Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will get lost amid the avalanche of posts....scuse the pun. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN FOR ONLY THE SECOND TIME IN 7 AND A BIT YEARS I HAVE A MEASURABLE SNOWFALL!  Only a cm mind but a landmar

Let's just start with the money shot - both the ECM and the GFS agree that, as of Wednesday 12pm, the upper air temperatures will be sitting at -14/-15C over most of Scotland, the wind will be pretty

We had a bit of a struggle to get to the hospital this morning, the bus was 20 mins late and the taxi got fed up waiting and had gone. But we got there and hubby had the op, it's not cancer it's just

Posted Images

Just stared here again now. Snow is falling off the trees like dust, such powdery snow. -3c here and I estimate there must be around 4-6 inches at the moment. To think this isn’t even the main event for here yet and there’s potentially another 15-20cm plus yet to come! Also it’s that cold here, there are 4 inch icicles hanging from above the front door. 

Dare I say it but this feels a little like 09/10 ?

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Quinach said:

"Daddy, a beanbag has burst in the garden - look at all those beads" - weather digest from a six year old.

Snow total up to 2 inches now, the most recent showers being mainly snow pellets - readily blowing around in the wind.  Temperature overnight was down to -6C and now hovering around -2C.

Roads here are clear - local farmer was out at 03:15 this morning clearing the road past our house, dedication for you.

Thought there would be more than 2" of snow by now to be honest going by the radar images last night up to now - looks like a significant streamer hitting the area just to the north of Inverurie, the sky is black and ominious in that area.

and guess who is sat under that black sky?? ME :yahoo:

8 minutes ago, 101_North said:

About zero I would think unless I'm missing something. 

Oh well guess I'm stuck in work all day then ? Would only send us home under a red warning. Roads around here are terrible but still loving this snow ❄️❄️❄️

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, More Snow said:

and guess who is sat under that black sky?? ME :yahoo:

You really have ended up in a sweet spot this winter. I'm not really that far away and I haven't had nearly half the snow that you have. Roll on my move this summer...further inland and and additional 150m of height should help.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

You really have ended up in a sweet spot this winter. I'm not really that far away and I haven't had nearly half the snow that you have. Roll on my move this summer...further inland and and additional 150m of height should help.

that's the right idea mate, whats your location going to be when you move?

3 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Troughs ! Someone's had a ruler out drawing those...

PPVE89.thumb.gif.c75530dd9f213dab4e7de956e604c74e.gifPPVG89.thumb.gif.8208cff7b3384ab97524ac8c9e817ee1.gif

I'll take my chances with the first image especially :D

(unless I'm reading it wrong which is always a very real possibility)

2 minutes ago, jamieson87 said:

Excuse my ignorance, can you explain what a trough means in this context. The second one, seems to have a direct line though Edinburgh.. Am I right?

Quite simply - more organised conveyor belt of snaw! Keep an eye on the thread these are Met Office predictions from 5 am the steering of the flow may alter and LS or Catch will be along to update that via the mesoscale modelling as it updates during the day.. and of course check Sat https://en.sat24.com/en/gb/visual

• Like 1