Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

Posted

Reporting in for duty. Lying snow in St Andrews and Dundee. Will be back in Broughty Ferry shortly!

• Like 5
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 6.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will get lost amid the avalanche of posts....scuse the pun. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN FOR ONLY THE SECOND TIME IN 7 AND A BIT YEARS I HAVE A MEASURABLE SNOWFALL!  Only a cm mind but a landmar

Let's just start with the money shot - both the ECM and the GFS agree that, as of Wednesday 12pm, the upper air temperatures will be sitting at -14/-15C over most of Scotland, the wind will be pretty

We had a bit of a struggle to get to the hospital this morning, the bus was 20 mins late and the taxi got fed up waiting and had gone. But we got there and hubby had the op, it's not cancer it's just

Posted Images

Posted
    Just now, Hawesy said:

Reporting in for duty. Lying snow in St Andrews and Dundee. Will be back in Broughty Ferry shortly!

Safe journey, pretty wild in the showers when they come.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Probably about 2cm here in Falkirk so far. 

It needs to be bad tomorrow or I'll be sitting in work with egg on my face having assured all the "oh it's never as bad as they say" brigade that actually this time it will be. 

Really hope I won't need to eat humble pie. 

• Like 2
    • Thanks 1
    Posted
    2 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

I wouldn't.

Given the Met Office's track record I would agree. I can't remember the last red warning for snow in a Scotland - I think Edinburgh in December 2010, maybe the highlands in either March 2011 or 2010.

There's still uncertainty over how much snow will fall and where. If confidence increases of the more than 15cm of snow and the impact on travel in the central belt then I think we have the best chance of a red warning for a while. Certainly, if this was London we'd be looking at a red warning.

Posted
    25 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

Latest Euro4:

Precipitation accum. EURO4 Th 01.03.2018 12 GMT

Slightly confused by Glasgow getting way more on their projections than anywhere a shower would need to pass over to get to them but otherwise it looks pretty promising...

I so could get buried by this. :shok:

• Like 1
    Posted
    20 minutes ago, jamieson87 said:

Another heavy spell for Edinburgh incoming. 

Screenshot_20180227-180348.jpg

I'm just about to head off to Tynecastle. :cold:

• Like 2
    Posted

Well... congrats to those who already have a substantial fall... I've got an icing sugar dusting here... plenty of showers but they aren't lying except when very heavy and then were quickly melting.  Starting to get extremely nervous as now expecting this to be a busted flush, but surely not :) 

Good luck again all!

Tim

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Home for 6pm to the snaw kicking in here!

Big Innes

IMG_20180227_181330.jpg

• Like 5
    Posted

Heavy shower again.

Schools announcing almost by the minute of closures, all Falkirk now closed tomorrow, so check local sites.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Location: Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire (this lockdown) Freuchie, Fife (normally)
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
  • Location: Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire (this lockdown) Freuchie, Fife (normally)
    7 minutes ago, TinyTim said:

Well... congrats to those who already have a substantial fall... I've got an icing sugar dusting here... plenty of showers but they aren't lying except when very heavy and then were quickly melting.  Starting to get extremely nervous as now expecting this to be a busted flush, but surely not :) 

Good luck again all!

Tim

I wouldn't worry too much - there's a lot of time still left in this and anything that falls now will lie readily. It's maybe been a bit too northerly for Perth to get very lucky just yet but we're running the full spectrum of easterly angles over the next few days so I'm sure you'll get your fill! 

Looks like a couple of inches here with another shower incoming. 

• Like 2
    Posted
    9 minutes ago, howham said:

Not much here at home.

That's done the trick.  Snowing now!!

Posted
    1 minute ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

I wouldn't worry too much - there's a lot of time still left in this and anything that falls now will lie readily. It's maybe been a bit too northerly for Perth to get very lucky just yet but we're running the full spectrum of easterly angles over the next few days so I'm sure you'll get your fill! 

Looks like a couple of inches here with another shower incoming. 

Cheers LS :)

I've lurked on this forum since before 2010 and don't generally post a huge amount, but very nice to see you and your expert wisdom back just in time for the cold spell!

Tim

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunshine

if the met office is to give an red warning when would they do it cause surely they wont leave it til the very last minute...

here in whitburn an other heavy shower that is heavy compare to the last one

Posted

First really wild blowing snow shower just started get a feeling it won"t be the last. Currently 0c

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Kids currently dancing around making whoop whoop noises 

Screenshot_20180227-184051.png

Posted

Yup all school in Falkirk Council catchment closed tomorrow. I have a couple of thrilled kids here!

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

I can't see a red warning. Happy to be proved wrong as long as everyone is safe :)

Decent covering in Larbert noo.