Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
16 minutes ago, ghoneym said:

Night shift. Dalgety Bay. Radar watching. Had an inch and a half in the last hour, just hope my handover makes it in the morning from falkirk ? can't upload pic for some reason, will do when i can. In terms of the low incoming I think it's pretty much just been watered down to gusty breeze pretty much

The Reporting Scotland forecast suggested that the snow on the northern flank might miss Scotland altogether, whereas the national forecast still had the track of the system further north with snow as far north as the Central Belt.  I suspect the snow warning area for tomorrow night might slip south a bit, but going to adopt the ‘wait and see’ method...once there’s actually snow on the ground it seems to matter less!

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Sure all their pavement 'plough' does half the time is compress the snow into ice and then polish it! Be better leaving it alone :wallbash:

I said this early this morning when the school head was in the playground making a path in the snow.......a path of ice!!! :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms

Had some good showers here today and one rumble of thunder earlier.  Stuck the ruler in the garden a wee while ago out of curiosity. 

26731648_167244497335450_7001151523599581886_n.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

Another heavy but brief shower rattling through. After that the radar looks patchy for here - which was forecast. I'm sure we'll catch a few more brief showers overnight and then see if tomorrow's low gets corrected to something more favourable! 

Time for bed. Great fun today :D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
2 minutes ago, Snowlover2 said:

I said this early this morning when the school head was in the playground making a path in the snow.......a path of ice!!! :nonono:

The council here used to have a pavement gritter which actually did a half-decent job for folk who are less steady on their pins, even if the result is an aesthetic disaster. Not seen it for a few years though.

I went out for a potter this evening. I was out for 90 minutes and saw not a soul :cc_confused:  I went up into the woods and at one point almost spooked myself with my own shadow :rofl:

The most interesting bit was doing the detective work on the footprints from earlier to deduce when the snow had fallen.  I got up to about 180m and a couple of km from the shore and there was about 6cm of lying snow, compared to the 2cm here. It looked like the extra 4cm had fallen early in the day as there were many footprints, with just the extra 2cm still untouched.

The radar currently shows me getting obliterated - some rather pathetic snizzle drifting around.  This is the first proper westerly snow event I recall here (I will stand corrected by NL perhaps) and it hasn't delivered in the way a northerly does. YET. C'mon...

• Like 3

Posted

Drivers stranded on M74 as snow sweeps Scotland

I've taken the headline from the BBC News Webpage and the link is below. It looks like the M74 is closed between Millbank and Beattock and drivers are stranded.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-42712588

Posted
11 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The low tomorrow night is looking slightly too far south to be very useful for many of us although a small jump north brings some of us into the firing line. It's close:

Screenshot_20180117-000221.thumb.jpg.1a0c219be043b5a6b73676e2e635db59.jpg20180117_000322.thumb.png.25a8aae633b5f2792f0e1818d01283cb.png

After today's snow it would have been fantastic to have a frontal snowfall deliver at least another couple of inches to the total. At least we don't have to worry about the mild sector and there are other opportunities for snow during the rest of the week - Sunday could see snow on leading edge of the front. 

Posted

Still an interest to come tomorrow too, MetO going for heavy snow from 8am - 5pm here which if I'm honest, will really start taking things into the ridiculous if it adds to the current accumulations. Current depth is 22cm, just shy of 9 inches but drifts are in places a couple of feet deep. Pictures to follow shortly. 

P.S avoid the shotts / harthill areas and the vicinity of for the time being because the roads are absolutely ridiculous. A few accident damaged cars at the side of the roads and plenty of abandoned vehicles left in places. Some side roads are quite simply not passable and the main roads are very challenging. 

IMG_7651.PNG

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Baltic

Broken down trucks on the M74 from what I've read and can't get recovery to them, absolout nightmare out there on the roads by the look of it, gritters earning there crust tonight that's for sure!

Screenshot_20180117-003309.thumb.png.0890b6b73bfd5207586617d35db0df42.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Think the main problem with the motorways is the slip roads.Most of them are on a hill so as soon as the trucks stop they can't get going again.Should be a lot better on the roads tomorrow.

• Like 1

Posted

Tried fighting the M 80 but ended up facing the wrong way and thought better of it.

Roads in Stirling are particularly bad snow/slush and ice and the only gritter I've seen was on the pavements.

Be careful if you have to drive.

• Like 2

Posted

We have a dusting of snow here.  Looks like a few showers made it through.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Totals in this part of Glasgow don’t seem to have increased from last night too much. Reports/photos/videos from the south side suggest they’ve taken much more, even areas without much elevation (Cathcart etc). Amazing the difference a few km makes.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

We've got about 15cm here and currently snowing moderately! :cold:

• Like 6

Posted

Woke up to the muffled wind this morning a sign of snow falling on a fresh wind. We have had about an inch overnight.Currently 0c

As HC says proper arctic weather/skies are very rare on a west wind especially the last few decades but I remember in the sixties a few times especially in early winter late November early December watching snow hit a west facing window. We certainly are having a winter this year and to see snow right to the beaches over the water next to the lighthouse at Tarbet Ness is even rarer on a west wind.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

nothing here overnight so remain at 4cm... all the snow we sledged on last night is now compact and frozen so the kids will be happy enough that they have a base to play on. Dont see anymore this week as nothing potent enough to get across here, Sunday perhaps the first opportunity but who knows and will take what we have got from the West

@MR FROST must have finally went to sleep :)

• Like 2

Posted

Morning all,

Nothing to report from Broughty Ferry, sadly didn’t get the cm I was hoping for! :D

Train to Edinburgh today so at least I’ll get to see some snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

No spectacular totals here just a few cms, but just so beautiful to see it all white this morning whilst walking the doggy. Can't beat fresh snaw! (and yes I was walking all over the shop making pretty footprint trails... :D)

IMG_0491.JPG

IMG_0485.JPG

IMG_0488.JPG

• Like 4

Posted

I need to attempt  drive home via the M74 this evening(or head for the back roads)  no doubt that's an Amber warning for Durham tonight

:rofl:

7 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The low tomorrow night is looking slightly too far south to be very useful for many of us although a small jump north brings some of us into the firing line. It's close:

Screenshot_20180117-000221.thumb.jpg.1a0c219be043b5a6b73676e2e635db59.jpg20180117_000322.thumb.png.25a8aae633b5f2792f0e1818d01283cb.png

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 1