drifting across the roads, feet deep in some places. I couldn't even guess what the level snow depth is but it's bloody deep. I can't believe all this before the red warning has even came into force 

Proper photos to follow later 

this was harthill around 2pm though

IMG_8434.PNG

• Like 9
3 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Whiteout, extremly heavy snow, graupel mix -1.8C/ -6.3C

DSC_0023.JPG

Looked very black here but seems to have tracked just south of Thornton, still plenty of cloud about. Brighter to north towards Glenrothes.

51 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

There's a slight lull in proceedings here as the Forth snow monster gobbles up the showers and sends them hurtling through the Central Belt. I'm not too worried though - for a start we've already done pretty well (hard to get a level depth because of the drifting but my average depth was 13cm, as low as 8cm in places and as high as 20cm in some drifts) but also both the EURO4 and the NMM take the zone of prolonged pasting northwards from around 3-4pm while there's still easily enough to keep the fun going in the southern part of the red warning area. This is a very slow moving, intense feature hence the red warning but if you're a bit north of it I still think you should be in for a decent snowfall later on this evening and into tomorrow.

I hope so ?? @LomondSnowstorm I'm starting to get snow envy ?

1 minute ago, Stormeh said:

It’s epic just bloody epic! Amazing! You can shove a lemon in my mouth and I would still be smiling :D 

We usually cook the chicken with one up its bum, never smiles :oops:

• Haha 6