Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
  • Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will get lost amid the avalanche of posts....scuse the pun. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN FOR ONLY THE SECOND TIME IN 7 AND A BIT YEARS I HAVE A MEASURABLE SNOWFALL!  Only a cm mind but a landmar

Let's just start with the money shot - both the ECM and the GFS agree that, as of Wednesday 12pm, the upper air temperatures will be sitting at -14/-15C over most of Scotland, the wind will be pretty

We had a bit of a struggle to get to the hospital this morning, the bus was 20 mins late and the taxi got fed up waiting and had gone. But we got there and hubby had the op, it's not cancer it's just

Posted Images

Posted
    13 minutes ago, 101_North said:

I feel nervous because at this point in time I have less snow than @Hawesy :(

Now I’ve actually been outside it’s probably more like 2cm to be honest so don’t feel bad. Hard to tell because of the drifting. Of course that’s an epic fall in Hawesy terms!:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Dundee schools are to open though colleges are closed. ?

I am a bit surprised though there hasn't been much snow since the middle of the night. My problem will be getting out of my own street which never gets cleared. Meanwhile my daughter sent me this from her window in Partick. Lots must have got through to the West.

IMG_0074.JPG

Edited by Norrance
    • Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: HOT SUNSHINE!

Husband doesn't take very good pics and gets annoyed when I moan - but won't give me his phone to do it myself :) It's blowing hard here so can't get a true reading until later when I go ootsude with a ruler and measure it properly. The two round humps are pails with coal in them. I hope.

imageedit_7_4257579755.jpg

imageedit_5_3313378732.jpg

imageedit_2_6816493522.jpg

• Like 7
    Posted
    3 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Dundee schools are to open. I am a bit surprised though there hasn't been much snow since the middle of the night. My problem will be getting out of my own street which never gets cleared. Meanwhile my daughter sent me this from her window in Partick. Lots must have got through to the West.

I’m getting the bus to St Andrews today as don’t have all season tyres. Just coming into central Dundee, maybe 3-4cm so a bit more than the Ferry as you’d expect.

Theres been a definite lull in the last few hours, be interesting to see how today pans out.

Posted
    24 minutes ago, Northern Strath said:

TV presenters were teaching people how to walk in snow there.... *TV is off now ?

Just quoted on radio that someone, somewhere has advised folk to wear non-slip shoes :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
    5 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

I’m getting the bus to St Andrews today as don’t have all season tyres. Just coming into central Dundee, maybe 3-4cm so a bit more than the Ferry as you’d expect.

Theres been a definite lull in the last few hours, be interesting to see how today pans out.

About double that out here though it has blown about. Strange that the colleges and even Dundee High, the private school are closed.

IMG_0073.JPG

Edited by Norrance
    • Like 1
    Posted
    3 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

SE Scotland / NE England must be getting buried - if only those bands were 50 miles north!

So no doubt I'll be labelled grumpy again but this isn't panning out how I imagined LOL

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow
    4 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

SE Scotland / NE England must be getting buried - if only those bands were 50 miles north!

I'm keeping an eye on the top band heading towards Berwick as it swings west. It may reach here, may not. 

Posted
    1 hour ago, GraemeB said:

Grangemouth/Falkirk about to experience The Day After Tomorrow snowfall....

? Blue sky and about same as you 6cm. Just off to sample the roads and head to work.

Posted
    8 minutes ago, ciel said:

Just quoted on radio that someone, somewhere has advised folk to wear non-slip shoes :D

Some of the cold spell coverage is gold as always!

I'm off out, no non-slip shoes on but I'm wearing 4 pairs of socks as will be outdoors all day and 3 didn't cut-it yesterday, legitimate chance a truck could run over my feet and I won't notice 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Windchill is savage today, amazing cloudscapes as the blobs roll through, a tame start here so far..

IMG_20180228_080005.thumb.jpg.a4d142a0b4cebf031363f71d9cdb1f08.jpg

Edited by lorenzo
    • Like 7
    Posted
    2 minutes ago, 101_North said:

So no doubt I'll be labelled grumpy again but this isn't panning out how I imagined LOL

looking at the radar as it is now (could change of course) no one in the central belt is getting 30cm any time soon ... you are if you are in one of those bands which i suspect is what was thought could effect here .. in effect here we had one decent shower at 11pm last night and thats been it .. 

all time to change however, we are only 2 hours into a 48 hour warning to be fair !

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

Even if we don't get much more snow what's on the ground is drifting like crazy. Roads have been ploughed but they're compacted ice with snow blowing over the top. Very dangerous.

20180228_074216.thumb.jpg.a8ca6c382efd9a2f41cfd8ac444df007.jpg20180228_071934.thumb.jpg.77955b012f2f39b37cb7c0a558c831da.jpg20180228_072232.thumb.jpg.cd0b2249602881c0bbb97c07df658a5c.jpg20180228_072719.thumb.jpg.04f069bad0dba5931d8bda318d2face3.jpg20180228_072330.thumb.jpg.32ff199c0a89f1fd03af9823eaae1230.jpg

• Like 9
    Posted
    2 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

all time to change however, we are only 2 hours into a 48 hour warning to be fair !

A good point. Euro4 shows better for here towards lunchtime. We'll see. Snowing heavily here at the minute but it will be brief as they have been so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning all.

--4.5c/-6.9c ENE.

I'm afraid I will be joining @101-North this morning and sharing his grumpiness!  as this area of Fife hasn't done as well as expected.   Still too much of a northerly element in the wind here which has led to a bit of a split  to the north  and the south.  Certainly haven't had any flashes or cracks.   Cold and breezy.   We must have picked up one or two showers overnight though and I would say we have about 4" level snow here.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: HOT SUNSHINE!

How can you see what's due to hit on Netwerather radar? I can only see the current picture. MetOffice radar still not working. Snow starting to really drift here.

Posted

Not just us, the South East has a warning too and looking at the radar there isnt one shower there aside from East Anglia !

Posted

Nice line of showers seem on a direct hit from N Sea to here.

Posted

-3 here in Aberdeen.   Maybe a cm of snow but nothing to cause any major disruption.   Most of the heavy stuff appears to have fallen mainly inland.