Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Do any of you live in the Lowther Hills? I would love to know the snow depths there. The webcam in Leadhills looks like there is some really deep snow in that area. 

IMG_2534.PNG

Edited by John_T
  • Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, John_T said:

Do any of you live in the Lowther Hills? I would love to know the snow depths there. The webcam in Leadhills looks like there is some really deep snow in that area. 

IMG_2534.PNG

The guy who installed that webcam posts on here (moffatross?) - I believe he is involved with the Lowther Hills ski club, which should get some action at the weekend.  The two villages in the area (Leadhills and Wanlockhead) only have a population of a few hundred each.  Was up there in December and it was difficult to park the car because all the lay-bys  and parking spaces were full of snow, but there is definitely a fair bit more now than the pre-Christmas snow.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Spindrift2017 said:

The guy who installed that webcam posts on here (moffatross?) - I believe he is involved with the Lowther Hills ski club, which should get some action at the weekend.  The two villages in the area (Leadhills and Wanlockhead) only have a population of a few hundred each.  Was up there in December and it was difficult to park the car because all the lay-bys  and parking spaces were full of snow, but there is definitely a fair bit more now than the pre-Christmas snow.

Ah, cool. I've been to Wanlockhead a couple of times as a scenic stop off on my way to The Highlands. Us lot down in North West England are having to live vicariously at the moment - we've had nothing but sleet, rain, and hail from this current spell. 

Edited by John_T
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, moffatross said:

I was up in Wanlockhead this evening to do some measuring up for a job, and I called in to the Hopetoun Arms at Leadhills to say hello on my way back out. There's a lot of snow, maybe 30-40 cm level on average, and most lay-bys are unusable so if you want to park, best carry your own shovel to dig a spot. The roads are clear enough just now, but were intermittently white with fresh snow tonight and there's quite a lot  of ploughings scattered about so wouldn't recommend driving them with a vehicle with low-profile tyres. Met up with a pal to had a wee headtorch ski on the hill to the north (Broad Law) of the road from Leadhills down to Elavnfoot, and lovely powder it was too :) ...

ski leadhills 2.jpg

Thanks for the information! Looks like there is a lot more to come. I wonder what the final depths will be.  

• Like 2

Posted

Roads people need to sort out their matrix messages - Cumbernauld through to Kirkintilloch on m 80 all showing Amber Warning and AVOID ROAD TRAVEL.

:)

Posted

Laughing at the met o warning:

After clearance of overnight rain and snow in the south of the area, we are back to the regime of clear or sunny spells and wintry showers. For one reason or another, ice is likely to pose a hazard across some areas this morning. Additionally, a further few cm of snow is likely across some of the high ground in western Scotland.

Well far be it from me to tell the MO why ice might pose a hazard? :)

On an aside, got a full snow warning for tomorrow from midnight till about 9AM for here, and then sporadic through the day. I will believe it when I see it though!

• Like 1

Posted

Glad I didn't stay up late for last nights predictable non-event here! Despite being under a Yellow warning, and a baw hair away from an Amber zone, I've woken to less snow on the ground than when I went to bed :rofl:

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, More Snow said:

I want know which one of you lot secretly erected a snow shield over my house????

I drove up there and left because of the queue :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, More Snow said:

I want know which one of you lot secretly erected a snow shield over my house????

These are actual snow shields. They do exist. 

SnowShieldProduct550x300montage.png

f3668787ee2d619879a8862552eb997f.jpg

Edited by Kerwin
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Woke up to less snow than there was last night ? @101_North @Hawesythink we need an easterly soon . 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Well, that non-event gave me 1 cm or so.

Currently snawin lightly aff some surprise wee shower that's popped oot o nowhere.

Back tae the salt mines though; road distinctly black.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
1 hour ago, 101_North said:

Glad I didn't stay up late for last nights predictable non-event here! Despite being under a Yellow warning, and a baw hair away from an Amber zone, I've woken to less snow on the ground than when I went to bed :rofl:

Same! I gave up at 23:00 and called it a night! 

Be interesting to see/hear how much snow Ayrshire/Borders got in the early hours of this morning? 

Woke up to see a couple of centimetres wiped off my lovely snow! :nonono:

The chase begins again later tonight/tomorrow - looking good currently. (Although the Metoffice APP will change about twenty times before it arrives) 

1AEE589C-C6E9-4DD6-9F44-D10B87CFDEC0.png

8DD13A00-AE37-4F6E-8FC6-D8825918F209.png

0228A6F1-09F2-44DB-A55A-D8D46C6D6FE0.png

18FEC9E7-C3EF-46B7-B084-29C826EE9F89.png

Edited by Mr Frost

Posted

Here's euro4's take on tomorrow's snow at the moment:

IMG_7739.thumb.PNG.33175a8102d240e42f81fe1ea0f2b651.PNG

IMG_7740.thumb.PNG.29233ba649bfc6e3c41adafd8a06c28c.PNG

IMG_7741.thumb.PNG.94332c62da3f4bb54d7a62b1a7ddea3b.PNG

which sees their accumulation chart go from this: 

IMG_7742.thumb.PNG.cc0311c33357facf2af893e9585201a6.PNG

to this by the end of tomorrow:

IMG_7743.thumb.PNG.89fba0a750eb8162b4961a808a573667.PNG

Im presuming that the MetO are devising the warning and will issue it later today for it as the only warning in place that I can see is for ice and wintery showers which expires at 11am this morning 

• Like 3

Posted

Not convinced on tonight/tomorrow morning yet - looks like it's weakening in 00z gfs?

BBC have me as heavy snow all night, which is a certainty to mean we're getting heehaw.

Again

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Well the snow didn’t come to much here last night after a promising start. Tonight into Friday looks interesting though with plenty more heavy snow showers forecast to come in from the west.

99A10F4B-C966-42F0-BE12-9784D4086800.gif

030F9C75-4C6D-473F-8C9F-E75E0439D26C.gif

7FB86C30-8F15-44D9-A60D-B2B101981048.gif

@Ruzzi beat me to it :p

Edited by Stormeh
  • Like 1

Posted

Yep just need to see how it plays out, should have a better idea as we go through today, hopefully the shower activity will start to pep up. The text update looks promising: 

IMG_7745.thumb.PNG.44bdf80800579d10a0c2215b04218a42.PNG

as does this:

IMG_7744.thumb.PNG.0827e387cb91e5edb28a66ed91010f93.PNG

but ofcourse we all know the forecast on MetO changes continuously, yet we all still look at it every wee while to see what it says and there's always that part of your kind thinking, oh that looks good ??

I'm still maintaining an amber warning for areas similar to Tuesday, especially with moderate to heavy falls being mentioned. 

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I got a wee covering on the cleared paths and odd flakes drifting down this morning. Icy and car frozen up.

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Last night's snow never looked like it was coming north despite the best wishes and hopes of people on here, including me. The band was rotating across the front which some people mistook for northwards progression. The Amber warning looked too far north as soon as it was released, hardly any of the latest charts took the precip as far north. Having said that the end result was the heaviest snow went slightly south, it could have just as easily jogged north like the big miss I had at the start of last year (think back to my snow measuring stick).

It's ironic here that we did so well off the showers the other night then the storm I had pinned my hopes to has melted half my snow. Always next time and an easterly sounds good now @snowy owl

You called it spot on, you'll likely see more snow again before tomorrow night from the same kind of direction as earlier in the week, just to add to your irony lol 

Posted
9 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It doesn't look as potent in the next 36 hours, I think normal service of showers fizzling out before they reach here will be resumed. At least I know what's possible now :)

Yep - agree with that. 

Having said that, MetO just went yellow for us...

Posted

I was up around 3am and it was moderate snow - but nothing like Tuesday.  Disappointing and a lesson in frontal ppn behaviour as CMD suggests!  Local roads still closed and we are running out of supplies.  Send a helicopter with a curry.

• Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It doesn't look as potent in the next 36 hours, I think normal service of showers fizzling out before they reach here will be resumed. At least I know what's possible now :)

Yep, I see your point, I just looked at the map and my geography was a bit out lol. Never realised just quite how far East Greenlaw was. I think the showers will reach west Linton at least, maybe even through towards heriot. In my head, I had Greenlaw due north of Hawick however. You'll maybe get some of the more intense showers managing to hold it together enough to give you a few flurries 

• Thanks 1