Snow?

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will get lost amid the avalanche of posts....scuse the pun. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN FOR ONLY THE SECOND TIME IN 7 AND A BIT YEARS I HAVE A MEASURABLE SNOWFALL!  Only a cm mind but a landmar

Let's just start with the money shot - both the ECM and the GFS agree that, as of Wednesday 12pm, the upper air temperatures will be sitting at -14/-15C over most of Scotland, the wind will be pretty

We had a bit of a struggle to get to the hospital this morning, the bus was 20 mins late and the taxi got fed up waiting and had gone. But we got there and hubby had the op, it's not cancer it's just

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

The wife keeps asking me why I am always on my phone and not listening to her when she asks me something. I told her I am on the NW forum and checking weather charts for next weeks snow potential. She looked at me and told me to grow up, how dare she say that! I want a divorce! :closedeyes::rolleyes::laugh:

This is grounds for immediate divorce, get the lawyer called in the morning.

My wife understands the severity of the situation so well that we've discussed the diffculties ahead due to the forthcoming rain filled week and the potential for being rained in at some point. Snow is a four letter word that shall not be spoken in advance.

• Like 2

Any bets on who will be the first to report falling snow? Am I right that eastern coastal areas may not be quite cold enough for snow initially?

(It certainly won't be me - Beijing hasn't had any precipitation at all since late October!)

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Sam Mithell said:

Daft question time lol.... With a Forth streamer... Can Perth be affected by this? Just really hoping we get lots of snow...

Perth needs a Tay streamer which I think requires a ENE wind direction. Might kick off during this spell at some point but not looking awfully like atm.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, su rui ke said:

Any bets on who will be the first to report falling snow? Am I right that eastern coastal areas may not be quite cold enough for snow initially?

(It certainly won't be me - Beijing hasn't had any precipitation at all since late October!)

I am not sure who will be first but it'll be tonight into tomorrow that it happens :)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, edo said:

:rolleyes:correct Tim that and the actual charts in front of us and the whole lack of marginality.... everything is in our favour for once..... theres always a chance the heaviest of showers always miss us and you get a bit of a let down but that seems unlikely or of course that convectivity is less than we anticipate which is also unlikely..... 

Edo

Brilliant :) I hope that you, and everyone else gets our deepest snowiest desires satisfied this week, and if not, oh well :)

Assuming it does snow, I'm planning on taking my camera with me everywhere... my one regret about the 2010 spell is that I didn't take any pictures, so not making that mistake again!

Tim

Just now, AFC Snow said:

Hoping for similar scenes to the March 2006 event here. The wind is obviously easterly instead of northerly but it is looking good.

Yes.  Similar dates too.  I remember that spell actually started the last days of Feb.  IIRC the thundersnow was 3 March.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, howham said:

Yes.  Similar dates too.  I remember that spell actually started the last days of Feb.  IIRC the thundersnow was 3 March.

Certainly the best week of snow in my lifetime and my favourite weather event. Anything close would be very welcome indeed.

8 minutes ago, AFC Snow said:

Certainly the best week of snow in my lifetime and my favourite weather event. Anything close would be very welcome indeed.

Personally, I think Nov/Dec 2010 was better here but by that point I was no longer living in Aberdeen city.  2006 was certainly very impressive though.

The 06z Euro4 is out with snow for the east on Tuesday morning at +48hrs. The main pulse of precip goes south on this run but time for it to change and it's not really an issue when we've got showers to come afterwards:

euro4plus48.thumb.jpg.292ed7223a8b2396bb364450db2fbfbe.jpg

The Euro4 is available here:

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=euro4&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=prec&HH=48&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

• Like 3

Busy in here. Is it going to snow?

Another day of wall to wall sunshine. Felt cold yesterday and colder today. Ground still frozen in the shade.

Still hopeful I will see a bit of snow making it west if a few features pop up in the flow. Looking a great event for all you in the east.

• Like 1

Interesting that the MetO automated forecast has me in an ENE wind direction from Tuesday to Saturday, with the exception on some occasions where it turns due easterly, SE or ESE doesn't feature once which I was quite surprised at 

5 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

Interesting that the MetO automated forecast has me in an ENE wind direction from Tuesday to Saturday, with the exception on some occasions where it turns due easterly, SE or ESE doesn't feature once which I was quite surprised at 

Why were you surprised? (curious :) )

I just have one concern about the upcoming cold spell this week...my girlfriend is due to give birth on March 5th and the worst case scenario would be for the wee bugger to announce his arrival early during a Clyde streamer while I am in lamp post watching mode or out enjoying it! :rofl:

We have narrowed the name down to two...but I’m still trying to throw a weather related name into the hat! (she will never go for it but worth at least the discussion!) Any you can think of? (it’s a boy)

I actually had the name Storm down for a girl so my plan was ruined - Stormzy for a boy maybe? :D

• Like 9
1 minute ago, Mr Frost said:

I just have one concern about the upcoming cold spell this week...my girlfriend is due to give birth on March 5th and the worst case scenario would be for the wee bugger to announce his arrival early during a Clyde streamer while I am in lamp post watching mode or out enjoying it! :rofl:

We have narrowed the name down to two...but I’m still trying to throw a weather related name into the hat! (she will never go for it but worth at least the discussion!) Any you can think of? (it’s a boy)

I actually had the name Storm down for a girl so my plan was ruined - Stormzy for a boy maybe? :D

These are really rubbish but here goes:

Geoffz (GFS)

Eazy-M (ECM)

Thunder

Al (Altostratus)

Strath (Stratosphere)

Phileas (Fog)

Del (Deluge)

Although perhaps the most important name of all is to call him son (Sun), as he'll always look to you as his hero and as someone that brings him life and looks out for him, just like the sun does for all of us.

• Like 5
8 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Its got to be Blizzard

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

You are Mr Frost so how about Jack? 

Jack Frost :D

• Like 1

Good luck @Mr Frost and Mrs Frost!!

I have a snow baby too! I spent a week in ninewells hospital glued to this forum watching out a window at the lampposts ? Last thing I remember before being put under for an emergency section was the surgeon saying, you can tell your baby it just started snowing as she was about to be born! It snowed the day we left the hospital then snowed the day we went to register her birth!

• Like 8