Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will get lost amid the avalanche of posts....scuse the pun. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN FOR ONLY THE SECOND TIME IN 7 AND A BIT YEARS I HAVE A MEASURABLE SNOWFALL!  Only a cm mind but a landmar

Let's just start with the money shot - both the ECM and the GFS agree that, as of Wednesday 12pm, the upper air temperatures will be sitting at -14/-15C over most of Scotland, the wind will be pretty

We had a bit of a struggle to get to the hospital this morning, the bus was 20 mins late and the taxi got fed up waiting and had gone. But we got there and hubby had the op, it's not cancer it's just

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Well.... the kids have been out with the 30cm Helix and we have an upgrade of sorts..... 5cm on the grass :yahoo:

I'll measure mine when I go out, but it's less depth than yours for obvious reasons. To add insult to injury, from the window I can see what might be termed North Leith is at least occasionally getting blasted by some of whats passing us by in the Forth, whilst I sit here in sun-bathed South Leith. Taking this personally now ! Heres a wee selfie from a minute ago.

download (1).jpeg

Edited by Paul Martin
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 2
16 minutes ago, Paul Martin said:

Maybe but just north of east is what usually works best here in multiple previous setups. Basically I'm toys oot the pram just now, best thing is to go for a walk in what is currently a beautiful snowy day here (just not remotely snowy enough though!)

looking at the radar we can basically write off this morning - gutted. as the uppers are so good !

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Radar looks good for bits of Aberdeenshire just now. Showers mostly missing here this morning to North and South but did get one hit and the edge of a couple of others.

Av depth in back garden is around 10cms. Roughly 2 cms at East side to 18 cms on West side. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Paul Martin said:

I'll measure mine when I go out, but it's less depth than yours for obvious reasons. To add insult to injury, from the window I can see what might be termed North Leith is at least occasionally getting blasted by some of whats passing us by in the Forth, whilst I sit here in sun-bathed South Leith. Taking this personally now ! Heres a wee selfie from a minute ago.

download (1).jpeg

I'm remaining hopeful for later today. Not going near a single chart. Just going to work from home, drink too much coffee, look out the window and watch the sky, see what happens and turn to drink sometime this afternoon :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

"Daddy, a beanbag has burst in the garden - look at all those beads" - weather digest from a six year old.

Snow total up to 2 inches now, the most recent showers being mainly snow pellets - readily blowing around in the wind.  Temperature overnight was down to -6C and now hovering around -2C.

Roads here are clear - local farmer was out at 03:15 this morning clearing the road past our house, dedication for you.

Thought there would be more than 2" of snow by now to be honest going by the radar images last night up to now - looks like a significant streamer hitting the area just to the north of Inverurie, the sky is black and ominious in that area.

3 minutes ago, shuggee said:

15cm here in the western Borders. And here's the A701.  No-one has driven that for a long time...

IMG_20180228_091622.jpg

Vindicated ! I made the right decision to stay home. Even as I was driving back home to Moffat past Tweedsmuir last night, small drifts were already blowing through gates onto the white road. I can imagine there'll be some much more chunky drifts now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Right this greetin-faced soor-pussed toys-oot-the-pram man-child is going out into the snaw. The point is to enjoy it isn't it, not to sit here behind the keyboard all day pointlessly ranting at radar and isobars. Anyway @101_North and @JoeShmoe can keep up the high-quality Edinburgh whining in my absence :laugh:. Enjoy the snaw everyone !

• Like 3
  • Haha 4