Sign in to follow this  
DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

2 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Quite simply - more organised conveyor belt of snaw! Keep an eye on the thread these are Met Office predictions from 5 am the steering of the flow may alter and LS or Catch will be along to update that via the mesoscale modelling as it updates during the day.. and of course check Sat https://en.sat24.com/en/gb/visual

I'll wait until the 06z Euro4 is out some time between 11am and 12pm :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, More Snow said:

that's the right idea mate, whats your location going to be when you move?

Near Tullynessle, which is to the north of Alford, half way up Sui hill.

I’m thinking many of us will be home bound tomorrow as well. Luckily I was off today anyway but I don’t fancy a commute to Edinburgh in this!

• Like 1

So weird that East Lothian seems to be the only place on the east coast where showers just disintegrate! Perhaps a stable layer somewhere around there? Or maybe the intense convection in the Forth is cutting off its supply of energy?

• Like 2

I hope those line of showers in the borders can start moving NW

• Like 1

It's like a eerie fog has descended all of a sudden but it's not it's blowing snow (with drifting)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sn0wman said:

So weird that East Lothian seems to be the only place on the east coast where showers just disintegrate! Perhaps a stable layer somewhere around there? Or maybe the intense convection in the Forth is cutting off its supply of energy?

I noticed this too. There seems to be a steady stream coming on land there, but it seems to die off before reaching Edinburgh.

14 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Troughs ! Someone's had a ruler out drawing those...

PPVE89.thumb.gif.c75530dd9f213dab4e7de956e604c74e.gifPPVG89.thumb.gif.8208cff7b3384ab97524ac8c9e817ee1.gif

On those charts, is there a special significance to the trough lines with the little angled side bars on them? For example, on the second chart there's one off the NE coast of Scotland, and one to the south of Ireland? I can't find a reference to those anywhere.

I have a rather mad photo to post but it won’t upload (tried from iPad and from phone). Anyone any ideas on fix ?

5 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

On those charts, is there a special significance to the trough lines with the little angled side bars on them? For example, on the second chart there's one off the NE coast of Scotland, and one to the south of Ireland? I can't find a reference to those anywhere.

It's prickly trough.

You can thank me later.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jamieson87 said:

I noticed this too. There seems to be a steady stream coming on land there, but it seems to die off before reaching Edinburgh.

Think we should watch this area here for Edinburgh:

image.thumb.png.f317dac4e9305c26a2efb4b4fc539566.png

(excuse the attempt at circling lol)

Edited by sn0wman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Serac said:

I have a rather mad photo to post but it won’t upload (tried from iPad and from phone). Anyone any ideas on fix ?

Does it say the file is too big? If so try to make picture smaller size or upload picture to laptop/pc and try from there.

• Thanks 1

after 5 mins of sunshine the darkness has come again and the blizzards are ragging again. I bloody love living in Scotland love it I tell ya whoop whoop whoop  

3 minutes ago, howham said:

I think they're convergence lines.  

Bingo!

Horizontal convergence is the coming together of two flows of air. When these two flows of air are from different air masses and significant cloud and weather result, the resulting line of convergence is commonly drawn as a front. However, when these two flows of air are in the same air mass and significant cloud and weather result, the weather feature is drawn as a convergence line. Convergence lines are only drawn in the tropics.

Now how that manifests itself in terms of weather is yet another question. Sounds as if it could be a bit more special than a plain old trough though.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Blair Witch Project? Not sure will investigate !

2 minutes ago, sn0wman said:

Think we should watch this area here for Edinburgh:

image.thumb.png.f317dac4e9305c26a2efb4b4fc539566.png

(excuse the attempt at circling lol)

Yes I was looking at that, looks like they showers will grow and get heavier when they hit land 

• Like 1

Drove through from lanarkshire this morning, that was fun, my car heater matrix had froze and temp guage all over the shop. Got to glasgow end of m74 and held for about 30 mins crawling, then at paisley turn off slow again. Was a blizzard when i got to about braehead. Even in town about 6 inch lying. Looking forward to tryin to get home the night. Office is empty lol.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Serac said:

If it's near or over 7mb it won't upload.

• Thanks 1

Currently having a shower which so far has lasted 20mins?   Looking at the radar, we seem to be on the northern periphery of a streamer in the Forth?   Wind direction has more of an easterly element now.

Oh my God, what a fright!   Huge thunderclap just now. Huge hail too.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 3

Husband's official front-garden-tape-measure-with-spirit-level total so far is .................. 9 inches!! :yahoo::rofl::cold:

And he's still oot playing with his shovel so that means loads more snaw imminent :closedeyes:

• Like 7

image.thumb.png.27df5a407e37412d88725458df58a91d.png

Certainly looks like it is organising. However, my guess is that it will be a little low for Edinburgh, if it holds anyway.

16 minutes ago, sn0wman said:

yes, the showers that land near say Eyemouth seem to explode as they track towards Lauder but the ones land around North Berwick / Dunbar quckly fizzle out. Very strange!