Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will get lost amid the avalanche of posts....scuse the pun. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN FOR ONLY THE SECOND TIME IN 7 AND A BIT YEARS I HAVE A MEASURABLE SNOWFALL!  Only a cm mind but a landmar

Let's just start with the money shot - both the ECM and the GFS agree that, as of Wednesday 12pm, the upper air temperatures will be sitting at -14/-15C over most of Scotland, the wind will be pretty

We had a bit of a struggle to get to the hospital this morning, the bus was 20 mins late and the taxi got fed up waiting and had gone. But we got there and hubby had the op, it's not cancer it's just

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Boydie said:

Took the boy to school this morning nice dusting here at 0630, I'm a Firefighter up at Lochgelly, and as you may know the highest town in Fife. I'm night shift tonight so I put money on it being busy. It amazes me how bad some folk drive in this weather.

I don’t drive in the snow simply because I don’t have the experience so once we’re home after today’s school run I don’t imagine we’ll be back out for the next few days. I’m in Kinross and have to drive him to Kelty so he’ll be happy with some days off school lol 

• Like 1

Had a good wee spell 30 mins or so ago that cleared to a lovely blue sky and now back into showers again.  

In the clear spell and looking out ESE over the mouth of the estuary it was smashing to see the convective clouds starting to build and tower.  Reassuring to actually see evidence of that happening that is not just on a laptop screen.

• Like 1

The ECM precip charts and other models have most of the precipitation for the central belt tomorrow and Thursday. Could just be me but here at least anyway, there seems to be a gradual toning down of the amount being forecast. I know those automated symbols on the MO website aren't much of a guide but compared to a few days ago, there's very dark cloud "heavy snow" symbols. The ECM precip charts have an epic amount of snow for tomorrow for Edinburgh on Yr.no.

1 hour ago, Sam Mithell said:

Noticed met office had downgraded Perth to 1 snowflake symbol tomorrow ... i assume the main activity will be just south of Perth or still time to change? 

latest euro 4 had us just in the heaviest stuff.... wind direction seems good and whatever happens despite my wobbles yesterday i think its gonna be between great and epic rather than great or rubbish.... 

i also think we will see the north sea stuff reach here more and more so potentially have 3 or 4 cm. before the main band hits whether that be the juciest bit of the band or not id expect 10 cm by end of tomorrow at least 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Sawel said:

The ECM precip charts and other models have most of the precipitation for the central belt tomorrow and Thursday. Could just be me but here at least anyway, there seems to be a gradual toning down of the amount being forecast. I know those automated symbols on the MO website aren't much of a guide but compared to a few days ago, there's very dark cloud "heavy snow" symbols. The ECM precip charts have an epic amount of snow for tomorrow for Edinburgh on Yr.no.

where is the toning down sawel is it the models your looking at or do you mean text updates? 

i should have a met update in the work shortly so will keep u all posted 

7 minutes ago, Quinach said:

When I say "toning down" I mean from epic amounts being forecast by the likes of ECM a few days back to sizeable amounts. Plus, I'm just referring to this area (Dundee). On the MO website, it changes all the time but I notice it's much less inclined to show anywhere near the amount of heavy snow symbols compared to areas across the central belt for tomorrow and Thursday.

Sorry - no idea why it has quoted Quinach @edo

Edited by Sawel
2 minutes ago, Paul Martin said:

First "proper" 2010-style snow shower hitting Leith just now. A few more direct hits like that on the radar and we'll be on the way.

Nothing to report over the other side of Edinburgh by the airport just now.

Is it lying?

6 minutes ago, Paul Martin said:

First "proper" 2010-style snow shower hitting Leith just now. A few more direct hits like that on the radar and we'll be on the way.

Nothing to report over the other side of Edinburgh by the airport just now.

Is it lying?

On 23/02/2018 at 22:36, LomondSnowstorm said:

Hi everyone, long time no see!

You were much-missed even by emigrants like me (still settling-in down in Telford, Shropshire, but a sudden foot of snow in early Dec helped with that!). 

Very lovely to see you back again. You should see the huge grin I've got from seeing your name back up in here where it belongs!

• Like 2