Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

Recommended Posts

Like yesterday it's cloudy again with the difference being the wind's starting to pick up (as predicted)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, minus 9 said:

I'm from the south west tread. But heading up to avimore to sample some Scottish snowboarding from next Monday to Friday. Do any off you think the Cairngorms will get plastered from this set up. Would be just as happy stuck in a blizzard.

Possibly during the second half of the week, commencing maybe Tuesday, Wednesday it's hard to call at the moment with orientation and flow changing from run to run but certainly would expect snow at some time from Tuesday through to the end of the week. Depending on how it sets up, it could be biblical 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, minus 9 said:

I'm from the south west tread. But heading up to avimore to sample some Scottish snowboarding from next Monday to Friday. Do any off you think the Cairngorms will get plastered from this set up. Would be just as happy stuck in a blizzard.

The eastern highlands (so lecht, Glenshee and to an extent Cairngorm) are in a better position to benefit than the west (Glencoe and nevis range).

Your problem could be too much snow! In Scotland it's either that or too little. :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

The eastern highlands (so lecht, Glenshee and to an extent Cairngorm) are in a better position to benefit than the west (Glencoe and nevis range).

Your problem could be too much snow! In Scotland it's either that or too little. :wink:

Too true. When Cairngorm gets the deep snow there's usually a two mile tailback at the Glenmore snow gates cos the mountain road is being dug out!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morning! RoboMod told me I have been inactive !! that wind is getting colder :) 

atttached some photos of my walk yesterday .. 

648FE832-6B7B-4E78-BB5A-4146CC7BD3FA.jpeg

2C41B743-0377-4242-A76D-8520422512CC.jpeg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

Possibly during the second half of the week, commencing maybe Tuesday, Wednesday it's hard to call at the moment with orientation and flow changing from run to run but certainly would expect snow at some time from Tuesday through to the end of the week. Depending on how it sets up, it could be biblical 

Cheers for the reply. The more the merrier.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

The eastern highlands (so lecht, Glenshee and to an extent Cairngorm) are in a better position to benefit than the west (Glencoe and nevis range).

Your problem could be too much snow! In Scotland it's either that or too little. :wink:

Cheers for the reply. Bring it on

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, minus 9 said:

I'm from the south west tread. But heading up to avimore to sample some Scottish snowboarding from next Monday to Friday. Do any off you think the Cairngorms will get plastered from this set up. Would be just as happy stuck in a blizzard.

Bring a shovel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5C in Fort William, bit of a breeze and thick cloud makes it feel quite raw. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Newbie here.  Been looking at the models thread and from what I can see they almost all look like down south being hit with cold weather - not here?

Is this right or will we get some of the white stuff here?  Ideally in the central belt (quite fancy snowboarding down cockleroi again - not done it since 2010)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ruzzi said:

Possibly during the second half of the week, commencing maybe Tuesday, Wednesday it's hard to call at the moment with orientation and flow changing from run to run but certainly would expect snow at some time from Tuesday through to the end of the week. Depending on how it sets up, it could be biblical 

I think that you are correct. With the convective showers not that much penetrates through. In 1987 for example the East coast and Central belt with no hills to the East got plastered but the West Highlands got nothing and Speyside a few inches  only. Later in the week as troughs and depression come in to play there is the chance of heavy snow though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@jamieson87 make sure you add your location to your details....... dont worry its not too stalk you just so when u report its snawing we know whaur aboots 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see the mets latest update focuses most of the heaviest snow likely to be south and east.   Are we likely to see any of the white stuff in the north east next week? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Norrance said:

I think that you are correct. With the convective showers not that much penetrates through. In 1987 for example the East coast and Central belt with no hills to the East got plastered but the West Highlands got nothing and Speyside a few inches  only. Later in the week as troughs and depression come in to play there is the chance of heavy snow though.

i think we will see odd flurries from early Monday and some half decent showers later Monday night making it in as far as Perth and Tueaday Wednesday far more heavy snow reaching further in..... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, edo said:

@jamieson87 make sure you add your location to your details....... dont worry its not too stalk you just so when u report its snawing we know whaur aboots 

Done. I'll be sure to check in should I spot any of the white stuff.

Fingers crossed anyway.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gogoslo said:

I see the mets latest update focuses most of the heaviest snow likely to be south and east.   Are we likely to see any of the white stuff in the north east next week? 

With the forecast temps as long as the flow is off the North Sea you should get snow even if you are nearer the  high pressure. Later in the week you may get more "organised" snowfall.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Norrance said:

I think that you are correct. With the convective showers not that much penetrates through. In 1987 for example the East coast and Central belt with no hills to the East got plastered but the West Highlands got nothing and Speyside a few inches  only. Later in the week as troughs and depression come in to play there is the chance of heavy snow though.

Yeah, spot on. In terms of managing expectations, if you have significant high ground to your east I wouldn’t be expecting much if any snow from the convective easterly (assuming it does happen of course). So if you’re on the Clyde coast or live next to @mistyqueen I’d be looking for signs of troughs moving into the cold air later next week for snow potential. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question is, should I be booking time off work next week to work on the snow predictions table?:D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Question is, should I be booking time off work next week to work on the snow predictions table?:D

That would be a yes!?

Test your ability to cope with an Easterly.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Norrance said:

That would be a yes!?

Test your ability to cope with an Easterly.

I’m scared!

Who needs snow anyway (says the guy who has seen just one fall at home in 7 years) when you have glorious sunny days like today! :)

Reached -4.8c at Leuchars this morning, coldest reading of the month!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Question is, should I be booking time off work next week to work on the snow predictions table?:D

Yes!! No need to worry about marginality, it'll be more about topography, convective potential, identifying troughs and area of more organised precipitation and you might not get another chance to have a go at predictions like these until the next easterly in 2026 ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, minus 9 said:

Cheers for the reply. The more the merrier.

 

Aye certainly will be interesting, keep us updated 'when' it starts to come down ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Met office text forecast mentions snow showers up here on Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jamieson87 said:

Do the models really show not much snow for Scotland?

Not too much forecast for my neck of the woods as I'm too far west! Some folk in the east look like they'll be getting a severe dumping, but I had my fair share during the last snowfall when it was all from the west. I might get a dusting and that's fine by me. Time for others to get a few inches of white stuff to play in! :cold:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...