Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will get lost amid the avalanche of posts....scuse the pun. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN FOR ONLY THE SECOND TIME IN 7 AND A BIT YEARS I HAVE A MEASURABLE SNOWFALL!  Only a cm mind but a landmar

Let's just start with the money shot - both the ECM and the GFS agree that, as of Wednesday 12pm, the upper air temperatures will be sitting at -14/-15C over most of Scotland, the wind will be pretty

We had a bit of a struggle to get to the hospital this morning, the bus was 20 mins late and the taxi got fed up waiting and had gone. But we got there and hubby had the op, it's not cancer it's just

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Sawel said:

You will get your fill of snow and then some. There will be a very strong wind to accompany the snow showers so they'll definitely blow through to you. I remember in 2010, for a few days there was a very slack flow and areas right on the coast were under an amber warning whereas a few miles inland, there was no warning because the showers hugged the coast only.

Some areas will see easterly winds right up until Sunday with Wed/Thurs/Fri looking like the main days. Even Saturday has potential (at the moment).

This is the reassuring words I needed

Now I also need a couple of cms tomorrow lying on the AstroTurf so I can call the kids footy off as there always wired on a Tuesday night and I'd like to spend the time radar watching instead of coaching 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Thanks Lorenzo for reminding me via 'sticky note' (I go away for a year and suddenly I feel like an old man trying to work out what 'the facebook' is) of the 500s - this is a helluva figure for an easterly: 

daf.thumb.gif.aff8b6ef60ff11ece148a3eb84ab5cfa.gif

Going to do a bit of archive searching to see the equivalent figures for notable beasts...

• Like 6

MO warning always confusing. On the page where I have my location it's got amber warning for Wednesday, then when you click on it there is only a yellow warning for my area, although it does say Glasgow/Bishopton for Amber warning, but amber only covers Glasgow, not Bishopton area. I'm actually in Paisley and no idea how I got Bishopton, but it's only about 2 miles away and I think that is where the official MO weather station is. Call me pedantic!

Edited by grifter
  • Haha 2
8 hours ago, Stormeh said:

Check oot the scary face in the North Sea :O

FE77626C-32E7-48EA-AE52-32E73E3FEB23.thumb.png.61aa48f68a9c071cfd61b1f20b12b4e0.png

We’re doomed! 

That's the snow shield being pushed out of the way! Was on the sauce, slept in and got caught out by the beast!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

Thanks Lorenzo for reminding me via 'sticky note' (I go away for a year and suddenly I feel like an old man trying to work out what 'the facebook' is) of the 500s - this is a helluva figure for an easterly: 

daf.thumb.gif.aff8b6ef60ff11ece148a3eb84ab5cfa.gif

Going to do a bit of archive searching to see the equivalent figures for notable beasts...

Aye its aboot time ye put some focus back on this forum :nonono:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
30 minutes ago, edo said:

Where's @over_the_rainbow??? Maybe away doing a snow dance 

Here Sir! .....apparently I wasn't logged in though :fool:.

I was keeping an eye on thread when I was at work earlier. Never fear there be snaw aboot so I isnae far away! 

Are we looking at seeing something tomorrow or are we looking to Wednesday? Or to put it better do I need to keep refreshing raintoday tomorrow or can I let it go (let it goooo:cold:) for tomorrow?

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, over_the_rainbow said:

I was keeping an eye on thread when I was at work earlier. Never fear there be snaw aboot so I isnae far away! 

Are we looking at seeing something tomorrow or are we looking to Wednesday? Or to put it better do I need to keep refreshing raintoday tomorrow or can I let it go (let it goooo:cold:) for tomorrow?

I'd say everyone should be on peak 'snow-watch' from tomorrow morning until, well, Sunday (with perhaps a lull Friday)? Wednesday is a better bet certainly both temperature and precip wise but I'd be a little surprised if there wasn't at least an inch of snow by tomorrow evening in Perth

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, over_the_rainbow said:

Ahhhhhhh nice to see your here..... A couple of cms tomorrow hopefully as a starter for wed and Thurs main courses.....need to panic buy snowboots for the eldest tomorrow who announced not looking fwd to snow as feet were cold last time because only had wellies......no child of mine will not look fwd to snow.......she seemed happy once new boots were confirmed

So i have now promised snow and new snow boots....... Don't let me down Perth city centre and weather gods

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Yey @LomondSnowstorm that would be marvellous. Do hope you are setting a trend that everytime you revisit the forum that you bring the snow with you. :friends:

Good wellies are indeed a must! (Though i am partially scandalised that you are willy-nilly using the S word out loud before it has arrived. Playing fast and loose with the snaw gods @edo). 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just had to forcibly shove the dogs out for their nighttime 'business'. Absolutely bitter outside. Think the youngest Lab may have broken the land speed record getting back in. 

I hope to see a snaw dusting in the morning (who am I kidding, I will be up at least twice for a lampost stare).

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any connections in Guernsey? Looks like they're taking an absolute hammering from the radar 

IMG_8315.PNG

Yup looks like a nice little streamer through the channel

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any connections in Guernsey? Looks like they're taking an absolute hammering from the radar 

IMG_8315.PNG

They got this from the 2013 Chanel streamer. WOW!

5a949a6a67fda_ScreenShot2018-02-26at23_37_07.thumb.png.115d95f6e6639554b1daa9d44fbb03df.png 5a949a716d5c5_ScreenShot2018-02-26at23_37_15.thumb.png.67f5abfef3578731b4898244dc6db172.png 5a949a77c447a_ScreenShot2018-02-26at23_37_27.thumb.png.456c4e27c1f14a969bcc842a3bd2ad28.png

• Like 7