Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will get lost amid the avalanche of posts....scuse the pun. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN FOR ONLY THE SECOND TIME IN 7 AND A BIT YEARS I HAVE A MEASURABLE SNOWFALL!  Only a cm mind but a landmar

Let's just start with the money shot - both the ECM and the GFS agree that, as of Wednesday 12pm, the upper air temperatures will be sitting at -14/-15C over most of Scotland, the wind will be pretty

We had a bit of a struggle to get to the hospital this morning, the bus was 20 mins late and the taxi got fed up waiting and had gone. But we got there and hubby had the op, it's not cancer it's just

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, edo said:

you say that every snaw shower :D

just trying to wind me up.... no seen one for hours here

toys on edge of ra pram

I think @More Snow is just a weather forum snow bot.

He's not real, but a very clever Russian authored programme to ramp snow to the extreme. 

If you asking him probing questions, you might be able to trick him into eating yellow snow or something, proving this. :wink:

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8
5 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

I think @More Snow is just a weather forum snow bot.

He's not real, but a very clever Russian authored programme to ramp snow to the extreme. 

If you asking him probing questions, you might be able to trick him into eating yellow snow or something, proving this. :wink:

Rumbled!!! ha ha ha 

14 minutes ago, edo said:

you say that every snaw shower :D

just trying to wind me up.... no seen one for hours here

toys on edge of ra pram

We have had a couple of showers recently and more on the way so you may get some shortly. Temp has dropped a couple of degrees too so looking like an ice day. There was no dripping earlier in the sunshine!

13:30 on a Wednesday afternoon in late February 2018. :cold-emoji:

5a96aecc3cf56_ScreenShot2018-02-28at13_29_14.thumb.png.bbe8ca30430be00cd2e1ebb04712c8f8.png

Typical midday demand is apron 33 GW, we are up at 48 GW currently. Plenty to spare tho looking at the gas turbine usage. (CCGT) All good currently. Overnight that demand will intensify and put a bit of strain on the Network I would think.

5a96aedab5e69_ScreenShot2018-02-28at13_27_20.thumb.png.4793bdd186d7a98d3d332fa943e5af32.png

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, over_the_rainbow said:

I think we might get spells on and off later but the main bands steaming in look like they are going to be hitting south of us. 

As Tim said Euro 4 looks good later, maybe a repeat of last night where winds veer a bit more ENE and we will get pummelled.....law of weather averages one severe stream of showers will hit

1 minute ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Just been out to the local shop and must be getting on for 4/5 inches deep in places after that latest band of snow, roads are a mess ( be careful if you are out driving) and that easterly wind WOW

Im just the wrong side of the standinstane road, we've had nothing here now for an hour. 7 miles away

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Soaring Hawk said:

Ridiculously irresponsible of your niece’s boss. I hope she gets home safely.  

She is somewhere en route on the coast road in this, west of North Berwick... little hatchback car... at least she's with her boyfriend and they DO have an emergency-box in the car, and they've got experience driving in eg Iceland in winter, as well as up by Aviemore in snow, plus they both go running so are reasonably fit and outdoorsy, but all the same, I shall be happier when I know they're home safe... 

• Like 4

Wow what a blizzard there was for about half an hour! Think that deposited around 2 or 3 cm. 

Looks like there's a snow streamer setting up just south of Edinburgh. Hoping it starts moving north! 

Edit: Looks like 2 snow streamers are setting up. Quite impressive how Edinburgh managed to be just between both of them :D

Edited by sn0wman
  • Like 2