Sign in to follow this  
DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

Like yesterday it's cloudy again with the difference being the wind's starting to pick up (as predicted)

21 minutes ago, minus 9 said:

I'm from the south west tread. But heading up to avimore to sample some Scottish snowboarding from next Monday to Friday. Do any off you think the Cairngorms will get plastered from this set up. Would be just as happy stuck in a blizzard.

Possibly during the second half of the week, commencing maybe Tuesday, Wednesday it's hard to call at the moment with orientation and flow changing from run to run but certainly would expect snow at some time from Tuesday through to the end of the week. Depending on how it sets up, it could be biblical 

25 minutes ago, minus 9 said:

I'm from the south west tread. But heading up to avimore to sample some Scottish snowboarding from next Monday to Friday. Do any off you think the Cairngorms will get plastered from this set up. Would be just as happy stuck in a blizzard.

The eastern highlands (so lecht, Glenshee and to an extent Cairngorm) are in a better position to benefit than the west (Glencoe and nevis range).

Your problem could be too much snow! In Scotland it's either that or too little. :wink:

3 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

The eastern highlands (so lecht, Glenshee and to an extent Cairngorm) are in a better position to benefit than the west (Glencoe and nevis range).

Your problem could be too much snow! In Scotland it's either that or too little. :wink:

Too true. When Cairngorm gets the deep snow there's usually a two mile tailback at the Glenmore snow gates cos the mountain road is being dug out!

• Like 1

Morning! RoboMod told me I have been inactive !! that wind is getting colder :) 

atttached some photos of my walk yesterday .. 

648FE832-6B7B-4E78-BB5A-4146CC7BD3FA.jpeg

2C41B743-0377-4242-A76D-8520422512CC.jpeg

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

Possibly during the second half of the week, commencing maybe Tuesday, Wednesday it's hard to call at the moment with orientation and flow changing from run to run but certainly would expect snow at some time from Tuesday through to the end of the week. Depending on how it sets up, it could be biblical 

Cheers for the reply. The more the merrier.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Cheers for the reply. Bring it on

1 hour ago, minus 9 said:

Bring a shovel.

5C in Fort William, bit of a breeze and thick cloud makes it feel quite raw. 

• Like 1

Newbie here.  Been looking at the models thread and from what I can see they almost all look like down south being hit with cold weather - not here?

Is this right or will we get some of the white stuff here?  Ideally in the central belt (quite fancy snowboarding down cockleroi again - not done it since 2010)

1 hour ago, Ruzzi said:

I think that you are correct. With the convective showers not that much penetrates through. In 1987 for example the East coast and Central belt with no hills to the East got plastered but the West Highlands got nothing and Speyside a few inches  only. Later in the week as troughs and depression come in to play there is the chance of heavy snow though.

• Like 1

@jamieson87 make sure you add your location to your details....... dont worry its not too stalk you just so when u report its snawing we know whaur aboots 

• Like 5

I see the mets latest update focuses most of the heaviest snow likely to be south and east.   Are we likely to see any of the white stuff in the north east next week? 

3 minutes ago, Norrance said:

I think that you are correct. With the convective showers not that much penetrates through. In 1987 for example the East coast and Central belt with no hills to the East got plastered but the West Highlands got nothing and Speyside a few inches  only. Later in the week as troughs and depression come in to play there is the chance of heavy snow though.

i think we will see odd flurries from early Monday and some half decent showers later Monday night making it in as far as Perth and Tueaday Wednesday far more heavy snow reaching further in..... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, edo said:

@jamieson87 make sure you add your location to your details....... dont worry its not too stalk you just so when u report its snawing we know whaur aboots 

Done. I'll be sure to check in should I spot any of the white stuff.

Fingers crossed anyway.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gogoslo said:

I see the mets latest update focuses most of the heaviest snow likely to be south and east.   Are we likely to see any of the white stuff in the north east next week? 

With the forecast temps as long as the flow is off the North Sea you should get snow even if you are nearer the  high pressure. Later in the week you may get more "organised" snowfall.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Yeah, spot on. In terms of managing expectations, if you have significant high ground to your east I wouldn’t be expecting much if any snow from the convective easterly (assuming it does happen of course). So if you’re on the Clyde coast or live next to @mistyqueen I’d be looking for signs of troughs moving into the cold air later next week for snow potential. 

Question is, should I be booking time off work next week to work on the snow predictions table?:D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Question is, should I be booking time off work next week to work on the snow predictions table?:D

That would be a yes!?

Test your ability to cope with an Easterly.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Just now, Norrance said:

That would be a yes!?

Test your ability to cope with an Easterly.

I’m scared!

Who needs snow anyway (says the guy who has seen just one fall at home in 7 years) when you have glorious sunny days like today! :)

Reached -4.8c at Leuchars this morning, coldest reading of the month!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Yes!! No need to worry about marginality, it'll be more about topography, convective potential, identifying troughs and area of more organised precipitation and you might not get another chance to have a go at predictions like these until the next easterly in 2026 ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, minus 9 said:

Cheers for the reply. The more the merrier.

Aye certainly will be interesting, keep us updated 'when' it starts to come down ?

Met office text forecast mentions snow showers up here on Sunday.

6 hours ago, jamieson87 said:

Do the models really show not much snow for Scotland?

Not too much forecast for my neck of the woods as I'm too far west! Some folk in the east look like they'll be getting a severe dumping, but I had my fair share during the last snowfall when it was all from the west. I might get a dusting and that's fine by me. Time for others to get a few inches of white stuff to play in! :cold:

• Like 2