Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

All going the right way at Edin Airport. Normally an east wind throws up a bit of estuary warmth and keeps it a few degrees above. But not in this situation and dew points have been steadily dropping. Game on.

Screenshot from 2018-02-26 18-00-48.png

• Like 5

Posted

I've had an east & west perspective today. Was through in Edinburgh for an overnight with my dad and wife for a joint 70th. It was an amazing day yesterday. Goldilocks it round some bars for food & drinks interspersed by some cold walks.:drunk-emoji:Took some photos down by the Water of Leith yesterday.

Walked to Waverley station via Leith Walk this morning and it was snowing very lightly and was very cold. Train journey to Clarkston via Glasgow Central was very picturesque. Got off the train at Clarkston to be greeted with light snow which followed us eastwards. Nice to see and hopefully a sign of things to come this week.

Bearing in mind the recent upgrades in warnings... Am I going to need a bigger shovel?:fool:

IMG_3655.JPG

IMG_3661.JPG

IMG_3665.JPG

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

The ultimate problem is that Scotrail is run by a private company and not the Scottish government.

The train operator should be getting the blame.

Slightly off topic here but I believe the leasing of the trains is arranged by Transport Scotland or is part of the franchise agreement. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Actually really quite shocked by this met office warning...

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2018-02-28&lat=55.8643&lon=-4.2505

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

im getting a small bit of fear.... nearly every precip chart i look at has a gap at us..... ive been so confident too

last minute wobbles

dont panic @TinyTimits just ive promised everyone snow and feeling the pressure :D

• Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I do this too, text and no pics :)

lol, ive been on a train this pm. got to preston and been told by work to go home as all travel cancelled due to weather .. so been sampling the delights of the pub at preston station :-)

#utterwasteofaday

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.
1 hour ago, Hawesy said:

What and forego that urgent flatpack wardrobe from IKEA? What world are you living in? :D

I think that's where Darwinian selection may come in...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.
35 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Very much a go, go, go...we are ready for blast off.

Aye, buckle up!

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, edo said:

im getting a small bit of fear.... nearly every precip chart i look at has a gap at us..... ive been so confident too

last minute wobbles

dont panic @TinyTimits just ive promised everyone snow and feeling the pressure :D

funny thing that, i've been seeing that as well and feeling the very same.

Posted

Had a wee flurry this afternoon definitely powder snow going to cause some major issues where the worst  will hit . Stay safe everyone and enjoy the snow ⛄️ I’ll be lucky to scrape a 1 cm ??

• Like 2

Posted

I see in the model thread (my first visit in several weeks) there's something of a post mortem under way as it's been suggested that Friday's storm coming from Portugal may deliver rain. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

I see in the model thread (my first visit in several weeks) there's something of a post mortem under way as it's been suggested that Friday's storm coming from Portugal may deliver rain. 

That's their punishment for the state of that thread these days!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
14 minutes ago, cscrim said:

funny thing that, i've been seeing that as well and feeling the very same.

glad im not being paranoid lol

im sure its just a glitch and we dont have some magical snow shield

the way this is all set up has always delivered for perth and surrounding area 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Omg! The excitement builds !!!  That amber warning surely will become a red. Yikes up to 40cm. 

I cannie really think of the last time we had huge snowdrifts along our local roads here, I’m thinking early eighties 85? (although we did have a short lived easterly dumping in 2000 ish (Edinburgh had a lot less snow, but mid and East Lothian were battered) I couldn’t get into work in Midlothian from Edinburgh . 

• Like 2

Posted

It's actually been quite a nice day here. The breeze dropped, the sky cleared and there were long sunny intervals.

Have to admit I spent a lazy hour or so late afternoon cloud watching. They appeared to be "holding station" over the hills but gradually  stretched, dissipated and reformed. Fascinating.

Back to reality and decisions, I have time limited reasons to visit Ellon tomorrow - should I travel or not? Probably best to wait and review  tomorrow morning's conditions.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow
19 minutes ago, Michael Kaii said:

quick question people what would you think the amount of snow i will get in west lothian?

Hunners :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
1 hour ago, Sawel said:

I'm off work this week (self-employed) due to the severity of the weather forecast as I work outside. I haven't experienced a proper easterly blast up here in the extreme NW of Dundee. I wasn't living here during 2010 - I lived closer to town. I'm looking forward to see how many cms I can get.

We have friends that live in Troon Gardens off Dalmahoy Drive and others just further up in Larchhfield. They often have snow when most of Dundee has wet snow, sleet or rain. In 2010 they had a good 10 cms more than here and we had 40Cms+ by the 3rd Dec. Jan 2013 was a good example where the snow was wet here but drier up there meaning we had only 10 cms or so but they had 30+. You should do well.!

The West and North side generally does better than the town centre and East as Hawesy has found out recently.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Norrance said:

We have friends that live in Troon Gardens off Dalmahoy Drive and others just further up in Larchhfield. They often have snow when most of Dundee has wet snow, sleet or rain. In 2010 they had a good 10 cms more than here and we had 40Cms+ by the 3rd Dec. Jan 2013 was a good example where the snow was wet here but drier up there meaning we had only 10 cms or so but they had 30+. You should do well.!

The West and North side generally does better than the town centre and East as Hawesy has found out recently.

I'm even further up past there - I'm just past St Marys (Brackens area) up near Clatto. It can be quite strange leaving a snowy environment to then be surrounded by green fields and sleet only a couple of minutes down the road! I believe a lot of rooves collapsed up around here back in 2010 due to the weight of the snow, particularly in Ardler as many houses there were of a particular design.

Edited by Sawel
  • Like 1