Holidays
Local
Radar
Pollen
DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

Had heavy showers on and off all day, kids school bus didn't turn up so I worked from home (not easy with two primary school horrors badgering me). 

Screenshot_20180116-180055.png

Edited by snowidea
  • Like 6

Cold but dry here.  Enjoying the photos nonetheless.  Time for a northerly!

Sorry for asking the obvious but is this keeping up all night? That commute from kilmarnock to Motherwell was brutal and I will start looking into taking the train if conditions are similar tomorrow :-D 

14 minutes ago, Bullseye said:

Incredible drive home from work, first time driving in snow since passing test. After that drive can't believe I am saying this but I think I have went off the idea of snow! Never been so nervous. Main roads at Rutherglen at standstill during which 3/4cm snow must have feel in around 15mins. Car now officially abandoned outside Castlemilk. I am right in saying worst still to come?

Cmon mate - you can’t be saying you have went off the idea of snow on here. :rofl:

Rutherglen is in the Amber warning - plenty more heavy snow showers to come, especially from now to 1am. 

Absolute pasting I am getting at the minute - keep saying this but...it is incredible!!!! :yahoo::snowman-emoji:

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Stuart Taylor said:

Sorry for asking the obvious but is this keeping up all night? That commute from kilmarnock to Motherwell was brutal and I will start looking into taking the train if conditions are similar tomorrow :-D 

2/3am apparently. But that's from the telly and not my forecast.

34 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

The snow is lying in grass surfaces here, everywhere else is slush. Not had anything heavy since this afternoon. Actually so far isn’t as good as the snowfall just after Xmas. Lucky if it’s 2cm here and even on side roads it’s turned to slag. At no stage has it been heavy enough for long enough.

So an unfortunate auto-correct error there - I should learn to check messages more often for that as I seem to be inserting random words into social media messages, emails etc. I promise I don't use that word at all so no idea how it got there, honest!

Some light snow on here, with a couple of decent bands coming up, so I'll stop whinging for now.

• Like 1

When I left East Kilbride this afternoon snow was deep and roads not great. Came down to Clarkston and Giffnock you would wonder what the fuss just a dusting there and in Glasgow nothing lying.. Trying to get back to EK and every road a car park now Clarkston now getting a hammering with snow.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, shuggee said:

2/3am apparently. But that's from the telly and not my forecast.

Thanks. I will reward you with a photo of a strange coloured sky and a traffic jam in Motherwell! 

20180116_182147.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

-1C at sea level. First time today I've seen snow falling at this temp and not settling!

Bizarre, HC, I have no explanation for that. I’ve seen it in Toronto during spring where the suns strength even through clouds heated the ground enough for snow to melt on contact even though air temps were below zero but obviously that would not apply!

Snow on again here! 7-8cm in the garden. Hard surfaces more like 3cm am it melted a fair bit earlier!

• Like 3

I know I should know better but left St Andrews where there was a dusting of snow to come back home to Broughty Ferry and find not even a flake.

1 snowfall in 7 years it remains! :closedeyes:

IMG_2598.thumb.JPG.f9a876ec98efd399843cea3665b8028d.JPGHere's a pic so far. IMG_2597.thumb.JPG.28398e1cfb97d60f305d9615b06bfda8.JPG

Edited by Kayemill
  • Like 3

Heavy snow on again in Motherwell, looks like a good 2 inches + now.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Bizarre, HC, I have no explanation for that. I’ve seen it in Toronto during spring where the suns strength even through clouds heated the ground enough for snow to melt on contact even though air temps were below zero but obviously that would not apply!

-2C now and the dripping has stopped. The snow is very fine now.

Just watched BBC news and not a mention of the snow up here. BBC Scotland covered it obviously but mostly in an all running smoothly manner. 

Mental drive to Irvine from strathaven via darvel.. A71. thunder snow and lightening. Wow better than any ride at the shows. Think the road will be closed soon barely passable n cars getting stuck climbing hills. Total whiteout n blowing a hoolie.  

Edited by jellybaby1969
Spelling
  • Like 3

Well I couldn’t make it to work tonight, what a pity. I guess I will have to go home and take the kids oot in the snaw! :)

A covering, finally. MO observations  28cm Eskdalemuir Aviemore 15cm Kirkwall 6cm Glasgow 3cm Stornoway 3cm Lerwick 2cm until 1700

IMG_1768.jpg

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, Mandy Langlands said:

@Hawesy i feel your pain... nothing here in Carnoustie either:nonono:

Another shower here in West Dundee. Some must get through to the Ferry if not Carnoustie I would think?

• Like 2

We've had quite persistent moderate snow now for the past hour from the same small shower - looks like the Beauly Firth might be producing snow showers? 

• Like 2

Living down in Kent and having been snow free for 4 winters now(bar a 1cm fall on 12th Jan 2017!) it is great seeing all your pics of the snow and it looks like you could be in for a good night as the snow hopefully intensifies in the next 6 hours.Cant believe bbc news showed nothing but hopefully by tomorrow morning that will be different.Good luck to you all tonight and hope you all get plastered!!I will be getting plastered but not with snow:D

• Like 8

Well!  Quite a bit here now... started coming down as I left work just after 4 and went on heavily for over an hour.  Traffic to a standstill and then the bus got stuck going up a hill :) Very enjoyable but I'm not sure if we've had everything we're going to get...

Not working til later tomorrow though, so hopefully time to maybe enjoy any overnight falls if we're lucky.  Enjoy your snow if you've got it folks and commiserations if you've missed out!

Tim

Edited by TinyTim
  • Like 2

As EDO updated we had a hefty shower around 4-5pm that left a good covering here. I'd just got in from work in time for it, but I hear tales of it taking folks an age to get home at 5pm. 

Hoping we might see something more. Just below freezing at mo  Drive safe everyone who still has driving to do tonight. :friends:

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

We've had quite persistent moderate snow now for the past hour from the same small shower - looks like the Beauly Firth might be producing snow showers? 

Is it quite small stuff now? Radar shows your snow very well but hard to pin it down to lake effect. I shall quiz my American friend...

She says 'maybe'... Good enough, I guess.

Edited by Hairy Celt