Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
1 minute ago, Mr Frost said:

This is insane now - 35 minutes of total whiteout conditions and still going! Without doubt the heaviest snowfall I have ever seen. 

I am currently in Croftfoot (four miles Southeast of Glasgow city centre and it is just bonkers what is currently falling!) Cars are stopping on the road and just waiting it out - Amber warning for here well merited!  

Send us some of that please :) 

Tim

• Like 1

Posted

@edo I know, I think I was underestimating on quite a few of my predictions! Unfortunately overestimated a couple too! :rofl:

@Norrance Just had a short shower here in the Ferry, nice to see though still a way to go before I get lying snow!

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, edo said:

been bike sledging since home from work.... great fun 

what the hell is bike sledging?

Posted

Another wee video of one of the earlier mini-blizzards, just had another blast there, seemed even more intense this time!

Snow 2

Edited by grifter
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
5 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

This is insane now - 35 minutes of total whiteout conditions and still going! Without doubt the heaviest snowfall I have ever seen. 

I am currently in Croftfoot (four miles Southeast of Glasgow city centre and it is just bonkers what is currently falling!) Cars are stopping on the road and just waiting it out - Amber warning for here well merited!  

Sounds like the south of the city has had far more snow than the north.

• Like 1

Posted

Heavy snow in Cambuslang for almost an hour now. Almost blizzard conditions at times. There is a bit of a wind at times which it driving it along at times. Glasgow City must have taken a fair bit looking at the radar. Driving conditions don't look good. And more to come looking at the radar.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
4 minutes ago, cscrim said:

what the hell is bike sledging?

tried to attach a video but too big a file even ehen trimmed down to a few seconds.... i get some long string and tie the sledge to my mountain bike and cycle around the cul de sac..... great fun 

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, colrobs said:

Heavy snow in Cambuslang for almost an hour now. Almost blizzard conditions at times. There is a bit of a wind at times which it driving it along at times. Glasgow City must have taken a fair bit looking at the radar. Driving conditions don't look good. And more to come looking at the radar.

I have purposely not looked at radars tonight in case I seen a snow shield lol, just enjoy whatever comes along!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Had a lively drive back from Crieff just after 4pm. Left here: roads clear, even after the regular top-ups throughout the day.

One very heavy shower - and another temporary whiteoot - later and it was a crawl back from Crieff in a caterpillar conga line behind a bus, taking about 40 mins.

Has continued to snaw at will and now we're safely below freezing point, it's topping up nicely. -0.4C/-1C. 

Snaps from a couple of hours ago. Was a mere 3 inches then. 

IMG_20180116_1737495.jpg

IMG_20180116_1738189.jpg

IMG_20180116_1735311.jpg

IMG_20180116_1742030.jpg

IMG_20180116_1743263.jpg

• Like 7

Posted

Wish NLC would just make the call to close all schools tomorrow and give folk a chance to organise things.   That's on for at least another 5-6 hours on and off.

Posted
2 minutes ago, edo said:

tried to attach a video but too big a file even ehen trimmed down to a few seconds.... i get some long string and tie the sledge to my mountain bike and cycle around the cul de sac..... great fun 

fantastic, wish id thought of that when kids were a few years younger.

Posted
1 minute ago, grifter said:

I have purposely not looked at radars tonight in case I seen a snow shield lol, just enjoy whatever comes along!

Enjoy !

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, edo said:

Same here edo, getting this

IMG_6545.thumb.PNG.9d1aea8005751486c118a2a7ffbb3a94.PNG

Any tech boffins suggest anything? Using iPhone and can't clip it, cheers 

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 1

Posted

Urrggghhhh! Everything out the front door was white, quiet and fantastic looking. Then the council send folks round with noisy things, big metal scraping things and brown sandy sh*t! :angry:

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 2

Posted
8 hours ago, 101_North said:

Urrggghhhh! Everything out the front door was white, quiet and fantastic looking. Then the council send folks round with noisy things, big metal scraping things and brown sandy super duper! :angry:

They are quick enough to clear snow I'm sure they know we like it and they are just spoiling our fun!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Kind of surreal sat here reading all your snow stories when, as predicted giving the direction its coming from, there's not a flake to be found here. I'm not venturing near the MOD thread though just in case any of you posted a snow picture in there. :girl_devil:

2 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Kind of surreal sat here reading all your snow stories when, as predicted giving the direction its coming from, there's not a flake to be found here. I'm not venturing near the MOD thread though just in case any of you posted a snow picture in there. :girl_devil:

we had one shower get thru at lunch time gave a dusting but that's it, everything on the radar looks good but by the time it reaches huntly is died out.. 14 miles to far east at the moment.. think I might move again..:rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)
21 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Croftfoot was mayhem around 5pm tonight, looked like there was a car on side of the road (road may have been closed off?) plus other drivers where attempting to get up hill but no success. Must be a good 6/7 cm of snow here in Castlemilk, maybe best snowfall since 2010.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

This Iguana looking blob might pack a punch on it's way through...

Well played @edo :hi:

image.thumb.png.b382e8c8c2186220b9dd75379694b135.png

• Like 6

Posted
11 minutes ago, Northern Strath said:

Same here edo, getting this

IMG_6545.thumb.PNG.9d1aea8005751486c118a2a7ffbb3a94.PNG

Any tech boffins suggest anything? Using iPhone and can't clip it, cheers 

im on android but i found a video editor feature which let me trim the video and reduce the quality to get it below the 7mb..... i would imagine the iphone has an edit function too 

• Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

SS needs to post a GFS chart and a picture of his picnic bench saying how great the GFS was at picking out an extraordinary event far out and GFS is king.... that should do it